Nissan GT-R Forum banner

Smoking Deal on NGK Race R2558E-9 / R2558E-10

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Gdzilla_ 
#1 ·
Tired of getting bent over for these plugs, I finally found a source for these Spark Plugs that don't add a GT-R tax!

Seems these platforms use the same plug:
2017-2020 Toyota 86
2013 - 2020 Subaru BRZ
2013 - 2016 Scion FR-S Base

these guys sell them in sets of 4 for $112.76 (I bought 3 boxes of 4) I called their Support# and confirmed they have more than 300 boxes of the -9 plugs in stock

John-

#7 ·
In my opinion - yes!

A spark plugs breaking the electrode(s) or the ceramic insulator can cause some serious carnage! Every time a plug self-destructs, that metal and/or ceramic chunk has the potential to damage an exhaust valve, or get lodged in between a piston and the cylinder wall! or do some damage to a turbine wheel. (or worse case all three)

This plug has a much tougher electrode and ceramic insulator designed to take more abuse than the OEM plugs. They are just all around better at handling any unexpected issues like pre-ignition. Cheap insurance for a -very- expensive engine!

John-

Reactions: AND1
#9 ·
Tonight, I am changing the plugs from the OEM break-in plugs to the Race version I always run and thought I’d show a quick comparison of the OEM style NGK DILKAR9A8 (bottom) vs R2558E-9 “Race” plugs:

Household hardware Auto part Technology Engineering Metal

Note that the ground strap on the Race style plug is much shorter than the OEM style plug, this effectively allows heat to transfer more quickly to the body of the plug, making the electrode better resistant to melting off. Also, the center electrode and ceramic insulator are inset into the plug body and has a thicker body designed to withstand greater amounts of mechanical shock (detonation), in addition to greater amounts of thermal shock (temperature changes).

John-

Reactions: Wicked
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.