Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi everyone, is there a comprehensive thread about all available downpipes, midpipes, and exhaust systems for the GT-R? If not, could we please start one here?

I've read many threads here and seen many videos on youtube, but can't get a good sense of what I should order with the sound I want from my car based on many of these threads and videos showing owners' cars with combinations of available parts.

What I'm looking for from my overall exhaust sound:

1) Quiet cruising with almost no drone.
2) The most high-pitched sound possible on moderate to full acceleration.
3) The least possible rasp.

From what I understand, many of you with full exhausts are running catless downpipes.

Some are you are running catted midpipes, and I think this is for reducing the rasp of the exhaust and/or downpipes?

You all seem to be running a wide variety of exhausts: Meisterschaft, Password: JDM, etc.

My main questions:

1) What exhaust gives the most high-pitched sound?
2) What down pipe and mid pipe combination is best for reducing rasp? I've read Cobb catless downpipes and catted mid pipes are a popular combination.
3) What downpipe/midpipe/exhaust combination would give me the high-pitched sound with little drone and little rasp?

Thanks so much (in advance) for you help. Just to reiterate, I'm asking these questions here because I have not seen install reviews or videos of exhaust sounds with otherwise stock cars and only one of the three possible parts listed above.

I look forward to your assistance...

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
high pitched sound? The GTR has turbos and will not sound like a Ferrari.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, but the Password JDM and Meisterschaft exhausts have the highest-pitched sounds of available exhausts, correct?

Could you please answer my other questions as well?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is anyone running AMS 90mm catless downpipes and AMS 90mm catless mid-pipe with resonator on a cat-back?
Does it produce a lot of drone? is it actually loud?

thanx for any help

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think the best midpipe for cutting out drone is the HKS or AAM ones. I am not sure you can do downpipes without drone?? Maybe the stock catback helps here??

I had a non-resonated midpipe with catless downpipes and stock exhaust and it was raspy and droned, I hated it. I got the HKS midpipe and it was much better. Later I got the HKS exhaust.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think the best midpipe for cutting out drone is the HKS or AAM ones. I am not sure you can do downpipes without drone?? Maybe the stock catback helps here??

I had a non-resonated midpipe with catless downpipes and stock exhaust and it was raspy and droned, I hated it. I got the HKS midpipe and it was much better. Later I got the HKS exhaust.
That was very useful, really appreciate it!
found one hks resonated mid-pipe here , but it doesnt say whats the diameter...any idea?

·
Premium Member
543 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have a 2016 Premium and I am about to install a AAM non resonated mid-pipe (rest of exhaust stock). However, down the road I plan to do down pipes (most likely catted due to state inspections) and a tune. I guess my question and I realize this is subjective to each persons desires but I really like the look of the stock cat back...I know it is heavy, etc...but from what I gather there is not much HP difference going to an aftermarket cat back exhaust while staying with the stock turbos...so I would think the catted down pipes and non-resonated mid pipe will give me all the HP I can get (say up to 700).

All that to ask others opinion about how (include videos please) would my GT-R sound with this set up Catted Down pipes, non resonated mid-pipe and stock cat back as follows:

1) Loud or not
2) Will this set up sound pretty good (again subjective)
3) Drone...don't mind a little...heck it is a fast car but don't want it excessive

Any other opinions welcome...THANKS!

·
Vendor
2,775 Posts
The car will stay pretty quiet with catted downpipes. Not much different sounding than a stock car with a midpipe. Did you get an adapter flange for that midpipe? You'll probably need one, as I know the 90mm midpipes will typically leak when mated to the stock exhaust if an adapter isn't used. I have them if you do need one.

If your looking for a true 700 horsepower, you'll need a lot more than just a midpipe though.

Here I'll PM you, I can help you sort through a lot your questions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.