Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
So where does this story begin.. in a Home Depot Lot.. but I'll save you the love story between 'Renntech' (JJ) and myself.

Brief story is, he and I have become pretty good friends in a very short period of time. I have a unique personality in that I feel real friendships should be 'do or die.' And it actually makes friendships hard, because people don't always receipricate.

JJ and I like typical men are having a bit of a pissing contest to see who can go faster (1/4 mile times). JJ has won as of late, besting me in his GTR at the last Drag session.

Sooo.. to fix his ass, I ordered 2012 inlet pipes and 3.0 inch GotBoost intakes. I thought I was flying under the Radar and going to sneak some power in on him. Well he caught me and ordered the same 3.0 intakes.

I got my setup 'E-tuned' almost immediately by simply sending an email request to Mike @ AAM Competition for an update to my previous tune. Sadly, it took me about 2 weeks to use it, because my install skills were a little slow on the parts install.

Interestingly enough JJ and I basically get done on the same day. I install my tune and mine works like a champ, then I hold JJ's hand like the little bitch he is, installing his tune. JJ's e-tune from AMS (to get him to them the next day) did the craziest shit I have ever seen, on start up, INSTANTLY reved to 3500 and then dropped to 1500, then immediately ran back up to 4000 and dropped to 1500, and then ran up to 4500 and we shut it down. We both looked at each other like WTF! We did troubleshooting for a couple of hours doing EVERYTHING immaginable to get this to work. The sticky part is that the next day he was expected to be at AMS for a Dyno tune (what they sent was a 'generic base tune' that he was to use to go see them that is an hour and 1/2 drive away from Chicago (where JJ and I live). So JJ left a call late at night for AMS to send him a correct tune so he could drive the car. Problem is, unless they responded early in the morning he was going to be late to his appointment with AMS for a Dyno tune, which apparently is hard to get, requiring a few weeks advance notice.

9 am came, which was do or die time, and he hadnt gotten a tune from them, and the car was COMPLETELY undriveable.

So I did the unthinkable, I ASKED another tuner (Mike @ AAM Competition) to provide to me a base tune for my buddies GTR. SO THAT MY BUDDY COULD GET TO AMS AS HE HAD PREPAID THEM FOR A DYNO TUNE.

Here is the incredible part. MIKE DID IT. He understood that it was not about monopolizing on a tough situation, it was about stepping up and being a solution instead of an unwilling onlooker. He sent my buddy a free of charge (JJ has never been a customer of AAMs) a base tune, that made his car 'PURRRR LIKE A KITTEN' per JJ (renntech).

This is not about AMS vs AAM, this is about recognizing someone going above and beyond what you would ever expect someone to do to help you be successful. Who does something like that? The good people at AAM. For this reason, I am a customer for life. They set aside the bottom line in support of making my friends day turn from shit to SHINE!

MUCH LOVE TO AAM !!

PS. Even AMS was blown away by the 'out of box' tune AAM put on JJ's car, claiming it rivaled their own by 50-80 hp. (they dyno'd AAM's tune before putting AMS's on). Again, this meant to me, that Mike @ AAM competition didnt try to just give JJ a crappy map that would just get him there, he delivered a QAULITY solution.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
mike is a great guy.. i dealt with AAM many times in the past and they always went way above and beyond to help me out. I can not say one bad thing about those guys there. If AMS's prices weren't out of my league they would have gotten my business as well. They are both great shops.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Mike really is a great guy, even when I bought just a midpipe from him he spent over an hour on the phone with me explaining every stupid question I had in detail.

·
GO GATORS !!
627 Posts
Thanks little buddy !!! HUGE Props to Mike at AAM too !!! That was an awesome move on his part and certainly was appreciated. I can guarantee you the next mod that goes on my car is going to come these guys. I would definitely recommend AAM to anyone. Especially you Jon, because if you ever plan on being faster than me, you're going to need to purchase a lot more gofast mods from Mike and the boys at AAM !!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Damn, great guys at AAM, a free tune haha. Thats great, thats why im choosing an AAM Midpipe

·
Registered
520 Posts
These days, that's a rare form of 'customer' service.

Hats off to AAM.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Picking up my 650-R package installed by AAM tonight! I can't wait. I am fortunate that I live less than an hour from AAM. I remember years ago when Mike drove in my R33 GTR and tuned it for me. He has mad skill!

·
Registered
734 Posts
You'll be ecstatic with the package. AAM are the best folks I have ever dealt with and when you read above you can see why.

·
Cobb Tuning
421 Posts
Sorry there was an issue with the base file! I started from the previous E-Tune which was already installed in the car and only adjusted it slightly for the intakes!

Not sure where the software glitch was on that one, there must have been a firmware/software change somewhere in there which allowed that to happen.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I cant speak to what happened to the file. I know we did everythign possible to make it work, but it was definitely the file. The old tune we easily put back on, but we knew that was not safe to ride around on given the intake change. So again we tried uninstalling, reinstalling, different maps, everything, and everytime we put that file on the car, it went 'nuts.' Anyways this was all about how kick ass AAM is for steping up to help, not really pointing blame at anyone.

I'd request if ever given the chance to help AAM out in a recipricole mannor, you guys do the same.

Thanks!

Jon

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
+1 about Clint and Mike. Great guys!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Glad they could help... Mike and Clint have both gone above and beyond to ensure I'm happy..

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
They've always been great to me over the phone answering every question I have. I bought their Midpipe and it's excellent. The sound is amazing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had a small incident with knock on a COBB shelf tune With AAM Midpipe and Intake. Same type of STAND-UP story as above...

Mike stepped up to the plate in a heartbeat. Fixed my problem, worked with me on data-logging, and made me a KICK ASS CUSTOM TUNE!!!!
Im about to go to the next level of upgrades, and would ONLY USE/BUY from AAM. They are the best vendors I have ever dealt with.

Thanks Mike!! Have a friend who is going to build a "Monster" GTR... He is going to go with AAM rather than another shop..(I hope)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts