Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Founder/Admin
26,011 Posts
http://www.topgear.c...could-be-coming

We know the next Nissan GT-R will utilise hybrid technology in its quest to vanquish any performance car that dare tread in its path. But watch out Tesla, because Nissan chiefs have admitted a future GT-R (which may take styling clues from the Vision GT concept, pictured above) could also go completely electric.

As Nissan launches its upgraded Leaf, its electric vehicle push gaining momentum post-dieselgate, its European EV Director Gareth Dunsmore is on a mission to make zero emissions exciting. Youd expect nothing less from a man who helped make the original Juke R a reality.

The rate of change over the last five years has been phenomenal,Dunsmore told TG. We cant build an electric GT-R today. But do I want to? Id love to. Will we be able to do that in the future? I cant see a technical reason why we wouldnt be able to implement electric vehicle technology in something like a performance vehicle.

Nissan, of course, has history with this sort of e-thing, producing both the Leaf RC concept and the Zeod RC racer, which completed the first ever zero emission lap of Le Mans in its infamously short stint in the 2014 race.

Were not doing these things randomly continued Dunsmore We have a passion for it.

It would be a phenomenal place to go, he said of an electrified GT-R.But wed need to do these things with credibility, take our expertise and know-how and make sure if we go to that step, its world beating, as the GT-R is today. It needs to be a world beater.

For sheer oh-my-God-my-kidneys acceleration, the electric-only Tesla Model S and its famous Insane and Ludicrous modes is one of the few cars that comes close to Godzilla.

But it appears Nissan wont let the Californians have a monopoly on e-cceleration. And happily, it seems the GT-Rs disregard for both expensive supercar exotica and internet comment box naysayers wont be halted by Nissans quest to make electric vehicles the norm.

An electric GT-R might be unlikely much before the end of this decade, but its certainly under consideration.

Excited much? Or should Godzilla always have a roaring six-cylinder petrol engine?

· Registered
350 Posts
http://www.topgear.c...could-be-coming

We know the next Nissan GT-R will utilise hybrid technology in its quest to vanquish any performance car that dare tread in its path. But watch out Tesla, because Nissan chiefs have admitted a future GT-R (which may take styling clues from the Vision GT concept, pictured above) could also go completely electric.

As Nissan launches its upgraded Leaf, its electric vehicle push gaining momentum post-dieselgate, its European EV Director Gareth Dunsmore is on a mission to make zero emissions exciting. Youd expect nothing less from a man who helped make the original Juke R a reality.

The rate of change over the last five years has been phenomenal,Dunsmore told TG. We cant build an electric GT-R today. But do I want to? Id love to. Will we be able to do that in the future? I cant see a technical reason why we wouldnt be able to implement electric vehicle technology in something like a performance vehicle.

Nissan, of course, has history with this sort of e-thing, producing both the Leaf RC concept and the Zeod RC racer, which completed the first ever zero emission lap of Le Mans in its infamously short stint in the 2014 race.

Were not doing these things randomly continued Dunsmore We have a passion for it.

It would be a phenomenal place to go, he said of an electrified GT-R.But wed need to do these things with credibility, take our expertise and know-how and make sure if we go to that step, its world beating, as the GT-R is today. It needs to be a world beater.

For sheer oh-my-God-my-kidneys acceleration, the electric-only Tesla Model S and its famous Insane and Ludicrous modes is one of the few cars that comes close to Godzilla.

But it appears Nissan wont let the Californians have a monopoly on e-cceleration. And happily, it seems the GT-Rs disregard for both expensive supercar exotica and internet comment box naysayers wont be halted by Nissans quest to make electric vehicles the norm.

An electric GT-R might be unlikely much before the end of this decade, but its certainly under consideration.

Excited much? Or should Godzilla always have a roaring six-cylinder petrol engine?
MC how do you think this will affect future modding ?

· Registered
2,018 Posts
in for a hybrid. 100% NOT IN for a pure electric car...

· Founder/Admin
26,011 Posts
MC how do you think this will affect future modding ?
well I mean this article is a bit of click bait as all they are saying is someone from nissan said eventually the GTR could be a total electric vehicle. given enough time every thing will be. if the GTR brand doesnt die it will eventually exist in a world with no fossil fuels and billions more people in the world

what they are talking about wont be until say after the R36 so you know 10-15+ years out I would guess at the very earliest. as for modding I think when the total EV GTR is out and these cars start offering only electric power and even semi autonomous driving these cars due to liability ect will be so locked down and monitored by the manufacturer they will probably detect any thing done to the car. These cars will rely on operating system updates ect instead of engine tunes and bolt on parts so think of it like a computer or phone OS or a modded xbox that wont be able to receive official updates. that is just my opinion on what will happen to the aftermarket when this shift does happen

we all know there will always be something that could be done to make it faster as people always innovate and figure out a way but I think it will be moved more to the fringe by then on these type cars. I know someone will say well everyone said the GTR ECU couldnt be broken in 2008 ect and look at the tuning market now. that is all true but not apples to apples when talking about EV tech years in the future as we have already seen the beginning of will start to be more like a device(smartphone ect) than what we think of as a car. my view of how it will all go down by the time we reach this being a reality is if some tuner boosts the current or swaps out something to up the power it will send red flags out immediately. and that isnt even considering how state laws ect might change as far as inspections ect.

bottom line I dont see future high performance EV compatible with the way the current aftermarket operates. but then again does it really matter? like the article said think about what tesla is doing with ludacris mode in 2015 on a non pure performance EV. and then think how technology advances and the fact it would be applied to a new generation of EV hypercars. could be scary fast

EV will be a while out. I think hybrid with small compact gas engines is the next big norm in the car world and definitely in the performance world. look at Formula E where they cant even run a single car for one race. so yes its coming but the true Hybrid era will hit first and we arnt even quite there on that yet. turbos are just now starting to be the go to in the general car population.

· Registered
350 Posts
well I mean this article is a bit of click bait as all they are saying is someone from nissan said eventually the GTR could be a total electric vehicle. given enough time every thing will be. if the GTR brand doesnt die it will eventually exist in a world with no fossil fuels and billions more people in the world

what they are talking about wont be until say after the R36 so you know 10-15+ years out I would guess at the very earliest. as for modding I think when the total EV GTR is out and these cars start offering only electric power and even semi autonomous driving these cars due to liability ect will be so locked down and monitored by the manufacturer they will probably detect any thing done to the car. These cars will rely on operating system updates ect instead of engine tunes and bolt on parts so think of it like a computer or phone OS or a modded xbox that wont be able to receive official updates. that is just my opinion on what will happen to the aftermarket when this shift does happen

we all know there will always be something that could be done to make it faster as people always innovate and figure out a way but I think it will be moved more to the fringe by then on these type cars. I know someone will say well everyone said the GTR ECU couldnt be broken in 2008 ect and look at the tuning market now. that is all true but not apples to apples when talking about EV tech years in the future as we have already seen the beginning of will start to be more like a device(smartphone ect) than what we think of as a car. my view of how it will all go down by the time we reach this being a reality is if some tuner boosts the current or swaps out something to up the power it will send red flags out immediately. and that isnt even considering how state laws ect might change as far as inspections ect.

bottom line I dont see future high performance EV compatible with the way the current aftermarket operates. but then again does it really matter? like the article said think about what tesla is doing with ludacris mode in 2015 on a non pure performance EV. and then think how technology advances and the fact it would be applied to a new generation of EV hypercars. could be scary fast

EV will be a while out. I think hybrid with small compact gas engines is the next big norm in the car world and definitely in the performance world. look at Formula E where they cant even run a single car for one race. so yes its coming but the true Hybrid era will hit first and we arnt even quite there on that yet. turbos are just now starting to be the go to in the general car population.
As always MC thanks for the awesome in detail answer! Agree that the new updates will be like jailbreaks on iPhones in a way to update ect and such. I know probably getting ahead of myself but it will be exciting !

· Registered
1,932 Posts
Can you imagine a night out at the dragway and all you hear is a brief tire squeal and a slight whirring sound down the track?!?!?

· Registered
1,228 Posts
Well Id sure like to here how the exhaust drone will be on this car.... LOL

"The new R36EV with recorded sounds of your favorite R35 FBO played through the stereo inside..."

· Registered
68 Posts
You ever driven a new tesla p90+?
Just a model S, but it is a one trick pony. In terms of boring, I mean there is going to be no aftermarket, no upgrades besides software upgrades, and heavy. If they expect to get any real power it will be 4500+ lbs or more so you can't even expect it to be a good track car. Not that a full electric would even be a good track car, what could be more engaging than a 1 gear car........... I would not be caught dead paying for a track day when I would get about the same experience playing with an ipad.

· Registered
2,438 Posts
I am not interested in an E- GTR at all.
I love the maybe new body still of the R-36 but will not buy because of Hybred complexities.
Low mileage R-35's will actually go up in value once the R-36 comes..........

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.