Nissan GT-R Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10,118 Posts
^ does that still work ? Used to in NY years back until they issued their own computer stations and make you plug into car, verify VIN and then run the test.

No way around it, well I mean you can have a fake obdii but my buddy that has a shop says he sees it and assumes it’s NY undercover lmao

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The only issue with "paying" someone is that if one of those cars ever gets smog reffed, CA is now going back to all the cars that person passed and smog reffing them as well, so just getting it passed that way may not work out in the long run.

This was something I heard last year when I was going through my smog challenges. So if you can, find someone who can get it to pass legally and then change things back.

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Reiterating what Guido stated...

Pass legally.

A little birdie said DMV investigators were making house calls in CA recently. An old friend got a knock on the door at his home regarding a recent smog inspection. Evos and GTR are on a list that may receive more additional scrutiny due to their popularity amongst car enthusiasts.

Lmao... Apparently there aren't any higher priority issues in CA.

·
Registered
68 Posts
2009 and older vehicles are exempt from P-DTCs. Here's the link to CA BAR site pertaining to P-DTCs: https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Industry_Resources/Permanent_Diagnostic_Trouble_Codes.aspx

7. Which model-year vehicles will include PDTCs as part of the Smog Check inspection?
The new criteria will apply to model-year 2010 and newer vehicles that support PDTCs.
Thank god. So all I need to do is make sure to clear any codes and have o2 sensors present and make sure their in the ready state so it seems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For those of you who just had smog done, did they seem to care about the midpipe? I just uninstalled my cobb and threw on my stock parts except for exhaust and was wondering if I should be ok. I still have stock DPs

·
Registered
102 Posts
For those of you who just had smog done, did they seem to care about the midpipe? I just uninstalled my cobb and threw on my stock parts except for exhaust and was wondering if I should be ok. I still have stock DPs
As far as the visual inspection - it'll vary by station. They may look for the obvious like aftermarket intake, check for cats, etc - while some stations are pretty lax about visual.

All stations will care about OBD2 test - so whatever aftermarket parts are left installed (midpipe, exhaust, DP, etc) - just make sure - no CEL/MILs, I/M monitors ready and no P-DTCs (for 2010 and newer GTRs).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just recently tried getting my '09 smogged in San Diego. I have the Cobb Big SF intake + Cobb catted Y-pipe + stage 2 OTS map, and the smog tech said he couldn't do it because the car showed some sensors being disabled. Then he looked under the car and complained that he didn't see any cats in the mid-pipe. I tried to assure him it was catted, but he insisted that he still couldn't do anything as long as the car is saying sensors are disabled.

Does anyone know if the Cobb Stage 1 + Big SF intake OTS map also disables sensors? Ideally I'd prefer to switch out the tune to allow the car to pass, but otherwise I think switching out the mid-pipe will be easier than switching out the intake.

Edit: it occurred to me that 2 years ago I only had the Big SF intake + stage 1 map and I passed smog, so I can only assume no sensors were disabled. I'll just switch to that map and try another smog place, but can someone confirm that Stage 2 does disable some sensors? That came as a surprise to me.

·
Registered
439 Posts
You'll only pass with the stock map. You can keep the mid pipe and the exhaust plus fuel pump, but injectors have to be stock and air box too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I passed with asnu 1050 cc injectors, a cobb 2.75 air intake with a sticker and cobb midpipe .I unplugged the injectors and put the stock map on but this was March last year.

Sent from my SM-G986U using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
94 Posts
MA is now checking ECU codes and any aftermarket parts - even if its passing emissions, the car will fail inspection if you replaced the OEM air filter with one from your local parts store...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Found the article i saw last month - and similar is being done in at least MA, likely others to come. EPA has an easier time going after enthusiast communities who spend paltry millions than municipal transportation, trucking, or aviation who spend more on lobbyists than we all do on our cars put together (and when its just state/local gov, they dont care - sue them, if you dare to waste your time). Since global warming is going to destroy us all, the clear and obvious solution is to go after tuners and racers since we clearly contribute the majority of the greenhouse gasses with our... e85? There are a lot of rather wealthy people racing in the higher end of the racing community - wonder if any of them have lobbyists the rest of us could borrow :).

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.