Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back my '09 Super Silver ride from the guys at Switzer. Ethan and Neil did a great job getting the job done (managing expectations, progress reports, transportation to/from, etc.). The gods were smiling as I had a Sunny and sort of dry road day in Southeast Michigan to drive it briefly. First, I have had several Porsches and a heavily modded '07 Exige I used to track...I chose an R35 after driving a friend's...debated waiting for the '12 but decided to go slightly used so I could mod and get to the same place for less money. I couldn't be happier...you have to right a big check to equal this level of performance and the sacrifices that you make to get there are not worth it from my vantage point...and, you just don't see these on the road...anywhere....

Anyway, some early impressions on the under the hood inspection and install overall.

The quality and care that goes into the installation is fantastic. One of the guys in our firm worked for an OEM in their performance division and he currently is the curator for my boss's exotic vehicles (Ferrari's, Gullwing, SLR, Lambo's etc.). He got out his flash light and crawled all over the engine bay. He was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the bits, clearances and the Switzer branding on the hoses and billet pieces. Inside, the latest P800's get the updated Cobb set-up that connects up to 8 maps into the cruise control switches on the steering wheel. This is cool and eliminates the need for the HKS boost controller on the lower dash (by the Disc player). It facilitates among other things an easy "valet" mode to mitigate the Ferris Bueller nightmare we all have...

Early driving impressions - OMG ! I had a Stage 1 from Switzer (which is a must have for any R35 owner) but, this is a huge difference !! First, change in idle sound w/removal of primary cats is minimally louder but the same tone, burble, etc. Idle performance is just like stock and low rpm driveability is just like stock. Throttle tip in is normal and everything works just like new (no CEL's etc.)...general noise level cruising and part throttle is louder (in a good way)...there is no question this car is all business and attracts pedestrian attention at any speed (can't wait to cruise Woodward and get reactions this spring). Standing on it in any gear is a huge rush on the street. With the larger compressors it just goes in the upper RPM range where the stock turbos ran out of air....With no cats the WOT roar is fantastic and you run out of road very quickly. With cold, three year old tires, damp roads and plenty of pot holes to navigate, the conditions were not ideal so the traction controll was in overtime mode...the sound of those Tial Wastegates is just awesome....they can be heard by pedestrians in a good way (not like some frankenstein modded drift or time attack car).

I hand washed it and tucked it away for the next 6 weeks as we have snow again today....maybe some more thoughts when the weather breaks...needless to say, anyone considering but concerned about logistics, quality of tune, driveability, real performance, price/value, etc. it is/was worth it for me....

One question for Neil - not sure you have weighed a current P800 vs stock...curious to know the curb weight difference w/exhaust, cat removal, monster intercooolers, etc. vs. Stock. My educated guess is the P800 weighs 50-75 lbs. less than stock...

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hey Twin,

Congratulations man! Aren't these P800's amazing! ( Switzer service , attention to detail, and pride in what they do is outstanding) I needed this and wanted this as a customer and they delivered. (very important for me as a purchaser )

I believe our cars were on the same truck again but coming back to us.
Enjoy your car . But watch out for the dam cinders on the road. I feel like I'm at war with the city because of the salt trucks. All car guys know what I'm talking about. Any little stone or salt pellet that we hear hit our cars make me want to place some C4 under their trucks. ( just fooling everyone)

Anyway , take care and have fun.

Soon I will take some pictures of mine and place them on the forum. Just need a nice day.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Congrats man, sounds like a blast!

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Just got back my '09 Super Silver ride from the guys at Switzer. Ethan and Neil did a great job getting the job done (managing expectations, progress reports, transportation to/from, etc.). The gods were smiling as I had a Sunny and sort of dry road day in Southeast Michigan to drive it briefly. First, I have had several Porsches and a heavily modded '07 Exige I used to track...I chose an R35 after driving a friend's...debated waiting for the '12 but decided to go slightly used so I could mod and get to the same place for less money. I couldn't be happier...you have to right a big check to equal this level of performance and the sacrifices that you make to get there are not worth it from my vantage point...and, you just don't see these on the road...anywhere....

