Registered
1,409 Posts
-Intakes
-Midpipe
-Catback
-Injectors
-ECUTEK and tune

Stay away from cobb.

I was very close to pulling the trigger on this exact setup last week. Thanks for sharing.
That's just my personal preference. I was an early adopter of Cobb w/my first GTR in '09 and their support was pure garbage back then. I tried them again w/my EVO x and their support was garbage again. I won't do business w/them anymore and ECUTek has a LOT more features at the sameish cost and seems to be the preferred choice for vendors. For FBO/tune- I don't think the difference is great, whatever your tuner prefers. Cobb's OTS tunes are convenient.

Their customer service is rude, insulting, and for such a big company- inexcusable.

·
Registered
63 Posts
-Midpipe
-Wheel spacers
-Brake pads
-Tail as Turn
-Lowering springs

Once all that simple stuff is done, start working towards FBO E85

·
Registered
35 Posts
My top 5 for a stock GT-R:
-Intakes
-Midpipe
-Catback
-Injectors
-Cobb AP & tune
Of course you're FBO at that point, but still easily reversible.
Non power related:
-Good tires (I went Michelin 4S 285 square. Huge improvement to ride quality over Dunlop's)
-Wheel spacers. H&R spacer kit really improves the stance.
-Clear corners, nice subtle clean look.
-Exhaust for sound.
-Clear 3M protective film over full front clip.
I've done all of the above and have no regrets.
+1

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts

-Intakes
-Midpipe
-Catback
-Injectors
-Cobb AP & tune

Non power related:
-Good tires (I went Michelin 4S 285 square. Huge improvement to ride quality over Dunlop's)
-Exhaust for sound.

-Intakes
-Midpipe
-Catback
-Injectors
-Cobb AP & tune

Non power related:
-Exhaust for sound.

Hello sir, whats your tires sizes on rear and front. Thanks

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hello sir, whats your tires sizes on rear and front. Thanks
Way back when I posted that, I had Michelin 4S 285/35/20 on all 4 corners. You can rotate the tires with a square setup but the rear wheel is wider so tires look more stretched in the rear. Later I swapped the rears for 295/35/20 and this looked better, but could no longer rotate. Both setups work great depending on what you're looking for.

Since then, I switched to 21" custom made BC forged wheels with Michelin 4S 275/35/21 F and 325/30/21 rear. They are 0.9" oversized but they fill out the wheel wheels great and have as much sidewall as a 20" setup.

·
Super Moderator
9,186 Posts
If not tuning the car:

1.extended paddle shifters
2. carbon fiber steering wheel
3. carbon fiber interior pieces
4. mid pipe and exhaust
5. carbon fiber front lip, side skirts and rear diffuser

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Turbos
Engine
Transmission
Fueling
Axles

Hhaha

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
OP wrote:
-What are your Top 5 overall mods for a mostly Stock'ish GTR? (List your TOP 5 below and thanks for sharing! :cheers: )

So it all depends on:
Budget
What is your priority? Power or Handling
What is your primary use? Street, Drag, Track, autocross, driving events?
How much do you street drive? Rarely vs daily.

Budget- this is a huge deal because it is easy to spend $10K to $50K on upgrades and still be "stockish". Having a budget before you start is a good way to prioritize how you approach modding. If you aren't pushing the car then you might go for cosmetic mods that make you feel good when you drive.

Power vs Handling- When you drive do you feel you need more power or do you hardly push the car? When you turn do you feel the car is planted? Are you driving mostly straight or do you have curvy roads to play on? If your priority is going straight but fast then you don't need much for suspension other than looks but you will benefit from wider wheels and grippy tires. If you never feel you have enough power then going for cheap and easy power mods is a place to start. But as power is increased you need to consider transmission upgrades to handle the power.

Primary use- If you only daily drive then you have options and don't need full upgrades to everything, however many owners choose to "look good" with nice wheels, a splitter/front lip, rear spoiler, and carbon fiber parts. Full aero upgrades aren't much help unless you track but they look nice. If you care about handling such as track or autocross then you need to think about tires, suspension, cooling, brakes, etc.

Daily driving- this will wear out tires faster if you run more front negative camber (for better handling at track or autocross) and will be reason for droning with an exhaust or more frequent tire replacement for grippy tires. Grippy tires are often firm riding, noisy and aren't good except in the dry. Having a set of street tires/wheels separate from track or drag use is helpful if you have the storage space.

Finally, are the mods something that can be easily converted back to OEM?

ECU map such as Ecutek or CobbAP - super easy, works with OEM or modded GTRs, allows for custom MAPs, work with an experienced tuner shop.
Mid pipe - loose some weight, choose design, diameter, go cat-less but keep a resonator or go larger pipe. Keep the OEM part in case you want to sell upgrade later.
Tires- a wear item that will give you max driving benefit. If you push the car you will want the best tires for your purpose. No tire does everything well so it's a compromise. Two sets of wheels for different uses is a good solution and can be sold used.
Driving school- For those that enjoy performance driving - this one mod for the driver gives benefits independent of any mods for your car. Simply put you drive better if you learn how to do it and work with the car. Well worth the investment but choose a good school or instructor that will help you at your given level.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts