Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Vendor
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We here at SP Engineering paired up with Swift USA to test out their new prototype lowering springs for the 2012 GT-R platform. As you're aware 2008-11 GT-R's were equipped with softer spring rates from the new 2012 models (18KGM's in the front) which lead to the creation of SPEC R springs by Swift.

Swifts Prototype Spec R lowering springs come in at a firm 19.7KGM for the fronts and 9KGM for the rears. Allowing for a much more solid ride as well as approximately 1" drop all around. Please keep note that these springs are still in the testing stage so numbers may change.

These springs were installed on one of our clients (Mike's) MY12′s GT-R. Currently our client is happy with these springs as they are stating "The very first thing I noticed from the new Swift Spec R springs was my cars ride height. From my first initial drive I noticed that these springs are much stiffer. I also noticed the handling was a lot better through turns. I really like the overall height now, it gives my car an even better and much more aggressive look with my setup."

Stock ride height:

Swift Spec R lowering spring:

The current price on these springs is still TBA/TBD stay tuned for more updates!

More images can be found here: http://www.sp-power....-gt-r-platform/

Eugene @ SP Engineering

·
Registered
883 Posts
Looks good. I need a set of these please!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Looks like Celcius and I are ready for some good NAGTROC pricing on a set of springs. I really hope they aren't marked up price wise as that will just push me to KW sleeves.

·
SF Bay Area Member
548 Posts
Hi guys, not sure you saw the other thread on this topic. But I just installed some Swift springs on my 2012 and I LOVE them...supposedly they are the "newer" version. The ride is better (softer) than stock in COMF mode and more aggressive in R mode! The drop was about 1.5"

Here is a crappy cell phone pic

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hey Synergy your car is looking good and your pic motivated me to look more into suspension for my 2012. I cannot wait to see pics with spacers as I already am running H&R 15mm/20mm. Could you pm me the price you paid for springs and labor?

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
I just need a price quote on the springs as I do the installations myself.

·
Vendor
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is no pricing at this time. This is the first prototype and testing isn't complete. We will keep you posted. There may be changes to the height as the rears seem to be high or the fronts are a little low.

More updates soon.

Eugene @ SP Engineering

·
Registered
883 Posts
Thanks Eugene for the clarification. Any rough ETA on when the Spec R springs will be made generally available?

·
Vendor
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Eugene for the clarification. Any rough ETA on when the Spec R springs will be made generally available?
Another sample set will be arriving within 2-3 weeks for further testing. We could be looking at 2 months before production starts.

·
Registered
883 Posts
2 months is a bit longer than I would like. Is the biggest anticipated difference between SpecR and Sport the spring rate? Or will height also be different?

·
Vendor
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2 months is a bit longer than I would like. Is the biggest anticipated difference between SpecR and Sport the spring rate? Or will height also be different?
The regular Sport spring by Swift will fit without problems but the spring rates are softer then your factory springs. Only other functional option at this point is to use KW sleeve kits or any other coilover setups.

·
Vendor
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PM sent!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
No disrespect, but I'm not sure what you guys are actually testing aside from ride height. Does Swift test their components on the track? I don't want to do anything to negatively impact my car's performance. If this is all the testing involved, then I think I'll go with the KW Sleeve Kit.

Also, I've heard a rumor that Eibach makes Swift's springs. Is that true?

·
Registered
22 Posts
No disrespect, but I'm not sure what you guys are actually testing aside from ride height. Does Swift test their components on the track? I don't want to do anything to negatively impact my car's performance. If this is all the testing involved, then I think I'll go with the KW Sleeve Kit.

LOL. I dont know where you got your info from, but Swift has grown huge in the race market. Eibach may be a big company but they dont really compare in spring quality. Eibach used to dominate the local Circle track here in SoCal at Irwindale Speedway 4 years ago, but now about 80% of the guys are on Swift on any given day.
Google and learn.

http://www.northamer...ngs-dynoed.html
http://forum.e46fana...t=swift+springs

·
Vendor
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

No disrespect at all. Everyone is entitled to learn something new everyday.

Swift caters to circle track, formula cars, super GT, ALMS, Grand Am, dirt late models and modifieds, trophy trucks, stadium trucks and motorcross. I may be missing more. if you need more information please visit http://www.swiftsprings.com/.

I myself along with other colleagues who have been modifying cars have even taken coil springs from KW's, JRZ, Tein's and replaced them with Swift coil springs and have experienced improvements. Majority of the spring manufacturers out in the market use typical silicone chrome steel however Swift has their own blend of magnetic steel.

I also doubt Swift wants the end user to negatively impact your vehicles performance which is why it is taken this long to go into production.

·
Vendor
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 65 Posts