Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Boost depends on stock rods or forged rods, FP modified OEM turbos can efficiently boost up to 28psi on the GTR.

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
We ran our road race car on 17psi on the track with the Alpha9 turbos, then 19-20psi on the street.

@19PSI the car will make 640-660 depending on dyno and will be very reliable if tuned properly.

It really just depends on how hard you want to push the factory parts. I have a drag customer that is still stock motor running 25PSI on Alpha9s and hasn't had any issue. ( that is on race gas of course)

Your tuner will most likely tell you what he is comfortable with based on your goals and expectations for longevity.

Hope this helps

~Cicio

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good info, thanks - the reason I am asking is because I am running 21lbs boost using precision engineering upgraded turbos, and making [email protected] the wheels on a mustang dyno. Wondering if I would be making any more power with a kit like AMS alpha 9 or switzer.p800. I assumed since they were all upgraded oem turbos that they would flow about the same? If it makes any difference, I am using 800cc injectors and stock fuel pump. All bolt on's, 3 inch intake, etc.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Makes sense..I guess bottom line is I want to figure out if its the turbos holding me back from making that much power, or the 800cc injectors and stock fuel pump. I should probably just stop worrying about it and drive the car..or buy an alpha 10 package

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts
Makes sense..I guess bottom line is I want to figure out if its the turbos holding me back from making that much power, or the 800cc injectors and stock fuel pump. I should probably just stop worrying about it and drive the car..or buy an alpha 10 package
ALPHA 10 cures all lol... except if you are running an ALPHA 12

Like Neil stated its not just the part but the collection of parts and the assembly / tuning behind them. It would be hard to know where your weak link is. if you want you can email me a mod list and maybe i can put together a personal ALPHA setup based on your needs and using as much of your existing hardware as possible [email protected]

Eric

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
With all this talk of 93 or 91 octane, is there an effective way of using meth injection on the GTR? I have a 50/50 mix meth injection kit on my Supra and it runs like it's on race gas (almost, anyways
). For a daily driver, running pump gas but having race gas like performance would be ideal. I haven't seen this talked about that much, or I'm missing those threads.

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts
As far as we (AMS) are considered Meth is not an acceptable option for the GT-R. The problem is even the best systems are not 100% failsafe and when using methanol you are relying so much on the system for fueling that in the event it fails severe engine failure can occur. Methanol injections systems are their own stand alone systems so in just about all cases they operate totally independent of the factory fuel system and ECU.

While race gas is a a more expensive alternative the cost is offset by the fact that you don't have to worry about it failing on you

·
R36 Member
6,049 Posts
As far as we (AMS) are considered Meth is not an acceptable option for the GT-R. The problem is even the best systems are not 100% failsafe and when using methanol you are relying so much on the system for fueling that in the event it fails severe engine failure can occur. Methanol injections systems are their own stand alone systems so in just about all cases they operate totally independent of the factory fuel system and ECU.

While race gas is a a more expensive alternative the cost is offset by the fact that you don't have to worry about it failing on you
secondary fuel tanks and fuel switching for race gas is pretty feasible and a much better alternative, IIRC.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

I see what you are saying, which is what the knock on meth injection has always been, but I only have my Supra to compare this to, so bear with me.

So, from what you are saying, the stock ECU is not capable of managing the meth system, unlike an aftermarket ecu like the proEFI? It makes sense to me that the stock ECU would not be capable of it, but I know on my Supra that there are various failsafes built into it to insure I don't blow my engine up is the meth is not flowing. I'm sure it's not 100%, but based on my tuner/installer and his knowledge, it seems it's pretty close to failsafe. I guess the question is, would an aftermarket ecu be better for managing the meth? Also, it would seem that this would create other issues since there is not way an aftermarket ecu will perform as well as the stock ecu on such a complicated car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.