Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Porsche 991: More rewarding, but slower, by almost 3 seconds, which is an eternity on a 1:20 lap.

Never understood why Tiff spends so much time drifting cars. All show, no go, burning up tires for no good reason. I enjoyed more the video with him and Jason Plato and the GT-R around the track.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hmm, manual 991 vs GTR, not the most natural bedfellows, eventhough, me thinks that the 991 CarreraS is still more expensive than the GTR. The GTR's laptime is in MP4-12c/458 territory on that track, if I remember correctly (and if it matters). In this context, I find it interesting that Tiff elected to use R, R, OFF rather than R,R,R. Also interesting that in the recent comparo around the new 911, EVO magazine had placed the GTR above the 911 and remarked "this sounds like a 911 and looks like a 911 but it doesn't drive like a 911. This wouldn't be a problem in itself as the 991 is very, very good. But - and it's a massive but - it also feels rather aloof and cold. (...) the supremely thrilling Nissan beats the Porsche too (...)". No mention of the 991's new electronic steering by Tiff either...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
drifting because hes just warming the tires up for the hot lap

Seeing the C2 manual makes me miss the manual so much..toe heel etc.. it is just so much more involving.. these days its just too easy too comfortable with F1/SMG/DSG/DCT etc..

·
Registered
809 Posts
drifting because hes just warming the tires up for the hot lap

Seeing the C2 manual makes me miss the manual so much..toe heel etc.. it is just so much more involving.. these days its just too easy too comfortable with F1/SMG/DSG/DCT etc..
That is why driving my 1951 DeSoto is fun. It has a fluid drive, so just keeping up with traffic and steering it down the road is a real challenge, not to forget it has manual steering and brakes! If you want involvement, get a DeSoto. Innovation and technology is a good thing.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Hmm, manual 991 vs GTR, not the most natural bedfellows, eventhough, me thinks that the 991 CarreraS is still more expensive than the GTR. The GTR's laptime is in MP4-12c/458 territory on that track, if I remember correctly (and if it matters). In this context, I find it interesting that Tiff elected to use R, R, OFF rather than R,R,R. Also interesting that in the recent comparo around the new 911, EVO magazine had placed the GTR above the 911 and remarked "this sounds like a 911 and looks like a 911 but it doesn't drive like a 911. This wouldn't be a problem in itself as the 991 is very, very good. But - and it's a massive but - it also feels rather aloof and cold. (...) the supremely thrilling Nissan beats the Porsche too (...)". No mention of the 991's new electronic steering by Tiff either...
I've heard similar quotes from different sources now about the 991. Most agree its a great car, but it has lost the element or feel that made the car a 911. Regardless, I find it ironic (or maybe expected) that the once "soulless" and "digital" car is now the "supremely thrilling" one. The roles were reversed when the GT-R appeared on the scene. It's all just journalistic rhetoric to embellish whatever is new or the writers like at the moment.

·
Registered
463 Posts
link does not work looks like they took it down?

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
I've heard similar quotes from different sources now about the 991. Most agree its a great car, but it has lost the element or feel that made the car a 911. Regardless, I find it ironic (or maybe expected) that the once "soulless" and "digital" car is now the "supremely thrilling" one. The roles were reversed when the GT-R appeared on the scene. It's all just journalistic rhetoric to embellish whatever is new or the writers like at the moment.
+1.

Coincidentally, I'm having a very similar discussion on 6speed at this very moment, and used a similar perspective.

·
Happy in Hermosa
1,534 Posts
Wouldn't a 4S w/PDK be a better match-up?

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
dct is the future ... in time only coach builders will be using a manual. dct is faster. cars are changing and technology evolving if it gets worse manufactures will try what they can to make it better for the sake of sales but the few purests out there won't change the mass.

also think the gtr can be faster. im not a pro driver but reviewing the video of both cars i can see some corrections that could make a difference if he went around a few more times in each. also almost 3 sec on different tracks could be huge... will the turbo s be 3-4sec faster or 1-2 sec faster? also will depend on the trans used aswell.

i like tiff but i think he has a bit of fairy to him (no offense to anyone)... it confuses me about him. he is defiantly a very good reviewer and an awesome driver.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
dct is the future ... in time only coach builders will be using a manual. dct is faster. cars are changing and technology evolving if it gets worse manufactures will try what they can to make it better for the sake of sales but the few purests out there won't change the mass.
agree... there were a lot of people who preferred carbs over fuel injection, too. How many carbed cars can you buy now? The better technology will win eventually because, simply, it is better. Some people like the feel and interaction of a MT, but those people are a dying breed. Each year more and more people are beginning to drive and fewer and fewer of them ever bother to learn how to drive a MT because it is inconvenient, hard, inefficient, whatever.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
That is why driving my 1951 DeSoto is fun. It has a fluid drive, so just keeping up with traffic and steering it down the road is a real challenge, not to forget it has manual steering and brakes! If you want involvement, get a DeSoto. Innovation and technology is a good thing.
I'm think wooden spoked wheels on my GTR might make it more ....... "involving"

·
Registered
422 Posts
Tiff Needell is a talented guy and makes good videos, but he loves 911s and he should say that. So in this case, of course he will prefer the 991, that's not surprising. Look at his previous videos with Porsche vs anything an he always chooses the Porsche. Cool video, though. With traction control in R mode the GTR would have been even faster.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.