Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
This is a bit weird. I'm glad that the super test was done cause they use the same standards like star and stop locations and flying starts etc. So that now evens out the differences between the zr1 manufacture vid (since nissan uses the same standards as sport auto). But clearly watching the original zr1 showed it could go much faster if the driver made better choices. Maybe there was traffic or something. But it goes to show its not that easy to drive a zr1.

I don't have any scans yet but as soon as I find them I will post them here.

Here are the key figures (ZR1 / GT-R):
Nürburgring - 7:38 / 7:38
Hockenheimring - 1:09,7 / 1:10,7
Wet Handling Course - 1:35,8 / 1:32,4

·
Registered
405 Posts
This is what we call a definitive result.

The ZR1 is a staggering 12km/h faster than the GT-R down the straight, so there is absolutely no weight to the claim that the GT-R was a ringer. Furthermore the ZR1 posted a massive 1.6g at its best vs the GT-R's highest of 1.45g.

And yet the ZR1 could only match the GT-R's lap time.

You can see that the GT-R is clearly faster than the ZR1 through the difficult technical sections like the Fuchsrohre, Pflanzgarten, Anfahrt-Schwalbenschwanz and Metzgesfeld.

All these parts of the track are characterized by camber transitions, bumps and sharp dips.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
And to come off as a fanboy, this is a compounding incrimination against the anti-GT-R crowd:

1. Sport Auto actually recreated a Nissan Factory-claimed lap time; this paints anti-GT-R fans into a corner.
2. The base model R35 kept up with the top model C6.

Then throw in the semi-recent lap times of the base model running the Spec V wheels, and you then throw more sand onto the faces of the hater crowd. The GT-R is simply a force.

·
Registered
690 Posts
This is a bit weird. I'm glad that the super test was done cause they use the same standards like star and stop locations and flying starts etc. So that now evens out the differences between the zr1 manufacture vid (since nissan uses the same standards as sport auto). But clearly watching the original zr1 showed it could go much faster if the driver made better choices. Maybe there was traffic or something. But it goes to show its not that easy to drive a zr1.
Or maybe the ZR1 that GM drove was a RINGER. ;)

ZR1 is supposed to be easier to drive than the Z06, more stable and progressive at the limit, yet HvS was no quicker in the ZR1 relative to his Z06 time. Both times are ~12s slower than GM's time, when considering the Z06 was timed over a full lap and from a standing start.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
This is what we call a definitive result.

The ZR1 is a staggering 12km/h faster than the GT-R down the straight, so there is absolutely no weight to the claim that the GT-R was a ringer.

And yet the ZR1 could only match the GT-R's lap time.

You can see that the GT-R is clearly faster than the ZR1 through the difficult technical sections like the Fuchsrohre, Pflanzgarten, Anfahrt-Schwalbenschwanz and Metzgesfeld.

All these parts of the track are characterized by camber transitions, bumps and sharp dips.
Also important I think to add, Sport Auto's GT-R for the supertest only managed 4.1s to 100kph. That was positively not an up-tuned press car. Even when running like a bag of sod, it pulled off a 7:38.

No weight to 'ringer theory indeed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
IIRC, yes
ZR1 times have been suspiciously few and far between.

I haven't been keeping track for months, so I may be wrong.
There is another test done by AutoBild Sportscars. The driver was Sacha Bert and the time was 7:41 but apparantly it started to drizzle during the lap. they didnt say how much that affected the lap time. Bert also said that the tires were the stickiest street tires he knows.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Guys I have read some of the responses on this article and video and what nobody on here seems to know is that this ZR1 was tacken to the track on a regular track day when it is open to anybody and not a rented course like GM and Nissan used in their tests. This particular ZR1 put these times down in " Traffic" which is quite different as apposed to when you have the track all to yourself.

Here is another private test done on the N ring with a pro driver Jan Magnussen. The driver even said he felt the car had " teens in it if he had the chance to drive it on a GM sponsored closed course with just him and the car with no traffic. Of course teens have yet to be proven IMO and until someone does it well it's all speculation. Here is the link to the video.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/index...a-Corvette-ZR1

Funny thing is that a lot of Corvette guys said that this test would result in this exact reaction from both the GT-R and Viper ACR community and for sure it has. I believe that both GM, Nissan's and Chrysler's factory times were correct.

Thats all...

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.