Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys tip your service advisor when you bring the GTR in for service? I plan to take my car in for an oil and filter service and was curious if tipping was customary? I do have possible plans to put a tune and exhaust on the car, so any favoritism if warranty work is required in the future wouldn't hurt.

So, do you guys tip your SA?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Never heard of this practice. You paid enough for the car that superb service should be expected. I am not sure why the SA needs additional reward to do his job.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have tipped the technician on several occasions, but not the service adviser (who doesn't really seem to know much about the car). I believe my gratuity to the tech has helped me out on several occasions (most recently he hooked his computer and we went for a drive making clutch adjustments on-the-fly to my liking -- not prompted by me, by the way).

jcg

·
Founder/Admin
26,252 Posts
i tip my tech all the time.... but its for things he doesnt right up

like he pulled my door and fixed my weather strip from the tint screw up and i tipped him like $20

my other tech i have him liek $60 once to take the aftermarket exhaust off...as all i had written in was an oil change

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I will now keep the money for lunch instead.

I used to tip the SA at my local BMW dealer when i had an m5, since they helped with marginal warranty coverage at times. However, that car had so many issues (SMG and vanos) that I should have been compensated for my lost time taking the car in all the time.

Is the SA the person I should start asking about my basic mods considered to hopefully get his assurance that they will honor warranty claims?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Despite the bad experiences many people on the forums have had with dealers, my dealership has been great. I take care of my service advisor and throw him some money every time I take the car in. I do this at every dealer and it really pays off to have them on your side when your modded,

·
Super Moderator
3,591 Posts
Despite the bad experiences many people on the forums have had with dealers, my dealership has been great. I take care of my service advisor and throw him some money every time I take the car in. I do this at every dealer and it really pays off to have them on your side when your modded,
There is a variation on this: Some people are offended by the idea of receiving cash. Get a bottle of good Champagne (in a box) and hand it over as your thanks. Since the S.A. can share this with others, according to his/her discretion, the "tip" is more acceptable.

Alexd

·
Alpha 10
3,763 Posts
i tip my tech all the time.... but its for things he doesnt right up

liek he pulled my door and fixed my weather strip from the tint screw up and i tipped him like $20

my other tech i have him liek $60 once to take the aftermarket exhaust off...as all i had written in was an oil change
I agree with MC. When I had my IS-F the lexus tech was a good friend of mine and he would always put my car on the lift and check for problems or swap the exhaust and what not free of charge, I would just pay him cause if he wrote it up that money wouldn't go to him either way...So he I just tipped him outside of the work.

I mean its all on you whether you want to tip, if you tip they probably will remember you next time when you have something small he may squeeze you in before others because the service advisors usually are close with the techs, you may never know.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Do chicken McNuggets count as a tip??? LOL!

Seriously though...don't ever feel the need to tip your SA or Technician. If the dealership's main focus is to provide Great Customer Service...they should already be going out of their way to take care of ya! Just coming in to visit with a smile a great attitude is all the thanks we could ever ask for!

Our GT-R customers are some of the nicest customers we have!

Scott VanderHeide
Motorsports Director
Fontana Nissan
800-989-6173 x2253

·
I like turtles!
180 Posts
I'm curious how you guys interface with the techs who actually work on the car? For other cars that I have, I've never gotten to meet the actual person who works on the car, just the service adviser.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
It really depends on the techs and whatever policy the dealership has on this. Techs are just that...techs. They are knowledgeable about the cars...but not all of them are people persons! Some techs don't want to talk to customers and some dealerships don't want their techs to do so either...that's why they have service advisors as the liason between the two!

In our case, Chris Heimburg (Master Technician) likes to come out and talk to the customers...a very good reason why we have MANY return customers that ask for him by name. If you ask my opinion, I wish more techs would do the same. But also...there are lots a techs that shouldn't go anywhere near the customer...they do awesome work...but lack verbal filters! LOL!

Scott

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
They are already making money off of you, its called commission ;)

If its a single garage mechanic like in the old days who did the work himself and I think under charged me, then yes I will tip.

