Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Turbo AWD or Nothing
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started up my 2012 tonight to go out for a short spin. I turned on my headlights and noticed that my center console wasn't lite up. All the controls still work, just no lights. Also realized that my rear tail lights were not illuminated when the headlights were on (brake lights still function). I figured it might be a blown fuse so I opened up the fuse box to find the "tail/illumi" 10amp fuse was blown. I changed the fuse with the spare 10amp and tested the headlights again to see if the rear would light up but again, same problem. Checked the fuse i just changed and it blew again immediately.

The only modifications ive done are LED's in the front corner markers, headlights, rear plate, interior doors, and dome lights. All of them still work except the rear plate. I did a visual inspection of the rear plate LED's/plugs and everything seems to be in order.

Could the LED's be the cause of the blown fuse? Has this happened to any one else?

I came inside to take a short break from this and did a search but nothing came up. Any help is appreciated.

·
Founder/Admin
26,233 Posts
ive did a full LED swap and no issues at all... aslong as you used to correct led for each area and put them in the right way i doubt it would blow the fuse

are the what type of LEDs did you put in the rear area? the 12V 1904?

·
Turbo AWD or Nothing
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the full LED kit from [email protected] Performance and used the LED's labeled for the rear plate. Not sure what type they are since the packaging is in Japanese. Ive had them on the car since September and only encountered this problem tonight....

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Put all the stock bulbs in and schedule a dealer appointment. Get a loaner to beat on ;)

·
Founder/Admin
26,233 Posts
i think i have the same ones... ive had mine in for about 3-4 months...

i know there are a few different ones people put back there.... ive seen the LEDs that are like a longer style that are said to be made for that area....but the ones i ended up putting back there looked exactly like the ones that went in my dome light area....

if they had been working since sept i dont understand how they would all of the sudden cause an issue... could it be a coincidence?

so have you tried to replace the fuse a 3rd time? i would put the original bulbs in then replace the fuse and see what happens

·
Turbo AWD or Nothing
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My next plan of attack is to put the stock bulbs back in and have my friend whos a mechanic for Nissan come over and bring me some spare fuses. I used the 1 spare 10amp that the car came with so ill have to wait till tom. to check again. Then I still have to deal with the center console lights...

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
If it hadn't have been fine for 3 months I would have immediately suspected the LEDs and probably the inline resistors being too small a value. I guess it is still possible to be that and perhaps the value was borderline and you have just been lucky up until now.

When you say it blew immediately, I'm assuming you mean that you changed it and then when you turned the lights on it blew again?

Is the rear plate LED lights working at all? i.e with the fuse changed and sidelights on does it work?

·
Turbo AWD or Nothing
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Turbo AWD or Nothing
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In that case I think that LED has gone bad and is shorting and should be removed. I would test out of the car with a meter or failing that just apply 12V to it.
Good idea. Ill make sure my friend brings his meter before installing another fuse.

·
Turbo AWD or Nothing
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turns out it was the LED. I guess i need glasses because i dont know how i didnt see this

Changed the fuse and everything went back to normal.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i have same problem, which fuse is it? Is it in the driverside foot well, and which exact fuse is it. This just happened to me and I can not figure out which fuse it is.

thanks

·
Turbo AWD or Nothing
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have same problem, which fuse is it? Is it in the driverside foot well, and which exact fuse is it. This just happened to me and I can not figure out which fuse it is.

thanks
The fuse box in the engine bay next to the battery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts