Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
This is my second steering lock unit that failed on me, been looking to get a new one but i thought i might check the unit out and see if i can rebuild it. Nissan said there is a problem on the lubricant so lets find out.

Took my trusty dremel and cut the housing lock

whats inside is the circuit board and the gears also what looks like lubricant that is almost gone.

After i took everything apart i notice that the piston is kinda getting stuck in the barrel the retrack of the piston is not as smooth anyway since i have some sandpaper i sanded the piston with a 1000grit the same with barrel and the result is perfect the release and retrack of the barrel is very smooth now. After all that i cleaned all the parts with a decreaser and a carburator cleaner. i also cleaned the circuit board with a electronic cleaner spray

once all parts are squeaky clean i put everything back together and spread some good amount of grease on its gears and piston
i also made a plastic cover to keep that grease on the gears and piston and to avoid spreading

here is the cover place on top of the gears
and here is the board in placed.
on the housing cover i made two holes this will let me screw the cover and close the unit, the holes are directly aligned to the original screw/tread that holds the circuit board
unit close

after some test the steering lock unit sound more solid and the piston release more freely. I do not know if this is a long term solution or it will never fail again i will test it for now and give you guys the result.

·
23GTR.se
740 Posts
There´s another way of fixing this problem as well. You make a short on the circuit board so that the cars ECU thinks that the steering lock is released. Then you can ditch everything except the circuit board. No chance of being stuck somewhere with a faulty steering lock unit.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There´s another way of fixing this problem as well. You make a short on the circuit board so that the cars ECU thinks that the steering lock is released. Then you can ditch everything except the circuit board. No chance of being stuck somewhere with a faulty steering lock unit.
That's what i actually want do but don't know where to start. Can you tell me where to short out the board?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Im bumping this old thread to see if anyone has any ideas how to do the above? I have the steering lock failure but it retracted enough to unlock the steering wheel, just not enough to hit the "buttons" to say it fully disengaged. So there has to be a way to jump on of the wires to trick the unit its fully disengaged..

Aloha,
Will

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Im bumping this old thread to see if anyone has any ideas how to do the above? I have the steering lock failure but it retracted enough to unlock the steering wheel, just not enough to hit the "buttons" to say it fully disengaged. So there has to be a way to jump on of the wires to trick the unit its fully disengaged..

Aloha,
Will
just cut it open and rig it so that its fully depressed. eventually the lock light will come back as the car notices that is not locking when the can turns off. but itll never lock on you again. I ran like this for about 2 months before nissan started the recall. interestingly enough they wanted my cut up and dremeled steering lock. was gonna give it to someone on the forums if they needed it but oh wells..

·
Registered
730 Posts
But those "button" that need to be depressed, once they are they send a signal saying it is depressed. I just need to find out what wires send the signal and which wires to jump. Since my actual steering wheel is not locked, I don't need to take the Steering lock mechanism out. I hope I explained it good. lol. Thanks bro for the info though.

Aloha,
Will

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.