Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my '12 for four days now. After the first fill up yesterday I've had a constant, strong smell of fuel - made stronger when the AC is on. I've had a different, moderate smell from the engine since I picked it up but figured that was just part of the break-in. The fuel smell is harder to deal with.

When I filled it up I was careful not to fill past the the auto cut-off by the pump as I was instructed by the dealer.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
977 Posts
This was common on the older GTR's. I had a 2009 GTR and only had it happen once when I was driving very hard. The smell went away after a few minutes. Does it go away after a few minutes?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
this is normal when you drive the car hard. I had it after a couple of laps on the nurburgring even though I didnt push it..if you have it from normal street driving I guess it is possible but give it some time and try to see if the smell still appears. If so, I would check with dealer

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, it's persistent. And I haven't been driving it hard at all. Only noticed it after my first refuel but I've put a good 20 miles on since then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can notice fuel smell from the rear right wheel after normal driving, someone mentioned that fuel breathing canister is on that side. My car is 2010

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I can notice fuel smell from the rear right wheel after normal driving, someone mentioned that fuel breathing canister is on that side. My car is 2010
thats correct, the manual explains this in a bit more detail so it's quite normal to have fuel smell sometimes, although having the smell everyday from normal driving is not.

·
I'm not eloquent I'm direct
92 Posts
Not normal. Take it back to the dealer asap and tell them to find the source. And get documentation of the issue.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: smelled gas all the way home from dinner tonight. Popped the hood when I got home and engine compartment reeked of gasoline. Going to call my dealer in the morning and see what they say.

·
Registered
188 Posts
not normal. my 2012 have no gas smell ever.

·
SF Bay Area Member
548 Posts
I have a 2012 and have NEVER had this issue, go to dealer ASAP! Keep us posted!

·
Vendor
4,614 Posts
You definitely have a leak somewhere in your engine compartment. Be careful if you are going to drive to the dealer......I'd at least carry an extinguisher with you.

·
92 Posts
You are at serious risk. I personally would hate to hear of a brand new GTR catching fire. Tow companies will often refuse to transport cars with fuel leaks. Just get the dang dealer to fix your issue and stop treating the issue so lightly. Don't drive your wife to dinner in that thing~! Best intentions here, not trying to be an ass.

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
Update: smelled gas all the way home from dinner tonight. Popped the hood when I got home and engine compartment reeked of gasoline. Going to call my dealer in the morning and see what they say.
If you smell raw fuel in the engine bay I would look at the fuel line quick connect fittings on the passenger side engine bay. Either way, I would strongly advise you NOT to drive the car if you smell strong odor of raw fuel coming from the engine bay. There is a different between strong RAW fuel smell, and just some light odors of fuel. If it's the former, have the dealer pick up the car.

·
GT-R CRAZY
399 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
After a fill up I always smell fuel from my 12. I have to leave the garage open to get the smell out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ok here's an update. First, fuel smell wasn't really as strong as I may have made it sound. I was just annoyed by having a problem with a five day old car. That said, there was a small leak in the fuel line where it couples to an elbow right behind the top-center of the manifold. We first thought it might be a bad O ring but replacing it didn't stop the leak so the dealer is ordering a whole new assembly. The mechanic said the assembly "looked like a used part" and felt loose, even though he had everything tightened down. When I left the shop in my top shelf Altima courtesy rental they still weren't sure exactly where the leak was coming from.

I'll post pics once I get the car back and I'll be sure to write down the exact names of the relevant parts for you guys. I'm still learning my way around the engine compartment...

And I was sure to toss a fire extinguisher on the passenger seat before I headed over to the dealer.

·
92 Posts
Ok here's an update. First, fuel smell wasn't really as strong as I may have made it sound. I was just annoyed by having a problem with a five day old car. That said, there was a small leak in the fuel line where it couples to an elbow right behind the top-center of the manifold. We first thought it might be a bad O ring but replacing it didn't stop the leak so the dealer is ordering a whole new assembly. The mechanic said the assembly "looked like a used part" and felt loose, even though he had everything tightened down. When I left the shop in my top shelf Altima courtesy rental they still weren't sure exactly where the leak was coming from.

I'll post pics once I get the car back and I'll be sure to write down the exact names of the relevant parts for you guys. I'm still learning my way around the engine compartment...

And I was sure to toss a fire extinguisher on the passenger seat before I headed over to the dealer.
Ahhhh. Awesome to hear that all is okay. Strange it looked like a used part. Lol at the top shelf Altima!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I knew this was going to happen:

So before I left the dealership yesterday the mechanic and I discussed that he had swapped out the stock O ring with a non-spec O ring that appeared to be exactly the same and it didn't stop the leak at all. So he and I agreed that it probably wasn't the O ring. So he told me he was going to have Nissan send him a new fuel line and coupler assembly since we weren't sure where else the leak could be.

What happens after I left?

He calls Nissan and they tell him it's probably the O ring. He tells them that he tried swapping a non-spec one that was the same size. They said no, it has to be the spec O ring. So what parts do they overnight so their brand new "VIP" GT-R customer can have his car back as quickly as possible? They send an O ring. No fuel pipe, no assembly.

Guess what... It's NOT THE FREAKIN' O RING!

Now they have to get Nissan to actually send the right freakin' parts out and they risk not getting them by Friday so I may not be able to get my car back until Monday.

I knew this was going to happen - I could just sense it. Before I left I even said, "make sure they send you out all of the parts so we're not stuck without the right replacement".

I think it may be time for me to shop around for another service department. These guys are really friendly, honest, and they put me at the front of the line. However, it seems to me that they should have insisted on having the entire assembly overnighted to them just in case it wasn't the O ring. At worst they could just send back what they didn't use. Maybe Nissan doesn't allow this (which shouldn't be the case for their flagship product). I don't know. But I"m not happy.

In the mean time the service manager is heading out to the lot to see if he can find a 370Z to pull the fuel line from. He's not sure if it would be an exact fit but he's guessing that it might. I give him points for being creative. And I'm not even putting "pissed off customer" pressure on him yet...

·
Registered
53 Posts
hey guys

sorry to hijack post but i got similar problem with my 2009 gtr. when i leave the car parked for lets say 1-2 weeks come back and turn it on their is a strong smell of gas until i drive it for like 10 mins then smell goes away completely. at first i thought it was just random thing but ive had the car sitting in garage for long periods of time and each time i turn it on now i get strong smell of gas until again i drive it and it just goes away.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts