Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off i wont name the vendor/manufacturer since i am here mainly for answers and not to blame anyone just yet.
Few days ago i finished my install of a NEW set of Reputable stock manifold turbo upgrades, ID1300, ETS RACE IC, and SBD modular inlets.
Previously, car was FBO, running flawlessly, 20k miles, tuned by Ben.

After the install if all those new items, i noticed this weird whitish smoke from the tailpipes. i thought it is from the paint on the manifold or whatever, and itll subside with them. But it didnt. When i rev the engine to around 2-3k rpm, and hold for a bit, car starts to smoke and when i let go, it smokes pretty bad.
Those symptoms started immediately after the swap, which was done by a reputable shop who works on GTRs on a daily basis and does those swaps weekly.
We checked everything you can check, vaccum hoses, pc valve, and we even did a compression test and engine is 100% healthy. Car also wont boost past 10psi on 20% WG duty with upgraded actuators.
We will even drop the engine and put the stockers back on if we have to.
I am yet to reach to a solution with the vendor or the manufacturer since tons of costs will be involved, shipping, labor, etc since i am international.
Attached is a video of the problem.
Any input in appreciated. Best Regards.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
white smoke is not oil, which is blue smoke. The watercooling in the turbochargers is isolated from the intake/exhaust so likely not getting into the exhaust from the turbo. If the car was down for some time then condensation could be the issue and the car would need to be taken out and driven to clear. Even normal cars blow white smoke when it is cold. Hard to say about the boost and I assume the shop checked the actuators with pressure before installing. I would recommend a boost leak check to see if you have any leaks in the system.

·
Vendor
2,775 Posts
Pull the midpipe off, and check for oil residue on each downpipe. That'll tell you if there is oil getting into the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I drove it more than 100miles but the issue wont clear up.
We pulled the downpipe and didnt find any oil in it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
pull the mid-pipe as Chris suggested, however I don't think you'll find oil residue since it burns away in the hot exhaust and the exhaust will be fairly sooty/black to begin with. I'd have someone rev the car with the mid-pipe off while the car is on the lift, see which bank is smoking. First thought is oil getting by in the turbo, especially if only one side is smoking and compression/leak down is good on all cylinders.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Is it a BB center section?

Sent from my SM-G900V using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nop not BB. Its just weird. Smoking and a boost problem. Makes us think it is turbo related.
We will drop the engine and put stock back on.
Any suggestions in the mean-time is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Looking at the video, the car looks normal! If there were a problem with the turbo seals, you would've seen smoke when you rev'd also and not only on decel.

·
Boost Whore
686 Posts
Pull the pipe off the outlets and check for oil residue. If the turbo is puking oil it'll either be on the compressor out, or exhaust side.

Did this shop do a boost leak check before hand? They could have overpressurized which will cause it to throw a lot of smoke.

To troubleshoot the boost issue - If the shop didn't do a boost leak test - do that first. If that is good, pull the reference line to the boost solenoid. That removes the wastegates ability to open up. Romp it in 2nd gear (but do NOT stay in it) and log boost. Boos should spike (and it will do it quickly) That'll tell you if its a wastegate or a boost control issue.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
UPDATE: my mechanic worked all day and went above and beyond to install the stock turbos back on to further diagnose the problem.
As soon as we put the stock turbos on (only thing that was changed) car stopped smoking and boosts normally. ONE of the stock manifold turbos i took out was WET. Lets leave it at that for now.
Working out logistics to send them back to the manufacturer and HOPE ill get my full refund back. I also asked them to cover the install of me NEW turbos since i already took care of TWO swaps. i think thats more than fair. Manufacturer seemed liked he will do the right thing which is a good sign.
Will update this thread with further details.
VIDEO:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vendor "KAIZEN" came through and offered to cover shipping back no questions asked. Appreciate the good customer support

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
which stock turbo upgrades were these? It's good to share..

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I rather keep that private until the manufacturer receives the turbos and inspects them.
It doesn't take a genius to figure out the what went wrong, or who is to blame, but i like to be fair.
Hope they do the right thing.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys, should i ask for a refund BEFORE or after i send the turbos back to the manufacturer?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Bad center section most likely. I'm looking at swapping turbos soon so let me know what's up...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Guys, should i ask for a refund BEFORE or after i send the turbos back to the manufacturer?
Depends on who's turbo it is. Different companies react differently but most won't give you a refund until they have the turbos in hand. If they don't want to give you a refund hang gtrlife over their heads and that you will give an honest review of their product... if it's FP they will tell they don't fucking care. If it's FP send me a pm.

·
VR38 Killer
998 Posts
After. As soon as the turbos are delivered.

~Dv8

1 - 20 of 22 Posts