Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the car last year and was already setup on SD. I just installed the 3" Gotboost Performance intakes last night and was going to switch back to MAF recommended by Dave & Tim both.

It looks like it has the Gotboost Performance SD Kit B already installed. Has 2 plugs for the sensor in the boost tube, and 2 plugs on the MAF end. Its on my passenger side and i'm not sure what i'm supposed to flip around to get back to MAF. I've searched around and haven't been able to find anything. Would appreciate some help!

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
Why would you want to go back to a MAF? Selling the car?

Joe

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just installed the 3" Gotboost Performance intakes last night and was going to switch back to MAF recommended by Dave & Tim both.
I applaud Goonthree for providing an excellent concise and direct answer to you question on how to go back to MAF. However, I also would love to know why such a suggestion was made, as it is the opposite of the normal suggestion for a GTR from a tuner, especially if you already converted to SD with injectors already dialed in and now adding a 3" intake system.

·
Super Moderator
3,590 Posts
I'm guessing emissions?
If it's that, and everything is hooked up, can't he just un-install the existing SD Map and install the previous (assuming he has it) MAF Map, without plugging/unplugging anything under the hood?

Alexd

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Reading the original post he stated he just installed 3". So his previous setup was using speed density to eliminate maf saturation issue. Now with new 3" intake, the maf curved will be recalibrated and maf won't be saturation, so it is better than his previous setup. Proper recommendation from his tuner.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reading the original post he stated he just installed 3". So his previous setup was using speed density to eliminate maf saturation issue. Now with new 3" intake, the maf curved will be recalibrated and maf won't be saturation, so it is better than his previous setup. Proper recommendation from his tuner.
Ya buddy you nailed it!!

I have the SD kit that can swap between MAF or SD based tune. No hardware swapping. Got it ironed out with GotBoost last night. Pretty convenient.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

·
Super Moderator
3,590 Posts
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
Thanks for the explanation. The reason i made the suggestion was that in my case I already had the 3" and calibration for it with MAF. THEN I went to SD. I don't need to change anything when eventually I will need to un-install and go back to MAF for emission testing.

Alexd

·
Registered
501 Posts
SD does not make sense if you are only at FBO as MAF is more accurate. That is why Dave recommended it before and now.

·
Registered
645 Posts
What about when you have a bov which is vta?

Is maf still accurate?

Sent from my SM-G900F using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
501 Posts
No it won't be when it is actually venting to atmosphere. causing a momentarily rich condition. I would not put an aftermarket BOV anyways on a stock car as the factory BOV is more than good enough at stock/FBO power levels. No value added for me. Some do it because they like to hear the venting sound. I am on SD and VTA BOV because I am over MAF limits.

·
Registered
645 Posts
So the rich condition because the air which supposed been counted for by the maf sensor is no more because it's ventilated... This is clear now. What do you mean by you are beyond the maf limit?

Am planning actually to go SD once I install intakes 3" with VTA bovs and injectors...

Is it the right way? Or still I can stay on maf since maf reading is more accurate..

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Maf is more accurate but sd is better if you want to vent to atmosphere. 3" intake with maf max. Out around 750 whp. That is when the maf reading is over 4.91 V.

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
No it won't be when it is actually venting to atmosphere. causing a momentarily rich condition. I would not put an aftermarket BOV anyways on a stock car as the factory BOV is more than good enough at stock/FBO power levels. No value added for me. Some do it because they like to hear the venting sound. I am on SD and VTA BOV because I am over MAF limits.
Not necessarily true. My car had 4k miles on it and the boost was dropping 1/2 pound at redline to 12.5. I replaced with gfb bovs and it held 13psi all the way to redline.

Joe

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
645 Posts
Maf is more accurate but sd is better if you want to vent to atmosphere. 3" intake with maf max. Out around 750 whp. That is when the maf reading is over 4.91 V.
Thanks for clarification.. I see that you are looking at hp not the size of the intake system when saying maf reading is over 4.91v (which is true as per the data logging reading which I have) .... Isn't the voltage related to the flow of the air.. I mean volume of intake piping? Or when referencing hp, its because of the amount of g/s sucked by the engine at this power level compared with less power using the same intake size?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Not necessarily true. My car had 4k miles on it and the boost was dropping 1/2 pound at redline to 12.5. I replaced with gfb bovs and it held 13psi all the way to redline.

Joe

Isn't this related to turbo actuators? If you are not holding boost, or over boosting this is a symptom of a weak actuator!?

·
Registered
501 Posts

Joe

That would be an exception. Based on statements by experienced and respected tuners, the stock BOV is good to at least 20 PSI, up to 23 by some.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts