Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Founder/Admin
26,444 Posts
yeah i dont know if they are gonna use the specR branding or not or call it a track edition... i just know its for RHD markets

its basically a street legal of the club track edition with some new aero parts on top of the 2013 upgrades

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
yeah i dont know if they are gonna use the specR branding or not or call it a track edition... i just know its for RHD markets

its basically a street legal of the club track edition with some new aero parts on top of the 2013 upgrades
the spec-r was suppose to be something completely different, from what people and articles were saying.... however Nissan has the ultimate choice in what they decided to do with the spec-r badge.... the spec-r is NOT this car based on claims that were mentioned prior thats for certain. nissan may decide to label it as such... sofar its been referenced as the club track edition or track edition iirc. im pretty sure USA wont get it, but who knows for sure. I do recall an article stating that it has a brake cooling system to reduce temps by 100 degrees which is beneficial.

A possibility is that Nissan doesnt think a spec-r at over 180k+ in limited numbers would be a good idea atm or at all, hence the track edition for the street in RHD markets?

·
Registered
7,876 Posts

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
too much regulation
Although I understand, I don't understand.

I know that there is a lot of testing/approval/standards (crash tests paid for by manufacturer, emissions, etc...), but what about reducing some weight, and other improvements is cost prohibitive, or just downright impossible?

I believe they adopted an entirely new setup (V6) because of the desire to bring it to the US. Why stop there? It obviously comes back to money, and whether or not Nissan will recoup its investments in this low volume trim. But what are you suggesting the reasons for Nissan not bringing these additional variants here?

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Although I understand, I don't understand.

I know that there is a lot of testing/approval/standards (crash tests paid for by manufacturer, emissions, etc...), but what about reducing some weight, and other improvements is cost prohibitive, or just downright impossible?

I believe they adopted an entirely new setup (V6) because of the desire to bring it to the US. Why stop there? It obviously comes back to money, and whether or not Nissan will recoup its investments in this low volume trim. But what are you suggesting the reasons for Nissan not bringing these additional variants here?
I cannot say with certainty in the case of the GT-R, but look at the new VW Golf R. Being offered with only a 6-spd (no DSG) in the US because it would require too much additional effort to pass vehicle regulations. And there will be ~5K of those sold per year. I'm sure options on the GT-R are kept to a very minimal level so there will be little or no additional certification requirements. Think about the things that have been options... floor mats, back up camera, BE which consists of different wheels and interior panels... no real options that change vehicle dynamics in any way. Therefore, no need for additional safety, crash, and whatever testing required to qualify for US sales.

·
The Nihonjin
308 Posts
DOT usually doesn't let anything fun come through. Same reason why Porsches don't get any of the awesome seats in the US.

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
DOT usually doesn't let anything fun come through. Same reason why Porsches don't get any of the awesome seats in the US.
They could come though, they just need to get certified. The cost of certification is high, so unless it makes $en$e you won't see it.

There are ways to do everything, its always just associated with costs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.