Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

The M2 was traded in for pops Highlander and now I'm searching for another GT-R. I was offered a 2017 + $54,000 trade in for a 61,000 km white on red 2017 but after doing some research I found out the car was written off by Nissan.

Dads car was here and dealer offered pretty much the same trade in value so it was a no brainer. Now, I'm searching for a new or used GTR for the right price. The GTR market is ridiculous in Canada where a 4/5 year GTR is selling close to MSRP. I guess my only option is really new then and one Nissan dealership is still allowing me to place an order for my desired spec.

I'm facing a dilemma as usual haha. Many dealers are saying by 2023 the R36 would be launched and if I'm going to order a new one why not wait for the latest greatest thing? But wait, the luxury tax would come in play so I should order to avoid that and stick to the same engineering Nissan has done to this car for last decade.

To be honest, I'm not in rush to buy one even. Everything from work is online for me at this moment. Plus, Nissan isn't allowing any test drives due to how short the supply of GT-R are. I've been trying to get a GTR test drive for weeks and little to no luck. One rental car company has one and they're offering test drives in April.

If the used market was to come down and the R36 isn't what I was expecting then I'm going for a used 2017/2018 v10 plus R8. What you all think? let me know

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought mine new in August cause buying a used one just didn't make sense with the current prices. Just go get your GTR man, it's not like the value is going to tank on them, it's a GTR, it will always hold it's value regardless of the market. People spend $80k on 10 year old ones. If you really want an R36 when/if they come out in 2 years, sell your R35 and buy it.

I was like you when I was looking around, spent a year hemming and hawing over what ifs when I could have spent that year driving my GTR. I found a couple used ones at a dealership, 2020 models, and was able to drive it. Looked around for a new Bayside Blue and had it shipped from PA to Chicago. If it's hard to find a test drive, reach out to your local GTR owners club or something.

Idk how the Canadian market is, but what's so specific about the spec you want? There's very minimal options on GTRs, you'll wait another 6-8 months for them to build and ship a car to your dealership and you have no guarantee they won't jack up the price on you once it's there. By the time it gets there you could have a different manager that doesn't agree with the previous selling price.

Just find one at a dealership and negotiate your best deal and have it shipped if it's far. Or fly out and drive it to make sure it's what you want before taking delivery. It's not a cheap purchase, spend the extra money and do it right.

just my 2 cents
You're right about the depreciation. The gtr is strong in value and that's definitely a reason why it stands out among my choices. I might be pulling a trigger sooner than later. Plus they can fix early issues during the time when the R36 launches. Thanks for the opinion and here's 5 cents in return 馃挷

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Canadian luxury tax luckily got pushed a bit (early 2022) from what I鈥檝e heard/read.
I put an order in 2021 November and had my January 2022 production allocation get pushed out to July (sept delivery estimate).
Unsure if Canadian dealers would even be taking orders atm as it seems there is quite a backlog
Let's hope it never comes. I'm just starting to get into 6 figure car territory haha

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lovely colour man. Due to the market conditions, it's a great time to sell any car but a bad time to buy a used car. If you're going knew you maybe fine but wait time is longer to get a car anyways. But, if you have a vehicle on the way or a good one is available around your budget then I'd sale it or see a possible trade in can happened.

I've had a 2018 and 2017 gtr offers with average km. The history of both models was extremely weird. The 2018 spent its time in Toronto, Canada and each year went to Arizona, USA. It was a great spec but the orange seating was another turn off.

The 2017 was exactly what I wanted. It was tuned, came with a pair of rims and was one of my desired colour options. The carafe history was on point and every service from brakes to tires was done at a Nissan dealership. I even give my deposit in but the car was tuned and I wanted to know what's exactly been done before I pull the trigger. I called up the dealership who delivered and this car for years. Found out the bumper was repainted here as first owner curbed it. No biggie really. The dealer said it does void some warranties when the car is tuned and I asked him if he can check which ones. Once he opened it up on the software it stated the car was written off all warranties avoided. This car was also in Quebec and had a lot of on and off services. Pulled away from that one

At the time the gtr 2017 and 2018 was selling for 110K to 115K CDN. Still high but wished I pulled the bullet then but it's better to be safe than sorry. This car isn't cheap I know that's for sure haha

Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Vehicle Hood Blue Light

Vehicle registration plate Land vehicle Car Vehicle Grille

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks bro. So you ended up with a BMW for now? Thats a nice color.
Actually this is the car I had and have sold for my dads highlander. I used the funds for a down payment on a future property though. The GT-R is next and I may pull the bullet this month. I do agree with a lot of people but still in the decision making phase. Still tryna get a test drive but all these dealerships aren't up for it. Let's see

1 - 5 of 5 Posts