Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
After countless emails and phone calls, I am happy to report that some of our Swift Spring inventory has finally arrived. PM me if anyone needs a set. Stormcrow already has his name on a set. The Swift springs give a little more aggressive drop vs. the Eibach, while maintain very nice ride and comfort. http://www.forgedperformance.com/store/pro...=432&page=1 Free shipping for Nagtroc members.

·
Registered
665 Posts
i hope to have pics up as soon as i have them installed. i know we've all seen the GT-R on these, but it will be another good example.

sharif, let's plan on install next weekend if you have an opening on the calendar.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
i hope to have pics up as soon as i have them installed. i know we've all seen the GT-R on these, but it will be another good example.

sharif, let's plan on install next weekend if you have an opening on the calendar.
Wait, you have eibach pro springs now and you want to install Swift Sport springs?

Why?

Better for track or better for street use or better looking for even drop? Or better on weight- anybody have the weights for stock vs eibach vs swift linear springs?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Wait, you have eibach pro springs now and you want to install Swift Sport springs?

Why?

Better for track or better for street use or better looking for even drop? Or better on weight- anybody have the weights for stock vs eibach vs swift linear springs?
i'm trying to even out the drop... no other reason... i am utterly happy with the Eibachs (even though i do not track)

as far as weight goes, i can't imagine there is any significant difference between any of the three mentioned...

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
what is the difference in the swift and eibach springs?

·
Registered
665 Posts
the eibachs lower the rear .5" and the front .8" whereas the swifts lower a solid 1" both front and rear... also, the eibachs are progressive and the swifts are linear... some prefer linear as they seem to have more of a difference when changing between the settings in-cabin..(R, normal, comfort)

edit - though, the pic sharif posted looks like a progressive spring... hmmm... Sharif, are those progressive or linear? if progressive, do you know when Swift made the change and why? still a 1" drop all around?

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
the eibachs lower the rear .5" and the front .8" whereas the swifts lower a solid 1" both front and rear... also, the eibachs are progressive and the swifts are linear... some prefer linear as they seem to have more of a difference when changing between the settings in-cabin..(R, normal, comfort)

edit - though, the pic sharif posted looks like a progressive spring... hmmm... Sharif, are those progressive or linear? if progressive, do you know when Swift made the change and why? still a 1" drop all around?
The picture of the swift springs may not be for the R35 GTR which should be linear springs.

Swift makes many springs and some are progressive.

The stock springs are progressive and as a result may not be quite as comfortable for street use.

The Swift linear spring has less coils than a progressive spring so it saves weight and with a stiffness of about the same spring rate as stock it can provide good comfort and a drop of 1" once installed.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The picture of the swift springs may not be for the R35 GTR which should be linear springs.

Swift makes many springs and some are progressive.

The stock springs are progressive and as a result may not be quite as comfortable for street use.

The Swift linear spring has less coils than a progressive spring so it saves weight and with a stiffness of about the same spring rate as stock it can provide good comfort and a drop of 1" once installed.
the picture was taken at Sharif's shop seemingly today... so, they are for the R35... this makes me wonder if they made a change or sent him the wrong spring?

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Stormcrow...why don't you track? Once you track you never go back...lol.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Stormcrow...why don't you track? Once you track you never go back...lol.

still contemplating it... need some lessons first...

·
Papa Smurf
666 Posts
Man...that red looks good with the HMB wheels...
need a lesson for what? tracking? every session is a lesson!!!!

·
Registered
6,731 Posts

still contemplating it... need some lessons first...
It's good to have a healthy respect for tracking but...

It's often learn as you go (grow).

Get some basics down then practice by getting some seat time.

No need to push harder than you feel comfortable with.

No need to worry about taking full advantage of your GTR

Everyone has to learn from some point.

OK, back to the topic

Swift makes lots of springs. But for the R35 it's only linear as far as I know.

Swift linear sport springs

Swift Sport Springs Spec R but not for R35GTR
Spec R do fit Lancer Evo 8/9, Subaru WRX Sti, and Nissan 350Z

So it still could be in the current shipment to Forged but for the 350Z
The box doesn't say Spec R

·
Registered
665 Posts
It's good to have a healthy respect for tracking but...

It's often learn as you go (grow).

Get some basics down then practice by getting some seat time.

No need to push harder than you feel comfortable with.

No need to worry about taking full advantage of your GTR

Everyone has to learn from some point.

OK, back to the topic

Swift makes lots of springs. But for the R35 it's only linear as far as I know.

Swift linear sport springs

Swift Sport Springs Spec R but not for R35GTR
Spec R do fit Lancer Evo 8/9, Subaru WRX Sti, and Nissan 350Z

So it still could be in the current shipment to Forged but for the 350Z
The box doesn't say Spec R
Sharif was waiting on six sets..and for quite a while. All six were for the GT-R...and all are shown in that photo... So, either they sent him the wrong springs (which would absolutely suck due to the amount of time he waited on those) or they made some sort of revision to the R35 spring... i will wait for Sharif to chime in before i speculate...

·
Enthusiast
755 Posts
i understand... but, i don't want to "learn" in my car... Sharif has been kind enough to offer to instruct me in his GT-R... so, i can put that into the wall and not mine... :-D

Sharif was waiting on six sets..and for quite a while. All six were for the GT-R...and all are shown in that photo... So, either they sent him the wrong springs (which would absolutely suck due to the amount of time he waited on those) or they made some sort of revision to the R35 spring... i will wait for Sharif to chime in before i speculate...
had a post from one memeber who stated there were some progressives swift. trying to dig it.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
If you look at Sharif's picture the red springs have a total of 9 coils which could represent both front and rear springs intertwined on each other which would make it look like a progressive spring.

If you look at the other Swift pics
For the red linear springs-
Front (taller spring?) has 5 coils rear has 4 coils

For the blue progressive springs each has about 7 coils front or rear

We all hope that Forged got the right GTR Swift springs.

This pdf shows what Swift's site says about fitment, models for the GTR and spring rates
http://www.swiftsprings.com/file/ss.pdf

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
"i understand... but, i don't want to "learn" in my car... Sharif has been kind enough to offer to instruct me in his GT-R... so, i can put that into the wall and not mine... :-D"

The chance of you putting your car into the wall is much less than it is having it wrecked on the street.

Sign up with the local PCA or BMW club for one of their DE track weekends. As a 'novice' you will be paired with an instructor for at least the first day, and you won't be sent out alone until you are signed off. You will get classroom instruction in the friction circle, plus lots of other driving dynamics that are useful on track as well as on the street. Things such as threshold braking; driving thru' the pylons, etc. Some clubs will even make a skid pad using hoses and dish washing liquid; great fun. You will start out 'slow' and quickly work up to decent speeds which are very easy to do in the GT-R.

I would not encourage you to 'learn' track driving with someone as experienced as Sharif. He will scare the crap out of you since you won't believe initially that the car will actually stay on the road surface, and throwing up in his GT-R would be embarassing!! lol

Everyone says that taking your car, any car, to the track is the most fun you can have with your clothes on; it's absolutely true. An added benefit is that I find myself driving slower, (relatively), on the street due to getting all of my driving jollies on the track, and I would never 'street race' anymore as it's not necessary and frankly stupid.

Bish

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Lets stick to topic.

It's a good thread to start- learning to drive on the track. I recommend doing it/learning in your own GTR.

On the track-

Any differences Swift vs Eibach?

On the street, both seem to get positive comments.

Obvious differences-
Price
Weight
Ride height
Linear vs progressively rated

·
Registered
665 Posts
"i understand... but, i don't want to "learn" in my car... Sharif has been kind enough to offer to instruct me in his GT-R... so, i can put that into the wall and not mine... :-D"

The chance of you putting your car into the wall is much less than it is having it wrecked on the street.

Sign up with the local PCA or BMW club for one of their DE track weekends. As a 'novice' you will be paired with an instructor for at least the first day, and you won't be sent out alone until you are signed off. You will get classroom instruction in the friction circle, plus lots of other driving dynamics that are useful on track as well as on the street. Things such as threshold braking; driving thru' the pylons, etc. Some clubs will even make a skid pad using hoses and dish washing liquid; great fun. You will start out 'slow' and quickly work up to decent speeds which are very easy to do in the GT-R.

I would not encourage you to 'learn' track driving with someone as experienced as Sharif. He will scare the crap out of you since you won't believe initially that the car will actually stay on the road surface, and throwing up in his GT-R would be embarassing!! lol

Everyone says that taking your car, any car, to the track is the most fun you can have with your clothes on; it's absolutely true. An added benefit is that I find myself driving slower, (relatively), on the street due to getting all of my driving jollies on the track, and I would never 'street race' anymore as it's not necessary and frankly stupid.

Bish
bish - i was just joshing, doc. Sharif did offer to instruct me in his car (with him as the passenger...not me...i've already learned my lesson riding with him) but, of course i would never put it into a wall... *lol* as a matter of fact, he sent me a picture of him practicing instructing me yesterday... he was heading to PRI riding shotgun with Sandy...leaned back...and had a fscking airplane head/neck rest thing on!
meaning he was basically going to take a nap while i drove on the track...

but, thank you for all of the sage advice. you are 100% correct and if i enjoy my time driving with Sharif (no doubt i will) then i will certainly take a class to learn all of the basic fundamentals and physics behind racing... as a helicopter pilot and IT professional, i know full well the importance of learning the basics...

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
bish - i was just joshing, doc. Sharif did offer to instruct me in his car (with him as the passenger...not me...i've already learned my lesson riding with him) but, of course i would never put it into a wall... *lol* as a matter of fact, he sent me a picture of him practicing instructing me yesterday... he was heading to PRI riding shotgun with Sandy...leaned back...and had a fscking airplane head/neck rest thing on!
meaning he was basically going to take a nap while i drove on the track...

but, thank you for all of the sage advice. you are 100% correct and if i enjoy my time driving with Sharif (no doubt i will) then i will certainly take a class to learn all of the basic fundamentals and physics behind racing... as a helicopter pilot and IT professional, i know full well the importance of learning the basics...
I envy you as an helicopter pilot. We just got back from Hawaii and took a 45 minute tour of Maui in a very modern looking helicopter; Christ what a great flight.

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
Hi everyone. I will double check with swift on Monday. The spring itself has an R35 tag on it so I know it's the correct spring. I will find out linear vs. Progressive and if any changes were made.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts