Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Forgive me if this is a dead horse. I did search and also read the first page of posts in here, didn't find what I was looking for. To give you guys some background, like all of you I, obviously, am a car guy. Currently I lease a 2012 X5M, own a 1993 CYM RX-7, and just sold my 2003 M5. I've been interested in the GT-R for a long time, but never got around to shopping for them, never driven one, never raced one on track etc.

Today I went to a local GT-R certified Nissan dealership (Nissan of San Jose on Capitol Expressway if you're a local.) They had a trade in 2012 GT-R, I think that was a premium, and a white 2013 Black edition. I expected some hassle to test drive one, but honestly not to this extent.

To give some context I test drove my X5M, my M5, a 911 Turbo, a Cayman S, Panamera S, and countless other cars by just giving my drivers license and business card. Honestly I test drove an Evo X MR a few months after they had come out with similar credentials. I am not a child, nor a dreamer.

Back to the present, the first sales rep I talked to was entirely aloof and after unlocking the 2013 for my friends and I, he just left. He had nothing to say, no further contribution to the conversation. I thought that was it, and I gave him my card one time when he walked by within earshot and said let me know when you can give a test drive or spend some time with me. He instantly called over the GT-R sales person when he saw my business card and handed me off.

They asked me to fill out a credit report and figure out "terms" before he'd let me drive one. I understand and respect how rare and special these cars are and honestly after having waited 4 years to drive one I figured, what the hell, I can afford to spend 15 minutes if it will finally let me understand why everyone is in love with this car.

Upon filling the requisite forms out, it was clear I could afford this car, had the means to buy it today, yet somehow it came down to negotiating price. Before I've even heard the motor running, let alone drive it?! Obviously I'd checked the sticker, but I didn't see on the sticker they were asking $20k on top of MSRP. I thought those days were over, we are 4 model years into the cycle here. When the sales rep mentioned the markup, I told him very honestly that I have no intention of paying over sticker. Instantly the dealer markup was now down to 15k. I again said, that's great, but I'd never pay that. I said I'll find dealers on the internet that will sell me this car for sticker. I know this car hasn't been flying off of showroom floors the way Nissan thought they would. We went through a lovely discussion where I was told "this is market value for the car" which seems ridiculous because to me "market value" means there would be a sold sign on the car. When my friend with me offered that explanation, we were told that the sales rep had friends who made 6 and 7 figures with GT-Rs, Porsches, and Buggatis and they would pay this price. This completely unprofessional response turned me off. I literally had filled out a form that clearly demonstrated I make well into the 6 figures, and yet I'm told I'm not good enough? Forgive me for sounding like a whining 1%er, but anyone reading this with any sales experience whatsoever must be shaking their heads.

At this point the entire conversation stalled, he had no intention of letting me experience the magic that is a GT-R. He offered no alternative path. I left after I literally thanked him for wasting my time. Is this seriously what a legitimate buyer of these cars can expect?

I was with my friend when he placed an order on his 458. With another coworker when he drove a V10 R8 off of the showroom floor…at sticker price…and we were never talked down to like this. Honestly I'm shocked at this behavior, like I said I've driven countless Porsches without even talking this much to a rep. If there's any Bay Area dealers reading this willing to let me test drive their car, I'll gladly meet them.

Any tips for the right way to have this conversation? I refuse to even negotiate on price before experiencing it! I can't trust magazines or "pundits" telling me what something is worth. Maybe I misunderstood the whole process and should have played the game and agreed that 15k over sticker is "reasonable?" But, I prefer not to lie. I'd love any advice or input from the community.

Thanks for reading, this is probably the longest first post in car forum history.

·
Registered
525 Posts
[sub][sub][sub]k[/sub][/sub][/sub]

·
Registered
525 Posts
Pretty typical, I experienced a similar situation at at a dealer trying to sell a 2010…in 2012. He tried to pull all credit check bullsh#t and tried to put the screws to me before I had even sat in the car. I quickly left said dealer.

My 2012 had 1k miles on it when I bought it. I drove up in my then bmw z4 I had bought 9 months earlier (ok not my best choice). I was dressed well. I talked to the sales guys for a few minutes and he came back with the keys. No credit check, no big discussion of price or much of anything. However I didn't actually purchase it that day. I felt they wanted too much for the car at the time and didn't actually buy it till about 5 weeks later when the sales guy called me and told me they really wanted to get rid of this car. He made reference to being tired of all the tire kickers and they were ready to negotiate. Literally while I was there waiting to finalize the deal there was a guy on his way to see it and 2 calls about it. I realize this is a very rare occurrence from my reading here. Just the way it worked out for me.

I would say if they have a used one there should be no reason for them not to let you drive it if you show you're serious about buying one. Doubt there is any chance of you driving a 2013 unless they get desperate to sell them.

