Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my rears, new compound Dunlop tires and I have a strange noise coming from the rear right. It sounds like the rear right tire is hopping when taking a tight slow right hand turn ie less than 5kmh. There are no noises or issues when driving quicker. There are also no visible signs of damage to the right rear tire or wheel.

Is this normal?

I assume that this is just because the side walls on the run flats are new and not flexing very much but thought i`d check. It also might be worth noting that once getting back to Tokyo which is 9 or 10 degrees C warmer than the mountain (2 degrees C) the issue was less pronounced. Also I did a track session after only 300km of street use from new. The recommended distance is about 500km, but this is usually to ensure that the oils are out of the tires so the tire has maximum grip, so I dont think this would have an impact, but I am not a subject matter expert so thought I should mention that too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ Those appear to be rubber marbles like you might see on a track.

The noise could be the binding phenomenon unique to AWD cars. It tends to happen at low speeds or when the car is cold. Perhaps the new tire amplifies it. The other possibility is dirt between the hub and wheel when they remounted the wheel, or minute wheel & hub deformations (differing material properties) amplified by not remounting the wheel lug holes to the same studs.

In any case, it's safer to have a good mechanic check it out in case it's something more severe.

Another point to remember for AWD cars is that the tires should be roughly the same overall diameter. Ideally, they should be the same make and type due to potentially different wear characteristics.
http://www.tirerack....e.jsp?techid=18
I have a 6 monthly service offer frorm Nissan where they will check the tires, suspension, brakes engine etc for about $200. Think i will take them up on this offer and have them check it out whilst they do that. I should also really get an alignment done since both rear tires are brand new because of a puncture in the right rear.

Thanks for all of the advice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It turns out that I also had a bunch of rubber from the track on the inside of my tires. After cleaning them off the tire the noise is basically gone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.