Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone doing these days to help cool brakes these days on cars that they track regularly? The Porsche air deflectors seem like a viable option, but I was thinking of modifying an N-Tune splitter to push air into tubes that attach to the backing play of the rotors. Perhaps replacing or modifying bumper so that it has air inlets higher up pushing air into tubes.

Ideas for the rear brakes?

My car is not a show car so I don't really care about show car looks. Functional is more important but I do like ideas that still look good or close to stock.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have the lines, rotors, and pads upgraded. I put on the gt3 plastic scoops on the sway bars and have a n-tune front lip. The duct on the n-tune is really small but the ducts poke below the undertray. So far I would say a 30% improvement in braking fade résistance and a 20% increase in bite...

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have the lines, rotors, and pads upgraded. I put on the gt3 plastic scoops on the sway bars and have a n-tune front lip. The duct on the n-tune is really small but the ducts poke below the undertray. So far I would say a 30% improvement in braking fade résistance and a 20% increase in bite...
how to do put them on ? if you can take a pic?
thx!

·
Registered
10,361 Posts

I was always a fan of these :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Decided to finally install these this weekend.

Some tips:
1) use knives, scissors, pliers to cut off all extra tabs/clips on back of ducts. NOTE: I realized after the first one that keeping one of the tabs closest to the Rotor helps with securing to sway bar. (See below)
2) drill holes just above each cut area where the plastic is thicker, this can help with keeping the holes rigid.
3) apply the L duct to the L side of your car, R duct to R (no offense to JohnnyTSi, I think his are backwards)

See pictures for reference (sorry if there are repeats)
Pneumatic tool Automotive tire Handheld power drill Tire Automotive lighting
Water Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Hood
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Bumper Motor vehicle
KEEP THESE For added stability
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Tread
Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design
Pneumatic tool Automotive tire Handheld power drill Tire Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Bumper Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Hood

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Tread

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Rim

Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Water Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread

Attachments

·
Alberta Oil & Gas
6,121 Posts
Those are pretty cool.
Where did you source those?

·
Registered
171 Posts
UPDATE

Just got back from the track with my setup, two notes:
1) after high heat, the zip ties began to stretch, the ducts began to sag. I'm going to have to upgrade to hose clamps like this guy:

2) as I mentioned above, it is better to NOT cut the ridgid plastic edges closest to the "L" or " R" markings on each duct. Sure enough, the duct that sagged the most was the one where I cut off everything.

Hose clamps it is then.... Although at this point, I may just fork up the extra $ for the more official looking CF ones:

It just bothers me that I honestly believe the design, shape, position and material of the Porsche versions is better than the "official" one. The Porsche versions scoops deeper to the ground and seems to channel air more directly. IDK, not an engineer...

Anyone with a 3d printer wanna do some CAD and make it happen? 😉

·
Super Moderator
9,222 Posts
UPDATE

Just got back from the track with my setup, two notes:
1) after high heat, the zip ties began to stretch, the ducts began to sag. I'm going to have to upgrade to hose clamps like this guy:

2) as I mentioned above, it is better to NOT cut the ridgid plastic edges closest to the "L" or " R" markings on each duct. Sure enough, the duct that sagged the most was the one where I cut off everything.

Hose clamps it is then.... Although at this point, I may just fork up the extra $ for the more official looking CF ones:

It just bothers me that I honestly believe the design, shape, position and material of the Porsche versions is better than the "official" one. The Porsche versions scoops deeper to the ground and seems to channel air more directly. IDK, not an engineer...

Anyone with a 3d printer wanna do some CAD and make it happen? 😉
I've been running these Porsche ducts for years and haven't experienced that with the zip ties but at the same time your scenario could be way hotter than what my car has seen. You could try the metal zip ties.

The opening the air shoots into is quite small so I don't think the scoops work as well as direct cooling to the center of the rotor...........so i am testing out this.....

·
Super Moderator
9,222 Posts
This deflects the air into the center of the rotor so then air flows through the veins of the rotor. A member of the community made that piece for me years ago and I finally finished the set up this weekend. It does involve modifying the heat shield and riveting into place.

Automotive tire Finger Wood Rim Gas

I used the Porsche air scoop to mount the air duct. It hangs down at the same level as the Porsche ducts which have survived for a few years now.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive wheel system Gas

And if it does get smashed, the air duct is only $20!
Hand Shoe Automotive tire Hood Road surface

I ran a leaf blower on the front of the car and I can definitely feel the air hitting the rotor, so I took the car out for some high speed runs. Hit 220km/hr and so far has held up.

I'm going to compare the temp difference with an Infrared heat gun to get some real data. But by touch of the hand, one side was “hot” and the other was “holy fuck that’s hot!” 😂

Ideally I would like to design it so I can mount it from the sway bar without the Porsche air scoops...... So at some point I may find someone that can scan what I done and manipulate the scan to maximize air collection, reduce the height and to add mounting points so they can be mounted directly to the sway bar.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That looks pretty great, I guess similar to this:

I vaguely remember somebody working to create an aluminum bolt-on funnel for the same purpose. I just wish there was something more widely available. I guess Stillen has a kit too, but not very effective.

·
Super Moderator
9,222 Posts
That looks pretty great, I guess similar to this:

I vaguely remember somebody working to create an aluminum bolt-on funnel for the same purpose. I just wish there was something more widely available. I guess Stillen has a kit too, but not very effective.
That's who made those pieces for me!! I routed the hose slightly differently and used a different vacuum attachment.

Thank you for the link, I will use that when doing the other side lol.

·
Super Moderator
9,222 Posts
Here are some additional pics from under the car.

This pic shows it does not hang any lower than the Porsche air guides. Also make sure to rotate the SS clamp so it can not rub against the screw. For more clearance for full wheel lockout, the hose has been ovalled right after the SS Clamp and zip tied tighter to the Porsche air guide so it stays tucked in to the wheel liner side.
Tire Wheel Shoe Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Light

·
Super Moderator
9,222 Posts
Here are some pics from a Facebook Page (Dangerous Enterprises Racing). Very creative ideas for the rear cooling.
Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Plumbing Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

Netbook Wood Rectangle Bumper Bag

Bumper Automotive design Wood Hood Rectangle

Tire Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Wheel Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire

Bicycle saddle Automotive design Bicycle part Automotive exterior Rim

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Audio equipment

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Cookware and bakeware Personal protective equipment Auto part

1 - 20 of 30 Posts