I had 1993 CYM RX-7 for 14 years…loved that car. Can't keep everything for ever as much as I try. I finally parted with it a few years back. I sold it to a good friend of mine who put a turbo v8 in it. Currently puts 650 hp to the wheels. Not much usable traction

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
find another dealer....

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts
I think you and the dealer came to an impass when they discovered you were an educated consumer who didn't buy into there over MSRP bullshit. At that point they probably figured you were going to test drive their car and buy another from an internet lead.

I think part of the problem is that Nissan lacks the sales tact to sells cars of this caliber and deal with people in this income category and market segment.

At any rate you are better off not dealing with them.

There are lots of cars out there and shipping is a snap.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
This is the typical Nissan dealer attitude. These "salesman" are used to selling Sentras to people with bad credit.

Just agree with them, say you will pay the 20k over sticker. Test drive the car, leave, and find a dealer that will sell you the car at msrp, even if that means you have to ship it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you and the dealer came to an impass when they discovered you were an educated consumer who didn't buy into there over MSRP bullshit. At that point they probably figured you were going to test drive their car and buy another from an internet lead.

I think part of the problem is that Nissan lacks the sales tact to sells cars of this caliber and deal with people in this income category and market segment.

At any rate you are better off not dealing with them.

There are lots of cars out there and shipping is a snap.

Good luck with your search.
Thanks! The more I think about it, the more I realize how right you are, their dealership network can't deal with it. I would have hoped the car being 4 years old and all that it would have improved. Sounds like I just should have done my homework here better before I left.

·
Registered
597 Posts
MirageJHU, unfortunately dealer attitudes about the GT-R are all over the place. I recently vented about my experiences trying to buy a GT-R at MSRP at a Bay Area dealer (Stevens Creek Nissan in my case):

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?/topic/67335-how-not-to-sell-an-almost-100k-car/

And to think that Premier Nissan of San Jose is supposed to be the saner, less greedy alternative to Stevens Creek Nissan... sigh...

PM me and I can point you to the salesperson at another dealership who actually sold me my '13 at MSRP (and of course let me test-drive it before we did any of the paperwork or price talk).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^ I dont think it's gonna be that easy
Looking back, I think it really would have been that easy. I'll let you know if it happens again

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I was kicked out of a Nissan dealer once for offending the manager; I said I wouldnt pay more than 1,000 over invoice on a 2012 GTR. This was after they tried to sell me a leftover 2010 GTR for 10,000 over msrp with 500 miles on it.

That experience almost made me not get the car, I had such a bad experience there. Eventually I got over it, and I'm glad it did, the car is just as good as the reviews say it is.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I thought there were test drives period on these cars? I've heard that people buying these cars don't want any miles on the car including the 1200 mile break in?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I ordered a GT-R when NNA first announced they were taking orders. Filled out paperwork and dealer said they will "want something" over sticker when car arrives. I said I wasn't interested. Their response was just order the car and we'll talk about it when the car arrives. I agreed knowing it was unlikely I would buy the car anyway. Car arrives and they wanted 30k plus 11k for a "maintenance program." I laughed and said no thanks. They called me back two more times within a week, lowering the mark-up by 10k each time plus the 11k for maintenance. All the while the economy is going down the tubes. Was told the car was sold to another dealer. The dealer was Classic Nissan in Mt. Holly, NJ. The 2012 I have now was purchased at sticker from Woodbury Nissan in NJ.

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts
Hahaha. All these Nissan dealer stories crack me up.

When they have a GTR they are like a dog with a bone.

A local Nissan dealer tried to sell me 2012 with 3500 miles on it for MSRP. The car was far less than clean and found out a short while later that almost all of those 3500 miles were hard miles on a track. The owner would even let all of his buddies drive it on the track. I had to laugh when the GM was telling me how the owner pampered this car and took such good care of it. I ended up with a 2011 with 2500 miles for $15k less. It's a bonus that the 2011 was in mint condition.

When you're in the market it always pays to shop hard, ask a lot of questions and find out everything you can about the car you want.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Haha, that's a funny story because when I got my 08 Nismo 350z the dealer wanted a downpayment and 40k MSRP for the car and it was already 2010! lol In addition, it had 715 (HARD) test drive miles on the odo, but ended up getting the car for 32k.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was there a week or so ago. They had the same cars. I test drove the 2012 (because that's what they offered). Vincent from internet sales helped me out. I walked away because I wasn't ready to buy that moment and I was turned off by their nearly 20k markups.

·
Registered
360 Posts
That's laughable, it would be cheaper to fly to a dealer in a different state, test drive the car, and have it shipped back home. Greedy bastards.

·
There can be only one.
1,004 Posts
This is interesting. I looked at a blue pearl '13 on Thursday at a dealer in New Jersey. They put me with the sales manager and after a few minutes of talking, he had the car brought around and was going to have a plate put on it for me to test drive it. I politely declined and told him I didn't need to drive it, I already have one.
I put a deposit on the car today and will take delivery April 14th.
Great dealer and experience so far.
S.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts