Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about going to the track, @ spring mountain in Nevada. I guess there is a few things you can do. Either do a private training with an instructor, go to a rented out event, or get a membership. As of right now getting the membership is out of the question. I don't think I will track that much. For someone that has never been to the track, do you think going to these rented out events with someone that has been or maybe a member on here, would be smart? Or just take the private lesson with the instructor. Going with an instructor is about 3x the cost, over the rented track days. My other question is, what should I prepare myself for, I have a stock 2012. Do I need to bring anything or is it just bring your car and have fun.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Take the private lesson with the instructor, it's well worth the money, especially if you've never tracked or had any instruction before.

You don't need to bring much. Torque wrench if you please, tire pressure gauge (although you could just use the MFD), a quart of oil just in case and lots of water for yourself.

Always leave traction control on.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
There are quite a few motorsport groups who rent out events for track days that provide instructors free of charge. In fact many of these organizations will make you ride with an instructor before getting passed off. this is a great way to get the experience and instruction without having to pay for private lessons. If you have the disposabile income, then by all means go for the private training.

18,309 Posts
Not sure where you're located, but you might want to consider coming to some NASA AZ events. I know a couple people from the Vegas area come down for AZ events because they feel that they're better than what NASA puts on in their area.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Take the private lesson with the instructor, it's well worth the money, especially if you've never tracked or had any instruction before.

You don't need to bring much. Torque wrench if you please, tire pressure gauge (although you could just use the MFD), a quart of oil just in case and lots of water for yourself.

Always leave traction control on.

Have fun!
Agree with all the above, and run in RRR. But you'll need a helmet too! Also best are long-sleeved shirt, long pants, and closed shoes.

I ran Spring Mountain once (3.1 mile config) and it was a blast. I've only done about 20 track days, but definitely plan to do more in the future. I'm not a member at Spring Mountain, but ran the track with Speed Ventures. www.speedventures.com They run a very well organized track event, with instructors for beginners and up.

If you like, here is a link to an in-car video lap at Spring Mountain, the 3.1 mile configuration. There are plenty of places I could knock off more time, but this was my first and only time at that track.

First and foremost, be safe and have fun!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are quite a few motorsport groups who rent out events for track days that provide instructors free of charge. In fact many of these organizations will make you ride with an instructor before getting passed off. this is a great way to get the experience and instruction without having to pay for private lessons. If you have the disposabile income, then by all means go for the private training.
This is more of what I was look for. Whats the best way in finding these motorsport groups.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
First time?

A helmet and a full tank...

Have fun!

·
Happy in Hermosa
1,534 Posts
Spring Mountain is a wonderful track. Give them a call and ask about outside groups coming in. Get the contact info and away you go.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would definitely second the suggestion of going out for the first time with some regional Motorsport groups who put on HPDE's for all levels of drivers. As Ryan mentioned, most provide instructors for little or no charge and they are generally very helpful and more than adequate to get started. That's how I started a little over 3 years ago and I've had some great instructors, made a lot of new friends and learned to drive my car better, both on and off the track. Plus the "grin" factor when you leave the track each time is worth much more than you'll ever pay!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.