As a tip, I was talking to my Service Advisor who has always been extremely knowledgeable about the GT-R and always took the best care of me. Come to find out, hes never even been for a ride in a GT-R. I threw him the keys and I rode passenger. He was stoked. I think the pictures of him driving it are on facebook now hahaha.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Are you guys CRAZY? Of course tip! However, make your appointment with, and grease, the SERVICE MANAGER.-not the writer... Thats who will have to use his discretion in terms of warranty svc. Thats who you should have a relationship with.. He should know what mods you have as well.

·
Caretaker of GODZIRA!
2,679 Posts
At Xmas time, I get my service mgr, (the only guy I deal with), and my tech, a nice gift card for a selection of commonly used restaurants, but every time, no.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Service advisors earn commission for the tickets they close. Ergo that early afternoon phone call "suggesting" this that or the other. The tech scrambles to make more than straight time on his pay check. His best chance is to have 12-18 hours of book time in an 8hr day. If the tech is doing great work on your car, tip him. It will come back to you on future visits. Don't blow your money on the advisor, his goal is always going to be upselling.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I have a good relationship with my Service Manager, Assistant Service Manager, and GT-R tech. Like Scott said above, I initially got a blank stare from my Service Manager when I said I wanted to meet the GT-R tech. However, they accomodated me and I found him to be quite likable. We hit it off immediately. Now, everytime I come in, the tech comes to the front to greet me, as well. I've offered tips in the past for what I thought was service above and beyond, but the offer always declined, saying it was against the rules and they could lose their jobs for accepting. I've even "threatened" to bring them a 12 pack of their favorite brew, but then I was told they don't drink. Oh well, I tried.

Anyway, they're great guys and always treat me right. I'm lucky to have found them.

Incidentally, I have known this particular Assistant Service Manager since 2004 who had always taken great care of me. I had a 2004 350Z Track model that I took to this particular dealership for service routinely. I had a horrible buying experience with the Z and swore that particular dealership was never getting one dime from me for service and maintenance. I tried this particular dealership for service and hit it off well with the Assistant Service Manager and stayed with them ever since. Even with my "meager" Z, they treated me right. One day in mid 2009 I brought my Z in for its 60k maintenance and got to BS'ing about the GT-R with this Assistant Service Manager. I had never seen one in person. He told me they had one on the showroom floor and brought me inside to see it. After I went home all I could think about was that car. That night I told my wife, "Honey, I think its time we both got new cars." Since she was going to get a new car as well, the answer was a resounding "I agree." The next day, when my Z's maintenance service was done, I traded it in on the GT-R. The Service Manager oriented me to the car and I left my beloved Z behind and drove home in the GT-R.

Of note, I didn't have my checkbook with me. After completing the paperwork, the dealership let me take the car and just asked me to drop off the down payment check "at my convenience;" I dropped it off the next day. The entire purchasing experience was far more pleasant than I experienced buying the Z. I've been friends with the Service Manager ever since. I've also been friends with the GT-R tech since meeting him. They've always treated me well and consequently I've steered a lot of business their way. The way I see it, since they refused a monetary tip, new business = tip. The people I've steered their way to my knowledge have also been quite satisfied with the service they have received.

And for my wife, a week later she got a brand new 2009 BMW 335i with the Sport Package. Now we're a paddle shifter family.

Also, to the OP, ask your dealership to install your exhaust. They'll appreciate the business and will keep you in mind when it comes to favoritism in the future. If the tech is cool, he'll enjoy the opportunity to wrench on your car to improve it, rather than just another routine diagnose/repair. That's what I did and I believe it had a very positive effect on our business relationship.

And like Scott mentioned above, I've met Chris, the GT-R tech at Fontana Nissan. He's a great guy, as well! And for those of you who don't know, Scott at Fontana Nissan is a Time Attack racer extrordinaire. He was my instructor at my first track day.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
And for my wife, a week later she got a brand new 2009 BMW 335i with the Sport Package. Now we're a paddle shifter family.
Great choice. I really like the 335. Put a tune on it

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Great choice. I really like the 335. Put a tune on it
I really like the car for the times we need four seats. It really impressed me on the test drive. I have thought about getting a Cobb for it, but we need to have one intact warranty in the household.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts