Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
That is an awful lot of money. Nice car, but only for those with money burning a whole in their pocket.
The reality of any bare frame restoration is that it will be absurdly, ridiculously expensive. Especially if your goal is nut and bolt restoration. You could easily spend 100k USD here alone. Maybe up to 150k USD. Then add all the extra modifications on top of that. Look at an HKS, Nismo, or similar complete RB26 stroker build. 6.2M yen, the yen is weak right now but that would normally be ~60k USD. Mine's is likely charging a similar price these days. The exhaust is probably in the region of 5k retail. The dry carbon hood is ~5k USD, then 3.5k USD for the carbon rear wing, then probably another 5k USD for the dry carbon front bumper, 6k for the front fenders. Then add in all of the custom interior work like upholstery which is probably in the region of 10k or more, especially because of the custom fabric patterns used. The BBK alone is somewhere in the region of 6k at least. The strut tower bar alone is 1.2k. The wheels are something like 4k. None of that included the cost of the car either, which is probably market rate somewhere in the region of 80k. Then you have to factor in the value of your own time. How much time do you want to be spending flying out to Japan to be your own project manager? How much time do you want to spend trying to source a clean R32 GTR? How do you plan on arranging the logistics of getting this car and all of the pieces necessary to all these different contractors? The BBL team is pretty experienced and it still took them ~1.5-2 years despite having pre-existing working relationships with all of these vendors. These days places like Omori Factory are quoting 2-3 year waitlists just for a long block.

Is it possible to do something similar for a lot less money? Absolutely. It's just a question of how far you want to take things. The last 20% in polish/attention to detail that this car has is what is going to cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars. If your goal is to just get close enough you could get very close for a third of the money. You need to be prepared to be your own project manager though.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The reality of any bare frame restoration is that it will be absurdly, ridiculously expensive. Especially if your goal is nut and bolt restoration. You could easily spend 100k USD here alone. Maybe up to 150k USD. Then add all the extra modifications on top of that. Look at an HKS, Nismo, or similar complete RB26 stroker build. 6.2M yen, the yen is weak right now but that would normally be ~60k USD. Mine's is likely charging a similar price these days. The exhaust is probably in the region of 5k retail. The dry carbon hood is ~5k USD, then 3.5k USD for the carbon rear wing, then probably another 5k USD for the dry carbon front bumper, 6k for the front fenders. Then add in all of the custom interior work like upholstery which is probably in the region of 10k or more, especially because of the custom fabric patterns used. The BBK alone is somewhere in the region of 6k at least. The strut tower bar alone is 1.2k. The wheels are something like 4k. None of that included the cost of the car either, which is probably market rate somewhere in the region of 80k. Then you have to factor in the value of your own time. How much time do you want to be spending flying out to Japan to be your own project manager? How much time do you want to spend trying to source a clean R32 GTR? How do you plan on arranging the logistics of getting this car and all of the pieces necessary to all these different contractors? The BBL team is pretty experienced and it still took them ~1.5-2 years despite having pre-existing working relationships with all of these vendors. These days places like Omori Factory are quoting 2-3 year waitlists just for a long block.

Is it possible to do something similar for a lot less money? Absolutely. It's just a question of how far you want to take things. The last 20% in polish/attention to detail that this car has is what is going to cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars. If your goal is to just get close enough you could get very close for a third of the money. You need to be prepared to be your own project manager though.
I understand the costs involved and the attention to detail on a build like this. My only point is that you have to have money to burn to afford something like this or such a passion and deep pocket to afford it. I would have one in my garage, but for the cost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts