Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm excited yet part skeptical on now being a GTR owner. I wanted something different/crazy (maybe mid life crisis a decade ahead of schedule) and had been eyeing the GTR for a year+. I originally wanted a 2012+ GTR stock however ended up w/ a 2009 GTR modded (tangent side story and reaffirms something different/crazy). I've had great experiences with Subaru over the last decade+ and hoping Nissan would be the same/better especially since the GTR is their supposed flagship product. It's definitely a fun car so far even as a DD (face sometimes hurts from too much smiling) however we'll see how it really delivers at my first track day with it at the end of next month.

Also, I test drove and had the PPI done during the day and no one noticed the known gauge cluster issue (on, off, flicker, combination of) until the night after the purchase. I did some research and found that it is a common issue. I checked with a local dealer and the extended warranty on the gauge cluster just ran out in February. The dealer contacted Nissan and Nissan offered to cover ~1/2 the replacement/repair costs. I thought about it more and decided to contact Nissan Consumer Affairs as I just don't think a gauge cluster should have any issues to start w/. Nissan Consumer Affairs responded after a few days and basically the same response ... $900+ out of pocket. I'm good w/ paying for issues I may have caused and/or wear/tear items (ie: tires, brakes, etc.) but this is a little ridiculous. :(

I guess I expected more (service) from Nissan especially on the GTR however it seems like once the factory warranty is gone then the customer is basically SOL. I thought Nissan would go above and beyond in quality and service to attract and retain the niche customer group for the GTR.

Is the GTR really an overall excellent car (performance, quality, community) or is it just a high-priced brand? I'm curious and time will tell ...

·
Registered
548 Posts
Might as well get the NISMO cluster for $800 more ^_^

Sent from Galaxy Note 3

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
If your going to have to pay out of pocket then pick up a used cluster on ebay from a newer dba. You will have the updated colors scheme for less. ($650 or so) It can be reprogrammed to match original cluster for a fee.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Too funny (NISMO cluster suggestion) ... I've even debated if I really want to fix it at all. The coolant/gas is unlit but the needles work fine so it's actually less distracting when driving since the speed/tach now stand out more. ;) Plus, I'd rather put the $900+ towards some catless dps + tune.

·
Registered
253 Posts
In regards to out of warranty issues you will see the same with MB, BMW and others. Once the warranty is up. You have to pay out of pocket. Though there are diffinitely exceptions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Understood ... however I thought Nissan would try to provide better customer service given that it's trying to tap a new niche market (high end) + it's a part that shouldn't even be having an issue w/ a known TSB on the market.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts