Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DISCLAIMER: This is not a sale thread, Prices have not been released so this is just info!

32118557941_0f3064a4f5_b.jpg

What to expect from the 2017 Tokyo Auto Salon? How about the new Volk Racing TE037 DURA.

This is Rays answer to the BBS FI-R and should stack up favorably. It has all the latest in their forged wheel technology and utilizes those funky holes in the spokes that the FI-R popularized.

Quick side track, Rays actually released a similar version of the TE37 a few years back at the Tokyo Auto Salon but it was not feasible in terms of price so they decided to go back and tweak it. Turns out BBS released the FI-R shortly there after so this will probably forever be known as the copy cat lol.

Here are a list of features you can expect:

• A7075 Forged Aluminum (most wheels use A6061 which is easier to work with but not as strong)
  • Still Flow Form Forged like all other Volk Racing Wheels
  • 300 grams of weight removed my the machining process (not sure if its per spoke or the entire wheel but I expect this to be one of the lightest wheels on the market)
  • Special Bright Dark Metallic Finish which is a cross between paint and anodization
  • Hub-centric size for the GT-R (20x10 +35 / 20x11 +15)
  • Center caps and air valves included

32199100366_eb66ec771b_b.jpg
32199100156_5589f36c9b_b.jpg

·
Registered
490 Posts
Ya, another year, another release of the Volk TE model! Is it me or are these things starting to become an annual iPhone release...not to mention each edition gets progressively more average looking!

Sent from my SM-N910K using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
I like the concave fitment of the previous designs WAY better! Plus, are they bringing back the "polished" look😂

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Nope doesn't come close to this !

Attachments

·
GTRLIFE Digital Arts
738 Posts
Koji Yamaguchi, Executive Officer of RAYS Sales Division, VOLK RACING Planning & Development Department Manager, reported that the material used is an aluminum alloy called A 7075 (JIS standard) ultra super duraluminum.
The strength of the wheel remains unchanged but the weight is reduced by 1kg compared to the TE37 ULTRA.
[Source: Response.jp]

1139117.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 kg to anyone who is curious is 2.2 lbs, which is a big difference. A7075 has more Zinc than A6061 (which is what most other forged wheels are made of) making it stronger overall but harder to work with.

Regardless of looks this wheel is impressive from an engineering standpoint.

Also in terms of looks, this more closely resembles the Volk Racing G2; which, when it was released, was intended to replace the TE37. The TE37 design in itself is not an ideal layout for optimizing rigidity and weight but since people love the looks so much Rays is somewhat stuck working with a design that has it's limitations. They have to get extremely creative in order to reduce weight and keep the 6-spoke look, which is probably why they started playing around with materials and other non-conventional weight reduction techniques.

Koji Yamaguchi, Executive Officer of RAYS Sales Division, VOLK RACING Planning & Development Department Manager, reported that the material used is an aluminum alloy called A 7075 (JIS standard) ultra super duraluminum.
The strength of the wheel remains unchanged but the weight is reduced by 1kg compared to the TE37 ULTRA.
[Source: Response.jp]

1139117.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Holy smokes... ~$2.5K per wheel... is it really worth it?
20x10 +35 5x114.3 - 66.1 Center Bore - MSRP: $2815

20x11 +15 5x114.3 - 66.1 Center Bore - MSRP: $2882

http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/01/rays-volk-racing-te037-dura/

Is it worth it? That's subjective, but the Japanese have a cultural norm that is not really applicable in the US. For them quality and having the best of the best means a lot, to the point where price is not a factor. I'm not sure how much lighter or stronger the TE037 DURA will be but I can guarantee that it'll be among the best wheels available for the GT-R (in terms of quality, weight, and strength). It's up to you whether or not you think it's worth it lol.

Personally I think it's worth it lol, this tech opens so many doors for future designs from them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.