Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the stock all-seasons, so any option pretty much is an upgrade. I'm trying to decide between:

- Stock Dunlops
- PSS in stock sizes
- Nitto NT05 in larger sizes (275 f and 315 r on stock wheels)

The stock tires are pretty worn and I'm having a lot of slip in 1st, 2nd, and at the 1-2 upshift under hard acceleration. I'm hoping that will go away with any of the above options. I'd prefer to get away from the runflats and I'm tempted to go with the Nittos, although it does rain a lot here and I've heard they aren't the best in the rain. Plus they are not stock sizes so there might be some speedo error.

Are the PSSs the best option out there?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Can't vouch for the Nittos - but have had the PSS' since last summer - great tire for road and track. Much better ride, quieter than the Dunlop OEMs - very sticky (not quite as much grip overall as the Dunlops, but the difference isn't noticeable on the street, but a little on the track. I recommend the Michelins.

·
Registered
601 Posts
PSS are much softer ride, quieter as well especially on local roads. Traction in the rain is always noticeably better than stock Bridgestone. I never rode with the Dunlop so I can't comment on those, though from what I heard the Dunlops ride harder and more noisy than the Bridgestones.

PSS do need higher pressure since they are not run flats, which results in slightly more bouncy ride.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I'd go with the PSS. NT05s didn't grip as well when I had them but they were perfectly fine for the street.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm surprised with the responses about the grip levels. I would have expected NT05 > PSS > Dunlop, but it sounds like it's Dunlop > PSS > NT05. I was under the impression that the NT05s were a softer compound, and I never would have thought the stock Dunlops would be better than the PSS.

As far as ride/noise, it looks like PSS > NT05 > Dunlop. No surprise there.

Handling is the question mark. I expect that the NT05s would be have softer sidewalls, especially with the larger diameter, but thought that they would make up for it by being wider. Plus 20 mm front and 30 mm rear is a big difference. It sounds like the PSS isn't substantially better than the stock Dunlops, but people still prefer them.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
What about the R888's? Everyone seems to love those.

Hands down PSS. Yes they are the best option.

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance
Michael, what are you basing this off of? Do you have the PSS on your car? I saw your ad for your ADV's and it looks like you put the 21" special Conti's on (I've seen how much they are and it's crazy how cheap they go for), those any good?

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I have a lot of track friends that love the PSS. Also, my tire supplier has a ton of track customers who also like PSS. I would never take my 21s to the track that's why I'm running the Conti's. The Conti's are not bad especially for the price I paid.

R888 good track tire could never run it on the street because they are too loud.

Michael, what are you basing this off of? Do you have the PSS on your car? I saw your ad for your ADV's and it looks like you put the 21" special Conti's on (I've seen how much they are and it's crazy how cheap they go for), those any good?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I have a lot of track friends that love the PSS. Also, my tire supplier has a ton of track customers who also like PSS. I would never take my 21s to the track that's why I'm running the Conti's. The Conti's are not bad especially for the price I paid.

R888 good track tire could never run it on the street because they are too loud.
Michael, I'm pretty sure I know those track friends, lol. You just showed up on WWC on Facebook a couple weeks ago. They run the PSS on M3's, etc. and a lot have changed out to other tires (including the R888) as well. For the GT-R, it's relatively different, I'd rather get opinions from people that have used them on their GT-R.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Well I apologize if you think I'm a n00b. I'll refrain from commenting further until I'm more experienced.
BTW, I could not care less if people went PSS, R888, or Hankooks. MarkG wanted opinions and I'm giving it. But to understand what you're saying, M3s might find PSS superior to other tires but on a GTR you're thinking that the performance would be wildly different?

It's tire compound come on, there might be slightly different results but at the end of the day, if it's good on one car, it'll perform on another. Or am I missing something?

Michael

Michael, I'm pretty sure I know those track friends, lol. You just showed up on WWC on Facebook a couple weeks ago. They run the PSS on M3's, etc. and a lot have changed out to other tires (including the R888) as well. For the GT-R, it's relatively different, I'd rather get opinions from people that have used them on their GT-R.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Well I apologize if you think I'm a n00b. I'll refrain from commenting further until I'm more experienced.
BTW, I could not care less if people went PSS, R888, or Hankooks. MarkG wanted opinions and I'm giving it. But to understand what you're saying, M3s might find PSS superior to other tires but on a GTR you're thinking that the performance would be wildly different?

It's tire compound come on, there might be slightly different results but at the end of the day, if it's good on one car, it'll perform on another. Or am I missing something?

Michael
I'm not saying you're a n00b and I'm not telling you to refrain from commenting, but when we see the giant Acute Performance banner, some of your comments definitely look like advertising, especially if it's not based on your own experience.

Tires vary from car to car. M3's don't run runflats as OEM tires and they're RWD and don't have as much weight. There's a reason for different tire weight ratings, etc. One tire may perform phenomenally on an M3 but not as well on a heavy GT-R.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
You haven't read my other posts then huh? I'm not your typical vendor that doesn't contribute to forums. I actually care about what I recommend and want to make sure customers spend money where it makes sense.

On a side note, there is more margin on R888 than PSS so I'd actually prefer folks buy R888, but if you want a tire that can be used as street rubber, the R888s aren't going to be for you.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
You haven't read my other posts then huh? I'm not your typical vendor that doesn't contribute to forums. I actually care about what I recommend and want to make sure customers spend money where it makes sense.

On a side note, there is more margin on R888 than PSS so I'd actually prefer folks buy R888, but if you want a tire that can be used as street rubber, the R888s aren't going to be for you.
I have read your other posts and I appreciate how you're trying to contribute. I'm glad you care what you recommend, but please make those recommendations with more information. People expect that since you have a GT-R as well, that you have used them and that you can speak from your own use.

R888's not good for the street? I actually know a lot of So. Cal. GT-R owners who use R888's on the street.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Yeah but would you recommend R888 to someone where it rains a lot like Seattle? Would you say the typical GTR owner wouldn't mind the noise of the R888 and the low treadwear rating? Look, the poster was looking for feedback and I said PSS hands down are the best tire out of the bunch he listed. Did you see where he said, "although it does rain a lot here and I've heard."

Would you really suggest r-compound tires to someone where it rains a lot? Anyways, I'm done bickering. I did what I did and I still stand by what I said.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Yeah but would you recommend R888 to someone where it rains a lot like Seattle? Would you say the typical GTR owner wouldn't mind the noise of the R888 and the low treadwear rating? Look, the poster was looking for feedback and I said PSS hands down are the best tire out of the bunch he listed. Did you see where he said, "although it does rain a lot here and I've heard."

Would you really suggest r-compound tires to someone where it rains a lot? Anyways, I'm done bickering. I did what I did and I still stand by what I said.
thanks.

I was simply trying to get feedback on how the PSS are better than the stock Dunlops and wanted some more actual user input. My apologies if you thought I was attacking you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm the one who feels like a n00b right now, and an idiot. I just checked in the garage, and I had the Bridgestone R070s as my stock OEM tire, NOT the Dunlop all seasons that came on the cold-weather pkg cars. So my comments on (slightly) less grip on the track for the Michelins were compared to the Bridgestones. Sorry about that.

These are the only two brands of tires (not counting the snow tires currently on the car) I've had on it. The reason for the grip being a smidge lower is tread wear rating; the softness of the tire. The RFT Potenzas are 140, the Michelin PSS are 300, or roughly double. This means the Michelins will last longer (already seeing that), but sacrifice some total grip. Again, not really noticeable in real world driving: on ramps, windy Colorado roads, etc. the PSS' stick great. And as another post said, a very good rain tire - sick amounts of grip in the wet, way more than the Bridgestones (which weren't too shabby in the rain).

I ran track days in successive months last summer on each set of tires, same track, basically same conditions. R070s one month, PSS the next, same wheels, etc. that's where I get the grip comparison I'm mentioning.

Still feel stupid for the Dunlop thing, I'd put a "Doh!" emoticon here, but doesn't look like that's an option with the mobile version of the site. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I have the PSS in 285/35 square now. I ran them at the track over the weekend. Great performance imo near equal to the Dunlop summers..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.