Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my car 6 months now. My fear of letting strangers drive my car forbids ever valeting it, etc. Only my mechanic and service guy. I also was afraid of letting anyone wash/detail/wax it because Something would surely go wrong. Only I have washed it. Paint is mint. The service manager at the local Nissan dealer actually told me not to have them do it. So my paranoia continued. Finally I decide enough, i am being irrational. I want a professional to detail it, but who to trust my car with for a day? So I go up to the Ferrari dealer. Surely I can trust them right? They do cars that are 15 times more expensive than mine. I agree to spend 300 for a detail. $150 of that is insurance I figured. I pick up the car late it is raining. Next day I notice they left a lot of wax on it but I was too busy to wash it or bring it back. Monday I wash it and low and behold a 4 foot scrape at the bottom of the passenger running board. From just behind the sideview all the way to the rear wheel and also continuing on underside of number behind rear wheel. Rim and tire look fine. A thousand bucks to have the running board/skirt?replaced. The car obviously had some type of contact with a curb at speed. Bottom of it is ground like it had to have gone over a curb or something. There is no way I could have missed that washing it just a week earlier and no one else drove the car but me. Until I brought it to them that is. I show it to my mechanic this morning who instantly says he never saw that damage before and could not have missed it. Long story short I confront the service guy and they absolutely deny there is any possibility it was their people but admit it was driven to the other side of the block and back from the detailer. They refuse to believe it was them and I honesty am sure it has to be them. Either way someone is lying, I lose and feel defeated. I have no proof it wasn't there. Honest mistake or someone losing control while they were launching it? I will never know.
So I ask if you guys have any strategies to insure people don't beat on your cars when you leave it with them. Checking milage won't always work. The car doesn't have a valet switch that cuts power, All I can think of is if there is a camera I can leave in the car that films automatically when ignition turns on or is in motion. Does anyone make something like that so I know WTF people are doing when they are test-driving or moving my vehicle? This whole experience has really pissed me off and just confirms I can't really trust anyone not to beat on it once I am out of sight. Leaving a handheld gps in the trunk would give me max speed but won't tell me if the guy is revving the shit out of it to try and get flames to come out the exhaust. I think I'll leave a handheld in it next time for sure.
Thoughts/ideas?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have this dash camera in my car that can film as well as getting obd data such as rpm, temperature, etc and actually can keep filming even though the engine is off drawing power from the obd.
http://www.amazon.com/ChiTronic-Recording-Novatek-Display-Advanced/dp/B00RTFTFKK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1446702177&sr=8-3&keywords=Car+camera+obd

If they rev the engine like hell while the car in neutral you can find the information from the rpm that gets overlay to the video.

But that will still be useless if the person unplug the cable while abusing your car :), tough issue to handle.

·
Pumps one and two, hit 'em!
321 Posts
I wait for service and work from the dealer lobby for all my cars. The mechanics I explicitly trust for non warranty work are encouraged to "clean the tires." Never had an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
310 Posts
Get your tuner to write you a valet map with zero boost
This ^. I have a "valet" program in my Z32, so all I do it hit a button and the car won't go over 3500rpms and/or 35 mph. I also have a "no start" program, where the car appears to be entirely dead.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I take pictures of entire car with a Cell phone before I leave it with anyone... Also having good records is nice.

Dash cam / go pro idea is great as well... you can turn a go pro on "take still pictures" every so often.... and also just telling them it is on and recording is a great deturent. Also say if anyone turns it off.... you are not paying for any services... you can even write it on the bottom of your contract / signed papers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have this dash camera in my car that can film as well as getting obd data such as rpm, temperature, etc and actually can keep filming even though the engine is off drawing power from the obd.
http://www.amazon.com/ChiTronic-Recording-Novatek-Display-Advanced/dp/B00RTFTFKK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1446702177&sr=8-3&keywords=Car+camera+obd

If they rev the engine like hell while the car in neutral you can find the information from the rpm that gets overlay to the video.

But that will still be useless if the person unplug the cable while abusing your car :), tough issue to handle.
I want to buy that dash cam, but it's taking forever through Amazon. Says the delivery will be after December 3 to December 21st. Wtf? Did you buy yours there?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
In this day and age- $300 for a full detail is nuts on that car. I charged that back in 99'- you got a deal. Anyone who does this for a living knows how long it takes to do it right.

The damage sounds like contact with a lift. A singular scratch would likely be an arm from the lift. A curb would be trail rash across the entire part.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@sasha4 The detail job was weak. I was willing to overlook that but the scratch isn't singular it is clearly from driving over a curb or sidewalk with the whole weight of the car on it. I can't just repaint it I need to replace it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys are making too much of a deal over this. It's just a car, deal with it.
So I just shrug my shoulders and shell out another thousand bucks? I agree it is just a car but it has a reputation and people want to see what it'll do. You don't mind people beating on your 2015?

·
Registered
28 Posts
yeah im kinda iffy about it as well. Luckily i can hear the car start up so i usually just pop out the lobby to see whats going on during service. No need to rev it if you are just pulling it around.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I want to buy that dash cam, but it's taking forever through Amazon. Says the delivery will be after December 3 to December 21st. Wtf? Did you buy yours there?
Sorry, not to hijack OP thread, just replying to a question.

I ended up buying one from EBay thinking it would be faster but still ended up having to wait about three weeks. There are some reviews about it on YouTube.

·
Registered
416 Posts
So I just shrug my shoulders and shell out another thousand bucks? I agree it is just a car but it has a reputation and people want to see what it'll do. You don't mind people beating on your 2015?
To me, there's really nothing really you can do about these type of things. Of course I wouldn't want someone to be reving the crap out of my car, but am I going to spend extra money just to try and prevent this from happening? The answer is no.

·
Registered
102 Posts
This ^. I have a "valet" program in my Z32, so all I do it hit a button and the car won't go over 3500rpms and/or 35 mph. I also have a "no start" program, where the car appears to be entirely dead.
+2 for valet mode. Linney did mine
and I always use it when leaving the car with anyone I don't trust. Just this past oil change/pos with the dealer, my service adviser told me [after the fact] that the tech wanted to test my alignment by driving around the dealership, but they didn't even do an alignment
....the service receipt specifically said pos without alignment....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for your replies folks. Ill probably get a camera installed. They aren't expensive. I learned my lesson. I don't have a tuner so I wouldn't know what to do about that. Thanks again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Dashcam my friend. I had mine installed basically for the explicit purpose of having to take my 2015 in for its 1000mi POS. The Blackvue I bought came with a switch that will allow it to either come on when there is a jolt to an accelerometer on the system or the motion sensor is tripped when the car is off, or run all the time when the car is on. I basically captured and watched the entire service. Though they talked a lot of shit about me (from having to have the flappy paddles because I "can't shift a REAL car fast enough" to the fact that "it's nice, but it's not a Nismo...it's not a Nismo"), but there was no joyride.

I never told the service advisor about the camera, but the techs discovered it about halfway through, and then spent about 20 min trying to figure out what it was. That part was actually pretty funny. Once they discovered it and realized what it was, they referenced this other situation here in my town where someone had joy ridden a guy's F-150 that he'd had cameras in, and that they'd gotten caught.

So, in hindsight, the only thing I would do differently is that I would have told the service tech about the camera system beforehand. Otherwise, though, I felt like the system accomplished its mission, and I felt very happy that I had it.

Just a side note: the system I installed (there is a VERY good writeup of it in the DIY section, btw) only has one forward-facing and one rearward-facing camera (and the rear one's quality is somewhat questionable), but you can see and hear plenty enough to tell pretty well what is going on.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Cobb or Ecutek valet mode. My car moves very slowly in that mode.

Sent from my SM-G928P using GT-R Life mobile app

1 - 20 of 49 Posts