Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to discount what Switzer is doing, but couldn't one get a fast vehicle by just installing intakes, downpipes, mid pipe, exhaust, tune and e85? I see e85 tuned GTR's running 10.0's to 10.2's consistently. As state by Neil at Switzer the P800 runs mid to high tens depending on the weather. A bolt on GTR would not require the engine to be removed and IMO would cost around 10k less than having the P800 kit installed.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Drag racing isn't what these cars are design for. Try to take on p800 on a road course. Most p800 owners don't have drag race as priority. That being say, e85 is great for drag racing.

154 Posts
Good call, I plan on doing both, track is first priority though. I'm doing the trans and axels though which will allow a hard launch. With that being said, on the strip I should be able to stay in the lower tens Im told.

·
driving big boats
540 Posts
Not to discount what Switzer is doing, but couldn't one get a fast vehicle by just installing intakes, downpipes, mid pipe, exhaust, tune and e85? I see e85 tuned GTR's running 10.0's to 10.2's consistently. As state by Neil at Switzer the P800 runs mid to high tens depending on the weather. A bolt on GTR would not require the engine to be removed and IMO would cost around 10k less than having the P800 kit installed.

Any thoughts?
The mid to high tens Neil is quoting are on street tires and soft launches to preserve the stock transmission/drivetrain. A P800 on drag radials and a good launch is low ten second capable. I will put drag radials on and I'll be sure to share some 1/4 mile results when I get the car back. As stated above, most P800 cars are road course/track oriented. Also, I'm pretty sure a 700awhp car will pull a 600awhp car from a roll, if launching at the drag strip isnt your cup of tea.

·
SPI Performance Consultant
2,997 Posts
The mid to high tens Neil is quoting are on street tires and soft launches to preserve the stock transmission/drivetrain.
This is correct, the drag racing P800's have been almost nonexistant until now, I look forward to Shipwreck's results. 99% of the P800's on the road today are road course guys or those who enjoy it on the street.

Running the stock turbos on E85 can be a bit wreckless depending on the how it is set up.

·
Registered
227 Posts
E85 on stock turbos is a great setup for a few blasts down the strip. However the stock turbos do create alot of heat when turned up and trying to run the car pretty hard. They are just inefficient at those levels. An E85 stock turbo car will put down much less than an upgraded turbo car on 93 octane (at least 100whp on my tests).

With a P800 you have a track worthy car that is not on the limits when trying to roadrace, etc. A stock turbo car generates alot of heat on higher boost levels and gets into heat issues pretty early on track.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
This is correct, the drag racing P800's have been almost nonexistant until now, I look forward to Shipwreck's results. 99% of the P800's on the road today are road course guys or those who enjoy it on the street.

Running the stock turbos on E85 can be a bit wreckless depending on the how it is set up.
Neil can you elaborate on "Running the stock turbos on E85 can be a bit wreckless depending on the how it is set up."..............As as I am just about to venture down this route for the purpose of drag racing

·
R35 GT-R
2,070 Posts
Neil is saying that the stock turbos create a crap-load of heat at high boost. Sure, you can run stock turbos on E85 with exhaust, intake, injectors, aggressive tune and run great 1/4 mile times, but the longevity and consistency in truly harsh conditions (like road-racing) won't match the P800's. The P800 is made to be extremely reliable and consistent in the harshest conditions on 93 octane. It's way beyond a budget drag racing setup.

It's focus is the same as my setup, but with 200 less HP.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Neil is saying that the stock turbos create a crap-load of heat at high boost. Sure, you can run stock turbos on E85 with exhaust, intake, injectors, aggressive tune and run great 1/4 mile times, but the longevity and consistency in truly harsh conditions (like road-racing) won't match the P800's. The P800 is made to be extremely reliable and consistent in the harshest conditions on 93 octane. It's way beyond a budget drag racing setup.

It's focus is the same as my setup, but with 200 less HP.
Neil what your view on this ?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Not taking anything away from Switzer cause they do great work and have been great for this community. I will say this my car has been running on E85 with an aggresive tune for almost 2 year now and all is great so far. (hope I don't jinx myself). I could also confidently say I doubt anyone with stock turbos has ran a gtr as much as I have, be it on the track or street racing especially. For the members that know me on here, i'm sure they can vouch for that.

If I had the extra $ ofcourse I would do a build with Swizer or AMS, but it goes to show atleast in my case the GTR has held up quite nicely on stock turbos with E85.

As far as the heat produced by the stock turbos, dosn't E85 have a cooling affect on the motor??

One last thing, I have seen a few comments on how running actuators is a bad idea. Well maybe it is, I'm no mechanic or engineer but i have been running those also for 2 years.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Many are comparing quick blast to 190 mph vs road course, they are totally different. One pull to 190 mph on E85 is less than 30 s, the road course is over 20 minutes. Do back to back to back runs on your aggressive tune at drag strip, I bet your knock will increase and that is less than 11s pulls with cool downs after the run. Take that same 1/4 mi tune to the road course and your boost gauge will light up in the first lap especially in hot weather.
Just like all these 1500 whp gallardos, GTR, ford GT, they are for short bursts, not like oem able to run it for 30 min at max rated hp.

·
SPI Performance Consultant
2,997 Posts
Neil what your view on this ?
Scott's post is exactly what I would have written.

When you stress components you must expect a failure, either directly (that part fails) or indirectly (causes other parts to fail). The methodology behind the P800 is to avoid such over-stressing of components.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Pdv25,
Glad to hear all is good after 2years. Curious...how many miles have you driven on E85 tune in those 2 years?

Not taking anything away from Switzer cause they do great work and have been great for this community. I will say this my car has been running on E85 with an aggresive tune for almost 2 year now and all is great so far. (hope I don't jinx myself). I could also confidently say I doubt anyone with stock turbos has ran a gtr as much as I have, be it on the track or street racing especially. For the members that know me on here, i'm sure they can vouch for that.

If I had the extra $ ofcourse I would do a build with Swizer or AMS, but it goes to show atleast in my case the GTR has held up quite nicely on stock turbos with E85.

As far as the heat produced by the stock turbos, dosn't E85 have a cooling affect on the motor??

One last thing, I have seen a few comments on how running actuators is a bad idea. Well maybe it is, I'm no mechanic or engineer but i have been running those also for 2 years.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Pdv25,
Glad to hear all is good after 2years. Curious...how many miles have you driven on E85 tune in those 2 years?
Thanks.. driven a bit over 12k on e85

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.