Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had my new gtr with dunlop all seasons for 4 months/3000mi and 4 track days. the left front tire is getting very worn out and i would like to switch it with the right side. is that ok? thanks

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
If the tire is that worn down it's gonna need to be replaced.....you probably want to save a few bucks and switch it so the other tire gets worn down and then replace them both but I would advise against it.....running on a worn tire puts yourself and others in a dangerous situation if you suffer a failure at high speeds, especially on a track day....get a new tire and a proper alignment and you should be good to go.....

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tire doesnt need replacing yet. im just asking if the dunlop all seasons can be moved left to right. im not sure which but either directional or asymmetric shouldnt be switched

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
The Dunlop SP Sport is an assymetrical tire so my guess would be no....from the description for the tire....

"The SP Sport 7010 A/S DSST features an all-season, silica-reinforced tread compound molded into an asymmetric tread pattern to combine handling and traction. Large outboard shoulder blocks and continuous center ribs enhance initial responsiveness and cornering stability. Independent inboard intermediate and shoulder ribs are combined with three circumferential grooves to help resist hydroplaning. The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced by Dunlop's JointLess Band (JLB) spirally wrapped nylon to blend high-speed durability with uniform ride quality. SP Sport 7010 A/S DSST tires feature reinforced sidewalls that are designed to temporarily support the weight of the car even after a loss of air pressure."

I'm not a tire expert but from reading that I would not switch from left to right....

·
Registered
284 Posts
Directional tyres (ie. those with an arrow on the sidewall cannot be swapped side to side with out reversing the tyre on the rim, or else it will be running backwards (not good).

Asymetrical tyres (ie. those with dirrerent tread pattern from 1 side of the tread to the other) can be swapped side to side as the outside sidewall always remains on the outside (unless you reverse that tyre on the rim).

I do not know if the GT-Rs tyres are directional, asymetrical or both!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Unfortunately you cannot do this with the 7010's. They are asymmetrical, which is one of the reasons they perform so well in all situations being an all-season tire.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
After rethinking it I would guess they could be swapped.....even if switched the "outside" remains on the outside.....when they're put on one doesn't say left or right, just the outside tread pattern.....maybe someone that knows more about tires will chime in....

·
Registered
493 Posts
A number of us have run tires inside out and not noticed a difference. The GTR tires are non-directional but are assym. Ran the rest of my fronts off on one track day after having researched other comments. Worked fine. Just keep an eye on former outside edge (previously the outside--now inside where you have a little harder time noticing it unless you crank the steering). You will still have wear there on the track. If you are just streeting your car, the standard alignment is for some point between track and street, so if you just drive straight roads, the inside edge will wear, so everything depends on how many straights vs. corners you do.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
spoke to dunlop customer service today. they say the tire is asymmetric but NOT directional so it can be switched left to right without issue. a directional tire can only be switched front/rear (if same size obviously). asymmetric means the tire has to be mounted on rim with outside of tire facing outside of rim.

i will rotate them and see how it goes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.