Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering, if you go Switzer or Alpha 12, how do we pass a smog check when its due? Especially for those of us in California. If the car is new we get 2 years or after the last smog check we also get 2 years but what do we do when its due?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I am wondering, if you go Switzer or Alpha 12, how do we pass a smog check when its due? Especially for those of us in California. If the car is new we get 2 years or after the last smog check we also get 2 years but what do we do when its due?
I thought new cars were good the first 5 years ---- basically you get a 2015 you don't have to smog until 2020 and then after that it's every other year, two years.

you would obviously need a "magic" smog to be smogged. hahahahaha

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you would obviously need a "magic" smog to be smogged. hahahahaha
Exactly! I'm really curious to hear from tuning companies or owners. If you dont want to respond to the general discussion, please PM.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I just smogged my 09 GTR for the second time since I bought it brand new in 08. The first time was when it was brand new as I bought it from it of state. This second time was necessary for renewing registration a few months ago. They do not put our cars on the dyno nor do they put a sniffer in the tail pipe. They only do a visual and plug into the OBD port and look for codes. My car initially failed as I had not driven it for a while and let the battery die. When I jumped started and drove to the smog station it did not have enough miles logged so the OBD would not allow the test to start. I drove the car for a week and then had it retested and it passed.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Depending on the location, cars are either visually checked and OBD II checked, but some of them are sniffer checked. You can have a catted mid-pipe to pass visual inspection. For the OBD II pass, you need to have the air injection system kept(something removed only for visual reasons). If you run flex fuel, you'll need to temporally unplug it as they often use a air pump connection. To get by without catted down pipes, see me other posts where I discuss not searching for a Big Daddy CEL fix. You really don't want to. (you need 2 BTW for the lower sensors). Make sure all monitors are turned on and go for the drive cycles.

Tuned GTRs can pass emissions, just takes some working with your tuner, and some hardware.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
You know this is a public forum..............this regarding EPA items should be talked about offline. just saying Ronin1099 being you're in CALIFORNIA falls into a CARB thing, should you get pulled over by a savvy LEA who is trained to know what to look for, you're going to get one of those Fucked "ref" tickets or you might get towed and have a CHP inspection..........

Jared, best not be talking about EPA related items on a public forum man, come on dude you know better.....

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know this is a public forum..............this regarding EPA items should be talked about offline. just saying Ronin1099 being you're in CALIFORNIA falls into a CARB thing, should you get pulled over by a savvy LEA who is trained to know what to look for, you're going to get one of those Fucked "ref" tickets or you might get towed and have a CHP inspection..........

Jared, best not be talking about EPA related items on a public forum man, come on dude you know better.....
That's why I said to PM.

·
Knowledge is recession proof!
4,212 Posts
California is the most strict with inspections that you will most likely need to find a way around it. Going to the DMV will most likely fail a modded GTR. You will fail both visual and smog. ONe thing that comes to mind is that @ those power levels you mentioned (A12 vs Switzer R1K), they will not be using a conglomeration of factory sensors. So when you get plugged in during emissions testing, it will not be in the "ready mode".

·
Registered
577 Posts
I told him NOT to do it! I'm always very clear on what NOT they should do.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
California is the most strict with inspections that you will most likely need to find a way around it. Going to the DMV will most likely fail a modded GTR. You will fail both visual and smog. ONe thing that comes to mind is that @ those power levels you mentioned (A12 vs Switzer R1K), they will not be using a conglomeration of factory sensors. So when you get plugged in during emissions testing, it will not be in the "ready mode".
stahp. seriously. When you come to cali and live here and know the laws you can tell me to Stahp.......................when its plugged into the OBD check at the smog they will know when the car shows up, last thing is get flagged as a gross polluter. All to many times I have been up on Angels crest and car is pulled over with the hood opened. If you get stopped CHP"s commercial truck "LEO" division, they give a whole new meaning to "cluster Fucked" Going around you're method will end someone in some shit storm of "FINES"..............

Fellow so.cal GT-R owners who are in the know, wont do stupid shit like this to get into problems. ........

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honestly no one should touch your car after this thread or sell parts to you. Just sell your GT-R and buy something else. Some people...................................................should not even be allowed to touch a lawnmower.
What's that supposed to mean?

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
Man, this thread makes me (at least a little thankful) to be in Alabama--they have no emissions testing; hell, they don't even have annual inspections. Zero fucks given, apparently.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
In CT we have emissions but it's just an ob2 check. You can have an alpha 50 and it'll pass as long as there is no cel. Move to cut and let me drive your lambo

·
Registered
64 Posts
Register you car in Montana. It's very easy to do. No inspections and no emissions testing. Also, no sales tax. If interested pm me and I'll give you the info for the company I use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts