Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new to the forum it's impossible to read all the old threads, so if this is redundant I apologize in advance.

In the motorcycle world a quick clean is sometimes crudely referred to as a 'whore's bath'. But let's face it, a full wash is just impractical at times and we'd love to use one of those Spray and Shine type of polishes. But, what about the light grit, might as well be sanding your finish if you put it on even with a slightly dusty GT-R.

What I've been using for years has been Swiffers to very lightly 'dust' the vehicle (mainly my precious motorcycles and my wife's precious Mercedes). So, am now using it on the 2013 GT-R I just acquired.

Remember, a very light dusting. And, works on wheels also to remove brake dust that's not too far gone blemishing those gorgeous wheels. The 'stuff' in the spray can to the right is an Armorall replacement. It sprays on, does not goop up the wheels or 'throw off' like Armorall.

Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to use CA Duster but had to wash it and it wld lose its paraffin coating blah blah. These, use and toss!

·
Registered
414 Posts
good tip, we'll give it a try.. sometimes we just don't have the time for a complete wash when it time for a ride. This might work after short sunday morning rides.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If I may, Please do not put any metal on your paint like this
!!!! Put a microfiber under it, it could scratch easily.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If I may, Please do not put any metal on your paint like this
!!!! Put a microfiber under it, it could scratch easily.
I scratched my head multiple times, WTH are you talking about. I tried to find an HTML link somewhere in the text. Nada, nothing. Hmmmm? Did you mean to embed a picture? Nope, then ta ta, I think I figured it out. You are referring to my spray can on the spoiler? Right? Assuredly I never (hardly ever) put anything on the paint, and I put this on so gingerly that it took me a while, honest, to gently set it. But, you are indeed correct!

·
Registered
414 Posts
hahahah...... I started laughing after I figured it out too
I'm sure u took exteme care to place it there only for demo/photo purpose.

·
Registered
361 Posts
yeah guys hahaha!!! the can on the wing! I doubt the plastic box will scratch but the metal can could

·
Registered
139 Posts
yeah guys hahaha!!! the can on the wing! I doubt the plastic box will scratch but the metal can could
Assuredly, the cardboard box and the can were placed on very gingerly. BTW, allow me to open up ANOTHER controversial topic within this same thread.MICROFIBER rags can and and will cause clear coat damage if buffed too vigorously. Normally cannot be seen on colors like white, gray, etc. but get a black car, put it under severe fluorescent lights and wow . . . horrible.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Assuredly, the cardboard box and the can were placed on very gingerly. BTW, allow me to open up ANOTHER controversial topic within this same thread.MICROFIBER rags can and and will cause clear coat damage if buffed too vigorously. Normally cannot be seen on colors like white, gray, etc. but get a black car, put it under severe fluorescent lights and wow . . . horrible.
exactly, whats the poing of buffing vigorously ? Don't and it wont scratch.

·
Registered
711 Posts
your giving me a heart attack w that can on the spoiler!!! no!!!!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
AHHHH now your talking
!! :p

·
MacWaxx
388 Posts
Not tryin to be a know -it -all. If u use a duster or anything like it on a lightly dusty surface, it will likely scratch. You would have to set the car up under fluorescent lights and test. I have tested the duster on my 350z just before doing a full paint restoration in the past using flex buffers and menzerna and it is brutal for swirls. Take a microcloth and rub it lightly and then more firmly on a blank dvd disc and see what happens. I can't say whether the other products mentioned scratch but mostly everything scratches .....some things scratch less. For motorcycles and cars for 'touch up' between 'real' washes i use a foam gun followed by a ' master blaster'. Foam the vehicle up, rinse, then use the dribble method to minimize left over water then blow dry. This way it looks reasonable in terms of removing dust and takes 10-15 minutes if u get good at it. You cannot touch the car with any products though because it is not completely clean but its good for in between real washes. Road dirt won't come off with this method and the car/bike eventually needs to be washed properly then clayed to remove the buildup. For straight pollen dust i'll often just dribble water only and drive away if in a hurry.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The hardness of the coating of the cd is not the same as a clear coat on a GTR.

We use the california duster at autoshow and the cars is still good after 2 weeks

·
Registered
361 Posts
I don't even see a meguiars products, are you trying to spam your website?

·
MacWaxx
388 Posts
The hardness of the coating of the cd is not the same as a clear coat on a GTR.

yep i agree but it's a surprise for some people nontheless

We use the california duster at autoshow and the cars is still good after 2 weeks
I wiped the C dust buster down the drivers side (of my Z) under the lites when the car had dusty dirt and it put 50 or 60 scratches like draggin a rake down with wiggles like the needles on a lie detector test. didn't take pics but my mentor dude was there to see it. May be different on a slightly dusty show car. Was in Vegas this year at the track and all the staff were out there scrubbin away at the exotics with micros etc and they were all swirled to beat the band.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts