Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gojira driver
929 Posts
Your service threads/posts are always educational...and entertaining at the same time. Thanks Shawn!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
That's terrible.... You're right though, people hear "lifetime" and immediately think about how much money it could save them in fluid-changes/maintenance.

I wonder if the "lifetime" is calculated by the average amount of time the average person keeps a vehicle for. Or if there's some correlation to average vehicle mileage. (Obviously, that's still a ridiculous guideline, but I'd be curious to know.)

·
Registered
812 Posts
Isn't regular transmission fluid red or pink (standard cars) and green just for the GTR? If so that's been long overdue.

·
Registered
602 Posts
This is likely to be factory fill. So, 12-13 years. These levels are above "condemnation" levels for industry, leading blackstone to believe that it could be the original fill.

If it weren't, the likelihood that it would be behaving normally is almost zero, unless it had only been drain/filled once or twice. This unit holds a lot of fluid, and you can only get 3.5 quarts out at a time.

I will have to drain/ fill this unit four times before the fluid color will even begin to approach red. Hopefully, I will not "wash" out any contaminants that are holding essential pieces together. The conventional wisdom is when an auto has been abused, but is behaving normally, never use the."flush/fill" procedure some places do (requires tapping into the cooling lines, and frequently a special machine) This replaces old fluid with new 100%, all at once. A trans with bad seals or clutches that was behaving normally because of the shit fluid plugging the holes or being abrasive enough to hold the bands/planetaries/clutch plates with enough friction to continue to wok can be prompted to fail shortly after this procedure.

A slow percentage change to normal fluid will often give you enough misbehavior before completely failing to let you know to quit futzing around with the fluid. If you start to get rough shifting, or hesitation after your first drain/fill its a clue to quit and let it be until it dies. You may have several thousand miles to plan your strategy, or start buying STOP LEAK, if a leak develops rather than bad shifting.

One of the best old car trans fluids, MAX LiFe, can be purchased with a stop leak integrated into the fluid. It also contains seal swellers even in its regular formula to avoid this problem associated with new fluids in old trannies.

Shawn

P.S. I hope nobody minds me posting unrelated automatic transmission stuff in this forum, but I figure the people who even bother to read this subsection are a special group, and sharing is good. At least that's what my kindergarten teacher taught me.
So true! Was going to comment on that exact topic after reading the first post.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree on changing the fluid and why. Reminds me that I need to change the tranny fluid in my truck. It's a standard 5 speed NV4500 but 20 years old and used to be a forestry truck in WA state with 145,000 miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts