Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I have a quick question. I am looking for a deeper, throatier exhaust note. I crossed over from corvette land and have gotten a bit used to the loader, deeper exhasut note. I understand i am comparing apples to oranges here but I am just looking for something a bit deeper in sound. I have 09 with some mods.

Harman Motive CAI
HKS Superior SpecR Full Exhaust
CBRD Y-pipe

I don't mind swaping any or all of this out to get the desired effect I am looking for, but I would just like some suggestions on what I should be looking for. I do plan to also purchasing AMS downpipes. The current set up has more of a high pitched whine which the previous owner liked. He was more into the F1 sound.

Thanks for the help!

·
R36 Member
796 Posts
Deeper exhaust notes generally come from Stainless Steel exhausts -- you may need to sacrifice some weight. There are two that come to the top of my head:

1. Meisterschaft -
2. Password JDM -

Hopefully that helps out!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Once you put on AMS downpipes, it will get louder. But if you still want more, Then Meisterschaft cat back will get you loud and rumbling similar to the corvette. Drone will be more prevalant too though.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've had the alpha 6 on my gtr since Dec and just realized how loud it is today with the windows down. I think its possibly louder than my fi full exhaust c5 was. There is some drone but nothing like the vette was and now I can hear the turbos spooling all the way through the tach.

AMS catless down,mid, with HKS tig exhaust. Chris black tuned

·
Registered
488 Posts
Does SS sound more throatier than titanium?
From my experience.... And my car is 2nd vid with the Password exhaust on it which is basically straight thru like the meisterchaft. I had catless downpipes, non-resonated mid and the Password which has no mufflers like the Meisterchaft. It was VERY LOUD and had a VERY DEEP tone to it on the lower rev's but up higher up in the rev's it gets VERY raspy/pitchy...

I have now since changed my catback to an Akrapovic slip-on! It has a VERY different sound... It's a very mellow, non-violent sound which is VERY un-like the Password which was an in your face kind of loud! And from my experience with titanium exhausts the Akrapovic that I have right now does NOT sound like your typical titanium exhaust (raspy/pitchy)

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Expensive though is it not? Akrapovic is an acquired price yes> but it is good base on the reactions by those who have bought them. Notice any increase in response with this type of exhaust?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have full akrapovic evo system...yes you will have much better mid range response and it sounds amazingly nice...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all the suggestions! It seems my best option at this point is to wait till after i install the downs and listen to it again. Then I will know the exact difference. My vette did have a lot of drone inside. It was almost difficult to even hold a conversation. I suppose if need be i could do a dyno mat to help out. I really used to love that sound, especially under an over pass!! Maybe I can get lucky and find someone that would like to do a swap...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got an AAM race catback for sale that is VERY throaty
I may be in touch with you about an item or two you have. I am considering doing a bit of modding, but I am researching the best items to get right now. I already have the above items installed but was considering doing the downpipes, larger cooler, suction pipe, maybe fuel system. I am not sure what all would be involved at this time. There are a number of used items here that have peaked interest, but again I am not sure what all I would need yet. My goal is for around 600 whp. I may just say screw it and do a boostlogic turbo upgrade also, but I need to find out if I should do the above upgrades first/also.

I just got orders to go to Korea last week for a year, so I have a few options I am going over and time to research a good build and maybe some good deals on what i need to do.

·
Seems Legit
2,476 Posts
The Password JDM sounds amazing. A little loud but just sounds intimidating.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Keep the HKS exhaust, replace the resonated CBRD pipe with a non-resonated midpipe and you should see some "improvement" in the sound.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Keep the HKS exhaust, replace the resonated CBRD pipe with a non-resonated midpipe and you should see some "improvement" in the sound.
I was wondering this also, No one had said anything yet, so i thought it might be ok. any reccomendations on that? I know it won't make a difference on sound, but are the current intakes on the car decent or is there a bit better system out there? I figured if I am going to be modding and probably upgrading I might as well look into everything.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I was wondering this also, No one had said anything yet, so i thought it might be ok. any reccomendations on that? I know it won't make a difference on sound, but are the current intakes on the car decent or is there a bit better system out there? I figured if I am going to be modding and probably upgrading I might as well look into everything.
HM designed one of the first intakes for the GT-R and it was used on the Cobb race car for awhile. A lot of people have them and are really satisfied. If you don't intend on going cray with the upgrades, you should be fine with them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts