Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
So I am still running these POS stock tires which are killing me at the track. Last night I went up because it was a cool night and I thought ok, I should get it now.

Now, I am seeing people trapping significantly slower than me in the 10s. Last night I had a top trap of 131.5 mph and that run had me at 11.2 something. Brutal. Appalling 60ft (high 1.9s) with a high 3000 rpm launch.

First run was 11.13 trapping at 127 and change w/ a 1.79 60ft.

Of course, clearly the track sucked balls, but these tires are doing me no favours, that's for sure. Initially when i was getting frustrated during the summer, I was going to grab a set of Toyo Proxe R888s, but then read that they're noisy and really not a great street tire. Agree? Disagree?

So I am looking for a bit of a compromise for when I do need my next set of tires. Something BETTER than these stock tires for the track, since I'd really like to see what my 131.5 mph trap should be getting me, yet still passable for street driving?

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
your best bet for the drag strip on 20's is Nitto555R 275/40 in the front and 305 in the rear..

you will NOT spin with your power no matter how bad the track prep is..

that is your best choice if you want to go 10.7s or so

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's great, thank you.

Are they passable on the street, wrt not being 'too loud' like the Proxe R888s are said to be?

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
they are as quiet as stock tires..

what i did was ( i don't like DR on the front of my car) 275/40 nitto Invos and 305 nitto 555R in the rear , works well for my setup 800whp..

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they are as quiet as stock tires..

what i did was ( i don't like DR on the front of my car) 275/40 nitto Invos
Reason being?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Reason being?
dr's aren't all that great as a street tire as they are pretty bald and don't take corners too well, which is why i'm assuming he used invo's, aswell fronts wear quicker

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
He's right , front DRs do not handle all that good .. They have soft sidewalls and fold under turns.. The invos are not great but better then DRs in the front..

I have 3000 miles on my setup and it's stable and I have pretty good grip

18,290 Posts
Vegas hit it right on the head for the NT555s they are a great tire but again as stated not good on the street.

Not sure if you want to run different tires front to back but you can always go with Invos all around

-Jade

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
You only get to pick one from column A, and one from column B.

The Nittos are fine as a street tire. The R888's are fine as a street tire. Both are sticky, so they wear out fast. Both don't have much tread depth, so they aren't good in the wet. Both are making compromises as they are not a pure street tire.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Erik,

As Sean mentioned above, It would be great if there is a tire that can do everything, but unfortunately, you can really pick one from one of the aspect. In the end, it's all depends on what you really want the most. If you really want to improve the 1/4 mile time, I would get a 2nd set of wheels in the 18" or 19" that run dedicated on the drag radials, this way you won't sacrifice the street performance aspect. Again, as mentioned over the PMs, I won't recommend running the fronts and rears on different tires especially on all wheel drive cars. While it maybe ok if you don't push the car, if you try to push the car and the different slip angle on the tires can cause a disaster.

My two cents on the tires you mentioned:

Toyo R888, good sticky road track tires, requires warm up, soft rubber wears faster than normal street tires.
Nitto NT555R, good drag radial tires, soft sidewalls, wears fast on street.
Nitto Invo, average street tires, not a good choice for GT-R IMHO.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just installed the Nitto NT05's and I love them. They grip extremely well and much less road noise than oems. For the price (1k/set) you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I am fully aware I can't have the best of both worlds, hence my saying 'compromise' between the two. I am basically looking for a BETTER 1/4 mile tire that is not terrible on the street. Not looking for the best of both worlds, just a compromise b/w the two.

And I don't want to buy a whole new set of wheels to house a different set of tires.

So with the compromise in mind, any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
just go with vegas's setup and u'll be good

1 - 13 of 13 Posts