Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone run aftermarket turbos with the stock intercooler? I know its not as efficient as an aftermarket setup, I'm just looking for feedback from anyone who has done it.

I don't expect or intend to exceed 650awhp. (Alpha 9's)

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
U will be fine I ran 750 whp on my boost logic kit for over a year ... Was almost debating on my bigger setup but I'm told at bight boost the pressure loss across the core is where the problem is. U don't seem like u will be pushing it too crazy

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll let you know how it turns out. For me it was Alpha 9 vs Alpha 9+. To go to the 9+ requires the AMS intercooler and induction/intercooler piping. As much as I`d love to run the 9+, thats a BIG jump in cost. I may end up going down that road eventually, but I`ll run this set up for a year and see how it performs. I'm on stock internals and transmission for now as well, so the 9 should suffice. The only reason I'd pursue the 9+ was to try to squeeze some additional hp at our elevation. Damn thin air...

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Mabe the stock ic can handle it because no vendor has provide information otherwise. I was going to purchase a before/after IC temperature sensors, but my issue is I don't know if I can install it nicely. Nobody has provided any data. I have read big IC here (highly recommended) and it still knocks on the road course (maybe tune too aggressive). Maybe there is a reason nobody is providing data. With amount of speed density, all one need to look is the intake temp and information like outside temperature and boost level. This will get you how the pressure intake temp. compare to outside temp.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It would be interesting to log pressure in vs pressure out on a stock IC as well as temp in and temp out. Once those baselines are established it would be nice to see vendors offering up their wares for similar testing on a baseline setup.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I'm told once u start pushing towards 30 psi or more your in pressure can start requiring much more boost then what u get out.. But for say 25psi or less I wouldn't change ur inter cooler unless u will be tracking ur car.. And I don't mean drag racing

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
I was debating the same this week if I should upgrade my intercoolers. I was about to purchase the Greddy twin coolers but I was told the stock ones are just fine. I do have the Mines titanium intercooler pipes.

·
Fastest GTR in the world
535 Posts
Would an intercooler be justified to keep everything running "safer"?

Id rather spend more money being semi-fast for 100k miles than really fast for 10k miles.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
My Intake Air Temps never really got dangerously high ever on my stock intercoolers at 23psi on a pair of gt30's ... the larger turbos blow a much cooler charge then the stockers so thats your biggest safety net.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
It is surprising nobody put cfm ratings on intercoolers. I am willing to say large amount of the aftermarket IC can't support the ratings of aftermarket turbos. Sure it is good for a few pulls (just like stock IC is not rated for 1000 CFM but people still run it without problems), but sustain full throttle such as road course. A good pair of machine turbos can flow about 1300 CFM with stock engine at 30 psi. That equates to approximately 4" x 1' x 2' intercooler (based on ETS Supra IC) which is huge. Any more HP, you got to go 5" or 6" unless the core is alot more dense and efficient.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I don't even remember what the temps were on my drag pulls and 2nd threw 5th pulls but I remember I was told it wasnt near being a problem... Remember this was at like 20-23 psi on my car.. If I was running 30+ I'm sure the stickers will begin to be an issue

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.