Anyway, some early impressions on the under the hood inspection and install overall.

The quality and care that goes into the installation is fantastic. One of the guys in our firm worked for an OEM in their performance division and he currently is the curator for my boss's exotic vehicles (Ferrari's, Gullwing, SLR, Lambo's etc.). He got out his flash light and crawled all over the engine bay. He was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the bits, clearances and the Switzer branding on the hoses and billet pieces. Inside, the latest P800's get the updated Cobb set-up that connects up to 8 maps into the cruise control switches on the steering wheel. This is cool and eliminates the need for the HKS boost controller on the lower dash (by the Disc player). It facilitates among other things an easy "valet" mode to mitigate the Ferris Bueller nightmare we all have...

Early driving impressions - OMG ! I had a Stage 1 from Switzer (which is a must have for any R35 owner) but, this is a huge difference !! First, change in idle sound w/removal of primary cats is minimally louder but the same tone, burble, etc. Idle performance is just like stock and low rpm driveability is just like stock. Throttle tip in is normal and everything works just like new (no CEL's etc.)...general noise level cruising and part throttle is louder (in a good way)...there is no question this car is all business and attracts pedestrian attention at any speed (can't wait to cruise Woodward and get reactions this spring). Standing on it in any gear is a huge rush on the street. With the larger compressors it just goes in the upper RPM range where the stock turbos ran out of air....With no cats the WOT roar is fantastic and you run out of road very quickly. With cold, three year old tires, damp roads and plenty of pot holes to navigate, the conditions were not ideal so the traction controll was in overtime mode...the sound of those Tial Wastegates is just awesome....they can be heard by pedestrians in a good way (not like some frankenstein modded drift or time attack car).

I hand washed it and tucked it away for the next 6 weeks as we have snow again today....maybe some more thoughts when the weather breaks...needless to say, anyone considering but concerned about logistics, quality of tune, driveability, real performance, price/value, etc. it is/was worth it for me....

One question for Neil - not sure you have weighed a current P800 vs stock...curious to know the curb weight difference w/exhaust, cat removal, monster intercooolers, etc. vs. Stock. My educated guess is the P800 weighs 50-75 lbs. less than stock...
You know I'm coming over to check 'er out once the weather get nice right
?

Congrats Bro,

Dave

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know I'm coming over to check 'er out once the weather get nice right
?

Congrats Bro,

Dave
Dave - Any time... Just PM me....

The roads are a mess....the next 6 weeks will be spent gazing at my car on the four post lif w/cigar in hand until the snow runs it's course...

I had Ethan at Switzer send some progress pics....one was with the monster intercoolers installed before the front bumper cover was re-attached....they are definitely "cool"....maybe Neil or Ethan can throw em up on this thread....

·
SPI Performance Consultant
2,997 Posts
Thanks for posting your impressions Whit! It has been a pleasure to work with you on the build, and I believe I speak for Ethan as well, we are extremely proud to have you as a member of the Switzer GTR family.

Dan, I think you have that SS GTR mistaken with another that was headed south, we did have a few of them in here! ;) I do agree, I can't stand the salt on the roads, not only does it eat away at the cars but out here it will draw the deer to the road, even more of a hazzard...

I will get some pictures posted up on Monday of your build.

154 Posts
Just what I wanted to hear, placed order and deposit on p800 this week. Just waiting for Nissan to give me my car! What exhaust did you use, as that is the only thing im questioning and did you do the trans? So stoked! Thanks

154 Posts
Which package are you running on your r35 skylines?

154 Posts
Skyliner not skylines

·
ACG Automotive
2,588 Posts
Love reading this! Glad to hear you are enjoying the package and everything met/exceeding your expectations!

Can't wait to join the Switzer family myself this summer.

154 Posts
Love reading this! Glad to hear you are enjoying the package and everything met/exceeding your expectations!

Can't wait to join the Switzer family myself this summer.
They give you an eta yet on your car tgoss?

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Skyliner not skylines
this should be good....

Deuces, he doesn't have one -- Yeah, I know, how could he possibly say a P800 isn't enough....we've all thought the same thing

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.