Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
09 gtr, when I bought it and had the stock wheels it drove fine, no shaking no vibration.

The shaking got progressively worst and just got even worst after I installed hub centric rings for the first time, its so bad that it scares me to drive it high speeds.

The shaking starts at around 25mph and it gets worst as I speed up, steering feels strong on corners with very little vibration and very little vibration when braking if any.

so far what I've done:

installed lowering springs and had to replace my front struts x1 a different time.

2 different sets of aftermarket wheels, second set with new tires.

4 wheel balance x2 and alingnment x1

I just bought a set of 66.1 - 75mm hub centric rings and the shaking got even worst. I checked the wheel bearings today when I installed the rings and no play.

I sold my stock wheels but I will try on my buddy's stockers but at this point I highly doubt is a wheel problem. I am also looking to see who has a road force balance machine locally (orlando FL)

Any other suggestions? help me fix this... I miss driving my GTR :(

Video.. excuse the loud music.

View My Video

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Delintes great tires for the money I've had them before and had no issues at all. But the shaking has being there before these tires.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Make sure the tire place you take it to can measure the roundness of the wheel and tire. Good luck!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do thanks.

Anyone else? Any other suggestions because I have a bad feeling it might not be the wheels/tires..

·
GTRLIFE BOTM August 2015
1,042 Posts
It sounds like you have checked a lot of things. Just out of curiosity, have you checked the driveshaft bolts? I had mine come loose once and it was kind of hard to explain but had similar vibrating issues to a wheel. Just an idea in case you are out of things to check.

·
2009 R35 (GOD7ILLA)
393 Posts
That kind of shaking can also occur if a caliper is starting to seize on one side - although it's unlikely on this car, it could happen.

Things to check.

After the car has been driven for a bit do both front wheels rotate freely when jacked up and in neutral ? .

Even without braking the heat build-up from the rotor/pad rotating friction expands the rotor/pad and if pistons are seized the pads are stuck in place and this eventually causes grabbing on the rotor which manifests as a really bad vibration.

Does the car pull noticeably to one side when the vibration is occurring?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Front wheel bearings!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That kind of shaking can also occur if a caliper is starting to seize on one side - although it's unlikely on this car, it could happen.

Things to check.

After the car has been driven for a bit do both front wheels rotate freely when jacked up and in neutral ? .

Even without braking the heat build-up from the rotor/pad rotating friction expands the rotor/pad and if pistons are seized the pads are stuck in place and this eventually causes grabbing on the rotor which manifests as a really bad vibration.

Does the car pull noticeably to one side when the vibration is occurring?
This actually makes sense. Yes the car pulls to one side but not under braking (I will confirm that later on today) even after doing an alignment.. My brakes also make noise but only when I'm about to come to complete stop (squeequing noise) I will also look into this thanks!

·
2009 R35 (GOD7ILLA)
393 Posts
This actually makes sense. Yes the car pulls to one side but not under braking (I will confirm that later on today) even after doing an alignment.. My brakes also make noise but only when I'm about to come to complete stop (squeequing noise) I will also look into this thanks!
I'm assuming when you say it pulls that it's not just the normal little bit of drift to the side because of the slant in the road.

If you're pulling to one side without braking then something is dragging the wheel/rotor/hub on the side you are pulling to. Applying the brakes reducing the pull to one side makes sense because it evens out the drag on both front wheels. I speak from experience on this... it's happened to me more than once on other cars.

It could be seized caliper, bad wheel bearing, problem in front diff.

If you cannot see a difference between left and right wheel rotation when jacking the car up after you've driven for a bit to heat up the brakes, then it would seem the problem only occurs when the front end is loaded with the car's weight. Obviously harder to diagnose in a home environment - could point to a wheel bearing or some strange type of front diff binding.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm assuming when you say it pulls that it's not just the normal little bit of drift to the side because of the slant in the road.

If you're pulling to one side without braking then something is dragging the wheel/rotor/hub on the side you are pulling to. Applying the brakes reducing the pull to one side makes sense because it evens out the drag on both front wheels. I speak from experience on this... it's happened to me more than once on other cars.

It could be seized caliper, bad wheel bearing, problem in front diff.

If you cannot see a difference between left and right wheel rotation when jacking the car up after you've driven for a bit to heat up the brakes, then it would seem the problem only occurs when the front end is loaded with the car's weight. Obviously harder to diagnose in a home environment - could point to a wheel bearing or some strange type of front diff binding.
I'll check again tonight but it doesn't pull that hard, it might b the road conditions too.. I think if a caliper was seized it would pull that much harder to that side.. But I'll still check. Thanks again

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have this problem ever so slightly. I have changed rims, tires, bought everything brand new. It's very minimal but I know what you are experiencing.

I recall reading once on a thread that the inner tie rods are going bad.. Can anyone confirm this?

I'll check again tonight but it doesn't pull that hard, it might b the road conditions too.. I think if a caliper was seized it would pull that much harder to that side.. But I'll still check. Thanks again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts