Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's Father's Day Sunday, and we're coming home from lunch when the GTR steering wheel wobbles and snaps. The car halts to a sudden dead stop, and I switch on the hazards. We safely exit the vehicle to see what happened. All front passenger wheel lug nuts were missing/severed from the wheel hub. I couldn't believe it as we had just been driving at FWY speeds. It's incredible nothing happened at high rates!

Are the stock lug nuts a weak spot on this car? Have any of you upgraded to better, stronger performance studs?
Here are some pictures from earlier today. Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
3,908 Posts
They're not a problem. look for another explanation regarding the stock lugs.
Who tightened them last? Was it possible that someone was interrupted while trying to steal your wheel? Do you have someone "out to get you?" Think carefully...this is serious.

Alexd

·
Registered
349 Posts
I agree they are not the problem. I even have Aluminum log nuts on my s14a silvia never had any probs.

Interesting here they came all off at the same time. did nt you notice any vibrations or noise before they can off?

Reactions: gtrbillet

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Alex D. Yes, it crossed my mind that someone might have tried removing the wheel. The car is garage kept and is only driven on the weekends. The only place someone could've messed with the car was during the 1.5 hours it was parked at the local shopping mall.
@kholdstare: There were a lot of vibrations and a wobbly steering wheel approx 60 seconds before the rim and tire snapped off the wheel hubs.
&GTRBillet: I only recovered one lug nut at the break-down scene. 2 of the bolts severed at the hub, and the others were missing.
@ColoEVO: The car got new brake pads and rotors less than a year ago.

The primary lesson is to CHECK YOUR WHEEL BOLTS & TORQUE SPECS REGULARLY.

I'm still curious if there's a better/stronger wheel bolts for my OEM rim and tire setup.

·
Registered
772 Posts
When were the center caps changed? Not sure about your primary lesson. I daily my car to 126k miles now and never check the lugs. No reason to if installed properly.....like any other car......

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@gtrbillet: I bought the center caps from a forum member 1.5 years ago and used a pry tool to install the center caps. The car gets routine dealer maintenance and has a multi-point inspection done 3 months ago.
The only other explanation would be someone tried to steal/vandalize the car while parked in public.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
If upgrading studs use arp NOT nismo. Arp studs are bulletproof where the nismo are just longer oem studs. My guess is someone tried to steal the wheel and was interrupted as with oem wheels/lugs the risk of just failure is extremely low. Do you have wheel spacers? Thats be my other concern

·
Registered
349 Posts
just fyi. i use lock log nuts from project u. they are not hex but have seven edges. max prevent your problem stealing your wheels.

Reactions: richj92

·
Registered
772 Posts
If upgrading studs use arp NOT nismo. Arp studs are bulletproof where the nismo are just longer oem studs. My guess is someone tried to steal the wheel and was interrupted as with oem wheels/lugs the risk of just failure is extremely low. Do you have wheel spacers? Thats be my other concern
Nismo studs are larger diameter, not longer. 14mm versus 12mm for non nismo.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I don’t think it’s so unlikely. Specifically underage people know the law is on their side. Two months ago during an active work day with many trucks coming through someone came and stole cats from a car in our small lot. I think the most likely reason is that someone was trying to steal them in the middle of the day. Hit them when they think they’re safe.
I too use 7 sided lugs from Project Kics

·
Founder/Admin
26,479 Posts
unlikely but way more feasible than a true stud failure. has to be the lugs were loosened by either a theft attempt or maybe even they worked them selvesloose after the brake work or apparent centercap change. ive never heard of studs snapping on the GTR.

only time ive ever seen something like this is maybe at autocross where someone is swapping wheels and didnt properly tighten the lugs and on the runs the work loose. but even then the wheel comes off but it looks like in this case it partially came off then but the ones that snapped in a bind

·
Registered
102 Posts
I guess my point of it being unlikely is that it is unlikely that a single individual went in and tried to remove the wheel(s), and unless the OP saw someone near their car running/power walking away with tools in hand, it's unlikely.

Considering the most practical/efficient way of stealing someone's wheels - I would have at least three additional "friends" each one responsible for rapidly loosening lug nuts on "their" wheel, someone quickly jacking up the car, and as a team removing all the wheels as quickly as possible. Anything less than that would require a fair bit of time in the middle of the day, at a mall nonetheless. You don't know if the individual is going in for 5mins or 5hrs...you have to be fast if you want to be "successful."

My bet is that it goes back to previous work done on the car and not someone trying to steel a single wheel, getting through all the lug nuts, and then deciding it's not worth their time. I dunno...to me it seems quite unlikely. If you're casing the mall to pull wheels off a car, you're likely going to start the process as soon as the driver is out of sight (in the mall). In this case, the individual(s) had plenty of time.

I dunno...

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Nismo studs are larger diameter, not longer. 14mm versus 12mm for non nismo.
nismo offers aftermarket long studs- oem nismo studs may be the same length. I purchased them originally and they were longer than oem. But when i realized theyre the same (or similar) material as oem i scrapped them for arp- seemingly wouldnt have fit anyway i didnt know diameter was different too

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great feedback, and thanks for the recommendation on the ARP bolts. I filed a police report for the vandalism/robbery attempt, and they told me they would watch the mall parking lot surveillance. S.E Los Angeles is a hotbed for car theft and wheel/tire robbery. I see cars left on bricks and crates once a week. There's a lot of unpleasant activity, and I'll keep you posted on the video surveillance.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I guess my point of it being unlikely is that it is unlikely that a single individual went in and tried to remove the wheel(s), and unless the OP saw someone near their car running/power walking away with tools in hand, it's unlikely.

Considering the most practical/efficient way of stealing someone's wheels - I would have at least three additional "friends" each one responsible for rapidly loosening lug nuts on "their" wheel, someone quickly jacking up the car, and as a team removing all the wheels as quickly as possible. Anything less than that would require a fair bit of time in the middle of the day, at a mall nonetheless. You don't know if the individual is going in for 5mins or 5hrs...you have to be fast if you want to be "successful."

My bet is that it goes back to previous work done on the car and not someone trying to steel a single wheel, getting through all the lug nuts, and then deciding it's not worth their time. I dunno...to me it seems quite unlikely. If you're casing the mall to pull wheels off a car, you're likely going to start the process as soon as the driver is out of sight (in the mall). In this case, the individual(s) had plenty of time.

I dunno...
You’re thinking intellectually on how to commit a crime. You’re not thinking like a crack head who only cares about getting $20 for any wheel they can for their next high. Every mall I’ve been to throughout the US for the last 2 decades has had signs warning people of theft in the lot. They wouldn’t have the signs if it didn’t happen. To you and I it is insane to think of stealing a wheel on the middle of the day. But someone who has injected heroine into their veins could care less; a kid trying to join a street gang in LA knows he’s just going to get a ride to his parents house if he gets caught.
OP says he’s been driving the car for 3 months since last service with no wobble. Then an hour and a half at the mall, gets in the car and within 60 seconds theirs wobble. He’s either leaving out/lying about details or someone tried to steal the wheel.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts