Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Forza Felipe
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the star wars last night gents...thought it was absolutely amazing. Anyone else have chance to head out and see the premier?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Im going tomorrow.

Nonetheless the real good movie comes next week.

Tarantinos heightful 8 will be something absolutly incredible trust me on that one.

3 hours long lol

·
Forza Felipe
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are going to love it if your a star wars geek like me lol

·
Pumps one and two, hit 'em!
321 Posts
Very happy with it!

As I am sure many will say without giving away any spoilers, it did make two critical errors that I can forgive but not forget.

·
Forza Felipe
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very happy with it!

As I am sure many will say without giving away any spoilers, it did make two critical errors that I can forgive but not forget.
I couldn't agree more brother

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
What errors? Pm me. I saw it. Couple things I didn't care for, but didn't see any errors...

·
Make soap.
304 Posts
Just saw it, loved it! Actually seeing it again tomorrow

·
Registered
428 Posts
I saw Star Wars in the theater when I was 9, and it was absolutely life changing at that time. I feel like Yoda raised me as much as my parents, lol! That said, this movie is soul crushingly awful. It is an almost scene by scene remake of the first movie, with zero originality or imagination. Imagine the Bible was rewritten by Hallmark, and you will get the idea. It is only Star Wars in the most superficial sense (that is, it looks like it) without any of the feel for that universe that I guess only George Lucas understood. Heck, it makes the prequels look awesome!

·
Forza Felipe
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I saw Star Wars in the theater when I was 9, and it was absolutely life changing at that time. I feel like Yoda raised me as much as my parents, lol! That said, this movie is soul crushingly awful. It is an almost scene by scene remake of the first movie, with zero originality or imagination. Imagine the Bible was rewritten by Hallmark, and you will get the idea. It is only Star Wars in the most superficial sense (that is, it looks like it) without any of the feel for that universe that I guess only George Lucas understood. Heck, it makes the prequels look awesome!
I would have a to disagree....it took a lot from the original that's what I loved about it. A new hope doesn't hold up to time as well as empire or return of the Jedi. But the new hope was amazing at introducing all the characters and setting the scene for trilogy. You knew by then end of new hope where people fit in and who was who. In the 5th episode empire strikes back is when the universe really jumped and background information began to be reveled and character development went into full effect. I feel the force awakening took the same path and is setting the scene for an amazing trilogy. Like posted earlier they were very big mistakes in the movie but I can overlook them.

·
Founder/Admin
26,244 Posts
disagree too. I rewatched all 6 one a day last week before force awakens to be fresh on them. force awakens lines up with the originals very well and the prequels were as bad or worse than when I first saw them. they shared almost nothing tonally with the originals where this one does. especially phantom menace which was a gaudy CGI bloated silly children's movie. the force awakens was basically a retelling of a new hope which made it light on story like a new hope( the one thing the prequels had) but I can see why it was as it was a re introduction of the series to a new generation and put the past to bed while keeping all the exact themes intact for the future.

you cant compare it to the originals beyond that as its not fair. star wars when it came out was the first of its kind and there is nostalgia there and had as much to do with that generation and culture as it did the movie itself.

Go back and watch a new hope after this and tell me its not some nostalgia that is keeping it being held in high regard. so with that said the force awakens did very well as it checked all the boxes, it was obviously the best looking film of all as everything was clean simple and blended in the look of the the first movies not the garbage look of the prequels. I give lucas the credit for imagining the original story but something changed where his vision and the fans stopped lining up as most of his tweaks hurt the originals and the prequels would have been much better same stories in someone elses hands. so it was time to pass the torch for sure.

all the new characters were instantly very likeable which was big worry since they will be carrying the weight from here on out and some will be very important to the mythology. the older characters were the same and all the family themes that were the core to the arc are still there. it in some ways make the prequels a little better as for example the portrayal of Anakin isnt "as" bad now since it matches up with the angst and feel of Ben almost exactly and makes that connection make sense.

im not saying its a was perfect as it was a bit paint by numbers to A New Hope and everything was a bit too convenient. Also the main plot twists or climaxes we all now know about were thus very telegraphed. but those are small nit picks. im big on mythology the pacing allowed just enough to make the movie work. its was a bit light on meaty story details fans were waiting on all these years with most of it mentioned happening off screen. that is the one thing I will give the prequels as they did go into the lore and mythology deeper and one key scene in revenge of the sith helps decode what is going on with the dark side and snoke ect.

·
Registered
428 Posts
disagree too. I rewatched all 6 one a day last week before force awakens to be fresh on them. force awakens lines up with the originals very well and the prequels were as bad or worse than when I first saw them. they shared almost nothing tonally with the originals where this one does. especially phantom menace which was a gaudy CGI bloated silly children's movie. the force awakens was basically a retelling of a new hope which made it light on story like a new hope( the one thing the prequels had) but I can see why it was as it was a re introduction of the series to a new generation and put the past to bed while keeping all the exact themes intact for the future.

you cant compare it to the originals beyond that as its not fair. star wars when it came out was the first of its kind and there is nostalgia there and had as much to do with that generation and culture as it did the movie itself. go back and watch a new hope after this and tell me its not some nostalgia that is keeping it being held in high regard. so with that said the force awakens did very well as it checked all the boxes, it was obviously the best looking film of all as everything was clean simple and matched the first movies, not the garbage look of the prequels. I give lucas the credit for imagining the original story but something changed where his vision and the fans stopped lining up as most of his tweaks hurt the originals and the prequels would have been much better same stories in someone elses hands. so it was time to pass the torch for sure.

all the new characters were instantly very likeable which was big worry since they will be carrying the weight from here on out and some will be very important to the mythology. the older characters were the same and all the family themes that were the core to the arc are still there. it in some ways make the prequels a little better as for example the portrayal of Anakin isnt "as" bad now since it matches up with the angst and feel of Ben almost exactly and makes that connection make sense.

im not saying its a was perfect as it was a bit paint by numbers to A New Hope and the main plot twists or climaxes we all now know about were thus very telegraphed. again im big on mythology and it was so fast paced it had just the bare bones enough to make the movie work. its was a bit light on meaty story details fans were waiting on all these years with most of what it mentioned happening off screen. that is the one thing I will give the prequels as they did go into the lore and mythology deeper and one key scene in revenge of the sith helps decode what is going on with the dark side and snoke ect.
Certainly some good points, but if you get to play in this sandbox, why recreate the original literally point for point? The reason (I believe), people feel they know or feel something about these characters is because they are the exact same characters from the previous movies....

Let's see..

A loner living on a desert planet yearning for something more with (eventually) nothing to lose finds a droid with the information the bad guys want and is drawn into the rebellion...but wait, now it's a GIRL!
A smart ass self involved rogue with selfish intentions slowly learns to care for other people...but wait, now he's black!
A tiny funny colored 1000 year old alien with the wisdom of the ages...but instead of Darth Vader we get his effeminate,weak, emo offspring. Tell me again why he is angry?
The original characters were exactly the same...but now they're OLD...

How about the story..

Opening scene: We see the stormtroopers attacking the rebellion, allowing their black clothed leader to reveal that they are searching for information that the rebels have...which has now been placed into a droid and is released onto a desert planet to find it's way...

Cantina scene where a main character finds two pilots to fly him offworld...

Another Deathstar? Really?

It goes on and on, but I can't sit here forever to point out the similarities.

Honestly, it pains me to keep going lol! I am not comparing it to the originals...MC is spot on about that. But this movie could have been anything... except a nearly scene by scene remake (are remakes ever as good as the originals?). The original was wildly creative and inventive when it came out. If this was the first Star Wars movie, it would probably be the last. There was nothing to distinguish it from any other current Hollywood blockbuster except thin, superficial ties to the original. I guess Harrison Ford wearing the old clothes and spouting the same old lines is enough for most people...I wish I felt the same way. I felt very sad after this. And now that we are going to get yearly installments...well, it doesn't look good. It's not nostalgia...is Gone With the Wind unwatchable because it is old? Are the Beatles less relevant musically because they are older? MC, is "checking all the boxes" enough? Wouldn't some originality have been nice?

Holy cow, I can't believe I am being drawn into an internet argument about Star Wars...gotta call my mom and see if the room in her basement is still available...

·
Registered
490 Posts
I instantly recognized the parallel from A New Hope however this one did a great job on bridging the gap 34 years both trilogies. Ren was a whiny bitch because he was still conflicted until his actions throw him way into the Power of the Darkside. Remember Anakin was a whiny bitch in Ep. 3 as he was too conflicted. I think Ren will be more Lord Vadar like in Ep. VIII

Sent from my SM-N910K using GT-R Life mobile app

1 - 20 of 68 Posts