Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
European need. Likely will not be seen in U.S.

Just like the 1 series hatchback (which I probably would have bought one if I could afford it at the time).

BMW responds to what that market NEEDS, not what it thinks is a good car, or what really does it for their engineers.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
European need. Likely will not be seen in U.S.

Just like the 1 series hatchback (which I probably would have bought one if I could afford it at the time).

BMW responds to what that market NEEDS, not what it thinks is a good car, or what really does it for their engineers.

Shawn
If they thought the market needed the 5 series GT, someone high up the BMW food chain needs to be fired! lol
Bish

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
BMW is sadly going the wrong way. They are putting the M badge on every model possible to attract buyers. Now they have put electric steering in the new 3 series sedan. I had a chance to drive one at a customer event and Im sadly disappointed. Now FWD? What will make BMW any different from VW. The sad part is the new F30 didnt feel any better than the new VW Passat. This is coming from a 6 time BMW owner. You have to be kidding me BMW

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
If they thought the market needed the 5 series GT, someone high up the BMW food chain needs to be fired! lol
Bish
I know, but the Europeans have very different needs for vehicles. They are often limited to one vehicle, and it must go in the snow. RWD 1 series didn't do well, compared to Golf and Civic.

For God's sake, FIAT made a FWD convertible roadster. It's just a very different market. FWD premium hatchbacks have a HUGE market there. They, of course, don't have much understanding of our need for pickups or overwhelming number of SUV's that never leave pavement.

Just a different place.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I know, but the Europeans have very different needs for vehicles. They are often limited to one vehicle, and it must go in the snow. RWD 1 series didn't do well, compared to Golf and Civic.

For God's sake, FIAT made a FWD convertible roadster. It's just a very different market. FWD premium hatchbacks have a HUGE market there. They, of course, don't have much understanding of our need for pickups or overwhelming number of SUV's that never leave pavement.

Just a different place.

Shawn
I'm actually from the UK Shawn, so know well the European love of small 'hot' hatchbacks. I personally love them also, and wish the US would import more.. I may be wrong, but I think the 1 series, rear wheel drive and all, sells well in the UK. At least I've seen loads of them on my oft return visits home. As for the 5 series: it was derided by the European press, and I believe it sells abysmally. My son and I first saw it at the Goodwood FOS, and frankly everyone looking at it wasjust shaking their head wondering what the hell BMW we're thinking.
I have to agree with what others have said above: as an owner of four previous BMWs of which three were true 'M' cars, I fear they are completely diluting the brand, and in fact ruining it. One reason I'm driving Audi lately.
Bish

·
Registered
198 Posts
If Porsche never built an SUV they wouldn't have the cash to develop all the awesome vehicles they are developing today.

Let's be real, most BMW buyers don't even know if it's FWD or RWD, they buy up the base model 3 series as a status symbol. BMW won't give up on their M division, if anything, if BMW has extra money they might commission a fully independent M vehicle ala SLS AMG.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
" if BMW has extra money they might commission a fully independent M vehicle ala SLS AMG"
Absolutely not. They're a business and they refuse to lose money. Bmw doesnt do anything with about half its concepts. They just are that. Concepts in a design studio. Dont hold out for a BMW super car. I will stand by it and say it will never happen in my lifetime. A good 100k+ members on bimmerpost would also agree.

But you are definitely right on the 3 series. Most people that buy the 3 series just buy it for the class it falls in.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Building a super car does not have to be a money losing proposition. It's a game of incremental revenue and if the numbers make sense, BMW might do it. All they've said is that right now they want to focus on their strengths which are executive sedans and not super cars.

I agree it's unlikely in the foreseeable future, but I can see moves such as producing high volume FWD cars as paving the way for other experimentation.

·
Stop the persecution of Falun Gong
224 Posts
If the market needs it the market needs it. BMW is pretty smart as far as how they do business.

That being said I think that car looks retarded.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Building a super car does not have to be a money losing proposition. It's a game of incremental revenue and if the numbers make sense, BMW might do it. All they've said is that right now they want to focus on their strengths which are executive sedans and not super cars.

I agree it's unlikely in the foreseeable future, but I can see moves such as producing high volume FWD cars as paving the way for other experimentation.
+1. Nothing more than a given demographic. If enough of a market exists, somebody will fill it (barring gov't restrictions).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts