Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi Folks,

To cut a long story short my car was in having new front tyres today at a tyre dealer and the ramp failed and dropped one side of the car down, we quickly got a jack under the front and rear but in the process of getting my car back down the front slipped off the jack and went through the 2nd underflow tray and damaged one side of the engine sump.

There are no leaks and I need to know if anyone has some pictures of the sump off with the oil pickup so I can try and determine if there is a chance of damage there, oil pressure is OK but a new sump is over a week away and I leave for Germany next week for the Ring! I only have crappy iphone pics of the damage at the moment so have just attached one, but would appreciate any of the engine tuners (I have PMed Nickto) could chime in with their thoughts, the sump has been "dished" in on the left hand side (as you look rear to front) but the centre section looks untouched and that is where I think the oil pickup sits ... so with luck I will be OK to still run the car hard across Europe.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks for the info Nick, very much appreciated, I will look at that video again.

I am getting an estimate from my dealer tomorrow (the tyre company is to pay for the damage) and they have told me the book time to replace the sump is 12.5 hours, seems pretty high if it can be done in situ, but they tell me that is the standard time.

Edit: Just looked at video 7 at the 3m34s mark which has a great shot of what I was after, I have watched all of your vids and I think they will help a load of folk in the future. Based on that shot I don't think I have anything to worry about for my trip, thanks Nick

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
Picture doesn't look bad. I don't think its an issue. I think that piece could be removed, pounded correct, and put back on. Again, not ideal, but may give you a warm fuzzy.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Be careful. The 12.5h quote im sure is for the full magnésium lower pan. Not what you want.

You only want to change the metal pan cover... 2 hours tops.... I can do it in 1 and I'm no mechanic....
Good catch Nick, I will be seeing the dealer today as I need to "borrow" the intermediate under tray from one of their cars and will flag this up.

Having looked at WillAll's sump and your vid I could not see why it would not come down and back on again in around the time you list. If memory serves me correctly I think you have a WillAll sump fitted to your current engine which I presume you fitted without any hassle like dropping the engine etc.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picture doesn't look bad. I don't think its an issue. I think that piece could be removed, pounded correct, and put back on. Again, not ideal, but may give you a warm fuzzy.
LOL Sean!

I don't mind a bit of warm fuzzy once in a while but as the tyre dealer who caused the damage is paying for it then a new sump it will be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts