Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been covered before but just wanted to ask regarding my situation that happened today.

Today shortly after returning home from my 36 month POS my wife noticed when going inside the garage a strong gasoline smell. I went to check and sure enough it was a very strong raw fuel smell like someone spilled gasoline.

Being the nut I am I couldn’t rest until I investigated the issue completely. I checked underneath the car and no signs of leaks. I was able to localize the smell around the rear passenger side wheel well. I then jacked the car up and removed both the rear diffuser and the underpanel that covers the transmission and still no sign of leaks.

I drove it again and returned home only to continue to smell fuel. The smell got so bad it filled the entire garage.

I later decided to get some gas to see if there would be an issue with overflow and there wasn’t. I then returned home and now the smell is completely gone after filling up.

Does this make any sense to anyone? Was this just a fluke or should I be worried? It’s never done this before. Completely stock 2015 (other than midpipe and catback) with 40k miles.

I know the smell had to be coming from around the fuel tank since the smell was flowing out of that rear wheel well. Why were gas fumes escaping so much and does this present a problem or is this normal? Could I have a clogged breather valve? There has been a crap ton of green pollen dust here in NC lately. Maybe that has something to do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,939 Posts
My guess is Evap canister.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ll check it out thanks.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went and filled up yesterday evening to make sure there wasn’t an issue with overflow and there wasn’t. When I returned home after driving for a while the fuel smell was completely gone. So it seems whatever was going on sorted itself out.

I also checked under the car again around the evap canister area and couldn’t confirm if there was an issue with it as there were no obvious signs of hose damage.

I will continue to monitor this and if/when it happens again I will recheck the canister area. I should be able to confirm it while it’s happening.

709 Posts
When I first purchased my car, I would smell the strong aroma of gas in my garage after driving. And like you, I was led to the passenger side rear. When I took the car up for warranty work on another issue, I mentioned it to the tech. He found that the gas cap was faulty which I found strange because my other vehicles let me know if the seal's not tight, via check engine light. Long story short, he replaced and I no longer have an issue. Your cap my be retiring on ya. But I guess that wouldn't explain your situation if the scent is strongest near the wheel well.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I drove it again today and still didn’t come back. I’m guessing since it all started after my 36 month POS service maybe the car was a little out of whack from the diagnostic checks. It looks like it just took time for the car to correct itself. My best guess but I could be off on that assumption.

·
Super Moderator
8,939 Posts
Take it out for a spirited drive and see if it happens.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did twice.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was able to figure out how to replicate the gas smell. It turns out I have to drive it when the outside temperature gets around 80 degrees or above and for at least 45 minutes to an hour to get everything really warmed up throughout the car. I did this yesterday evening and this morning but the outside temp wasn’t warm enough to trigger the issue.

It finally reached that point this afternoon and sure enough the gas smell came back after returning home and leaving the car in the garage. I did read in the manual that the gas smell can happen and is normal as it’s just letting the excess fuel vapor out when the fuel gets hot. After a while the smell dies off and it doesn’t return.

I’m debating even getting this checked out since it does mention in the owners manual. I’m not getting a check engine light and no fuel smell is coming from the gas cap area, just the right rear wheel well as explained previously. It does get much hotter here in NC than in San Diego. I will just leave the garage door cracked to air it out when it happens again since my garage has no outside air vents. My garage in CA did and maybe that’s why I never noticed it before. Either way, thanks for all of the input from everyone. If something else comes from this I will post again.

·
I Haul Ass
1,871 Posts
Do you see fuel stains on the passenger rear wheel well lining material?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Did you get a letter from Nissan about the gas evap warranty extension. I got one last year, I think they extended the warranty to 10yrs or 150k miles. So Nissan know about it.
You might want to take it in..

I was able to figure out how to replicate the gas smell. It turns out I have to drive it when the outside temperature gets around 80 degrees or above and for at least 45 minutes to an hour to get everything really warmed up throughout the car. I did this yesterday evening and this morning but the outside temp wasnt warm enough to trigger the issue.It finally reached that point this afternoon and sure enough the gas smell came back after returning home and leaving the car in the garage. I did read in the manual that the gas smell can happen and is normal as its just letting the excess fuel vapor out when the fuel gets hot. After a while the smell dies off and it doesnt return.Im debating even getting this checked out since it does mention in the owners manual. Im not getting a check engine light and no fuel smell is coming from the gas cap area, just the right rear wheel well as explained previously. It does get much hotter here in NC than in San Diego. I will just leave the garage door cracked to air it out when it happens again since my garage has no outside air vents. My garage in CA did and maybe thats why I never noticed it before. Either way, thanks for all of the input from everyone. If something else comes from this I will post again.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you get a letter from Nissan about the gas evap warranty extension. I got one last year, I think they extended the warranty to 10yrs or 150k miles. So Nissan know about it.
You might want to take it in..
I honestly can't remember if I did or not. I tried looking in areas I would have put it and couldn't find it. If it came around early to mid summer last year it may have been lost during my move to NC.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you see fuel stains on the passenger rear wheel well lining material?
I don't know if this qualifies. I did find a small white colored stain around where the wheel well lining meets the passenger side rear diffuser. It is around the area the canister sits. What do you guys think? Is it worth checking out? Does this qualify as a fuel leak stain?

e149680f3d0a7c2c16f887fce7567c64.jpg
be2dec3eac6a76ce6cbd2027b8a52a20.jpg
5fe8a205792c0be9a35a4bc58679a0eb.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,939 Posts
Yup it looks like mine and I think it's due to an Evap issue.

Any ine have a copy of the letter from Nissan about this?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I found a pic of the letter on a previous forum. It only covers the diagnostic and labor for clearing and/or replacement of the clogged EVAP vapor vent tube. Here is a pic of the letter:

2e11d2f0211098d9d8cc8ca151d45536.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I was able to figure out how to replicate the gas smell. It turns out I have to drive it when the outside temperature gets around 80 degrees or above and for at least 45 minutes to an hour to get everything really warmed up throughout the car. I did this yesterday evening and this morning but the outside temp wasn't warm enough to trigger the issue. It finally reached that point this afternoon and sure enough the gas smell came back after returning home and leaving the car in the garage. I did read in the manual that the gas smell can happen and is normal as it's just letting the excess fuel vapor out when the fuel gets hot. After a while the smell dies off and it doesn't return. I'm debating even getting this checked out since it does mention in the owners manual. I'm not getting a check engine light and no fuel smell is coming from the gas cap area, just the right rear wheel well as explained previously. It does get much hotter here in NC than in San Diego. I will just leave the garage door cracked to air it out when it happens again since my garage has no outside air vents. My garage in CA did and maybe that's why I never noticed it before. Either way, thanks for all of the input from everyone. If something else comes from this I will post again. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like we may have a common denominator.

The only time I experienced the heavy smell was when I was stock, driving through Riverside county on a hot day after a very long drive from San Diego. The EVAP canister on the car had been replaced very early on by the previous owner yet it still occurred. Mine had the same stain in the rear passenger wheel well. Since yours is recent, perhaps it's possible to smell the area and see if it is indeed gasoline.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I decided to get it checked out tomorrow and will report back with the outcome.

·
Nismo Owners Car Club
2,243 Posts
I've experienced this many times. According to DTLA Nissan, the recall is for the CBA's, NOT the DBAs. matter of fact, the fuel smell caused me to bring it to my regular mechanic and he searched high and low for fuel leaks and could not find any.

again, according to DTLA Nissan, there are NO recalls for 15&16

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I called Nissan North America and the EVAP vent tube blockage extended warranty applies to all Nissanâs from 2003-2017. They asked for my VIN and they confirmed it. Of course it only applies if a blockage in the vapor vent tube is found during diagnosis.

Itâs not a recall but simply extended warranty coverage for this issue IF it occurs.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts