Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good write up too Sean! im putting ur site back on my fav's.... got a new mobile phone and lost all my bookmarks :(

all this goes to show there is alot of work and skills going into more than just power... like tire/wheel, suspension, tune, etc setups that need to be tweeked to get the best results.

i really can't wait to see either Hing break is record with his current setup or see the spe godzilla package to beat the current record.

looks like ams is working hard too and this is going to be a battle of epic proportions! i love the comments mike made about the fanboys, haters and what not. really good comments.
to top all this off Switzer is working hard and taking notes. im wondering when or if they will counter. i know they have commented about a syvecs with good results and iirc that is being updated soon and release will be rolling out soon, very excited to hear what they can accomplish with that and there massive power gtrs!

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
good write up too Sean! im putting ur site back on my fav's.... got a new mobile phone and lost all my bookmarks :(

all this goes to show there is alot of work and skills going into more than just power... like tire/wheel, suspension, tune, etc setups that need to be tweeked to get the best results.

i really can't wait to see either Hing break is record with his current setup or see the spe godzilla package to beat the current record.
Thanks Ian.

I was talking to Mike last night. I have known him a number of years, and he has helped me out with suspension setup on the R34. He has been a big Nissan guy for years...and he just bought a 2009 Nissan GT-R himself. A 2000 mile 2009. Look for it as another MotoIQ project vehicle.

When we start getting more serious about making the cars go fast in a straight line, there are a number of considerations besides just power. Making power is the "easy" part. Putting it to the ground with an all wheel drive car though a transaxle is much harder. With Mike on their side, SP/Greddy/Hing have an advantage. He sees suspension movements, and can calculate things in 30 seconds that us "normal" folk would take a year to figure out.

·
R35 GT-R
2,070 Posts
to top all this off Switzer is working hard and taking notes. im wondering when or if they will counter. i know they have commented about a syvecs with good results and iirc that is being updated soon and release will be rolling out soon, very excited to hear what they can accomplish with that and there massive power gtrs!
Switzer will only counter if a customer tells them that he wants a record-breaking car, and is willing to allow them to do what's necessary to achieve that. If that ever happens, I think the end-result would shock a lot of people.

Great job AMS and SPE. Keep pushing the envelope, guys.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This article has ALOT of information in it. very informative. i could quote alot from the article but then i might aswell just copy paste the whole thing lol, so ill just quote this. its not the most important quote, just one of many from the article.
What you can't see will kill you. The engine uses a Greddy big bore block. The block is dry sleeved in Japan by the same company that does Nismo's JGTC engines. The same company also CNC ports the cylinder heads. Greddy turned to Japan after having no luck with the reliability of American machine shops and sleeves. The sleeves kept sinking until the machine work was sourced in Japan. The dry sleeves improve the block integrity over the previously used wet sleeves. Greddy rods, stroker crank and forged pistons are also used to get 4.3 liters from the engine.
page4 is my favorite page, talking about the aftermarket suspension parts used and the settings they had to dial in (not in detail)

Sean, ive been keeping up with motoIQ lately. especially the FB page and the site, nothing more tho. i love the new gt-r they are getting for project, its going to be pretty exciting. i dont know Mike, but i know of his reputation and have seen his presence online & mags for a long time running (as well as some of the other guys at motoIQ). good buncha guys, even tho i give them a hard time about one particular topic on fb. Im glad that Mike and KW etc were involved in this, i didnt find out until i asked them about it, and found more details out with this article. It definatly gave SPE/Greddy a 1up with breaking the record (tho ams came back with a different setup, different launch, more power etc and beat the the record they just set).

going to be a fun year!

·
Registered
6,078 Posts

What you can't see will kill you. The engine uses a Greddy big bore block. The block is dry sleeved in Japan by the same company that does Nismo's JGTC engines. The same company also CNC ports the cylinder heads. Greddy turned to Japan after having no luck with the reliability of American machine shops and sleeves. The sleeves kept sinking until the machine work was sourced in Japan. The dry sleeves improve the block integrity over the previously used wet sleeves. Greddy rods, stroker crank and forged pistons are also used to get 4.3 liters from the engine.

Interesting

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts

Interesting
It was funny, when I was at Motorex long ago, and we were working with Tommy Kaira and Subaru engines. They were saying that some special machine needed to be used to bore the blocks, and that the engines might need to go to Japan.

The machine was made by Sunnen in St. Louis, Missouri.

However, its not just the machine, but the guys that know how to use it. There are ways to fix anything/everything, but those are like race secrets, not everyone is forthcoming with the info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts