Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'll eat you like a KitKat woo who
1,357 Posts
I finally got @ to getting my GT-R re-tuned at TSM. The last time, I was there. My car made 545 AWHP w/ out the ID 1000's and 90mm exhaust. The stock injectors were maxed out at that point. I went back a few days ago and dropped my car off for the day. Doug worked his magic and my car put down 574 AWHP and 576 Tq. Oh my, the GT-R pulls like a freight train and very smooth throught out the whole RPM. I like to thank Cicio, Doug and the great group of guys, who took very good care of my GT-R. I'm extremely happy w/ the results and highly recommend TSM.

Cobb AP
TSM SD 93 Custom Tune
HKS Super Suction Kit
GFB Respons BOV
ID 1000's
Gotboost 3" intakes and upper I/C pipes
90mm CBRD MP
AMS Catless DP
90mm SS Exhaust(up for sale)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Could somebody please explain once and for all the pros and cons of SD tuning over using the MAF?
Tuners have managed to tune even high power big turbo set ups before SD came along, so why choose it?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Tuning via the MAF's tends to not be as smooth as a good SD tune. Reason being most maf's when logged will show a hysteresis in voltage variance through out the rpms and load ranges. This is due to the fact that airflow across the mafs is not truly smooth and has some turbulence with most intake designs. This turbulence while not a huge deal can cause some tuning issues as it effects which load sites the car operates in. This actually causes small variances in timing and fueling.

When tuning via MAFs you also run into air flow vs voltage limitations on high HP cars. As you increase the HP in the GTR you will get to a point where the maf sensor will actually max out just under 5v. The solution to this it to run a larger then stock maf housing. While doing this works you begin to loose the finer resolution and the maf voltage becomes less smooth. As a result the drive ability will suffer however most owners would never know a difference until they actually ditch the maf tuning and go SD.

I know because I have tuned many GTR's via MAF and those all drove perfectly smooth, no issues what so ever. But even those that felt perfectly smooth felt better with the switch to SD.

SD tuning doesn't use the MAF's to measure air but rather manifold pressure, rpms, and AIT. You then adjust 3D VE table to the setup of the car, and once done properly its very smooth throughout the entire range of operation.

Since SD measures manifold pressure and not maf you don't have to worry about fueling issues when running BOV's vented to Atmosphere. The major draw backs to SD would be if you lived in an area with extreme elevation changes, or weather changes. Also SD tuning requires that your tuner has a good grasp on the ideal gas law, and knows how to set everything up properly.

SD tuning has less margin of error as your tuning the cars VE and changing even small parts on the car can effect that, and is not something easily done via email.

In the end any calibration you get doesn't matter if its done with MAF or SD it will only be as good as the guy making it. So go with what your calibrator is most comfortable with.

Doug

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Cheers Doug. Interesting about the altitude and weather considerations. So SD loses the ability to compensate for such variations?
Litchfield in the UK, say that ECUtek can use a hybrid system which uses MAF at lower levels, then switches seamlessly to SD (presumably as boost/load increases?).

·
Registered
262 Posts
Cheers Doug. Interesting about the altitude and weather considerations. So SD loses the ability to compensate for such variations?
Litchfield in the UK, say that ECUtek can use a hybrid system which uses MAF at lower levels, then switches seamlessly to SD (presumably as boost/load increases?).
It does not loose the ability to compensate for this, however you would need to have the comp tables that it uses for this setup correctly.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If one wants to convert over to an SD tune what is needed?

At what power level do you max out the MAF sensors with 3" intakes?

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
If one wants to convert over to an SD tune what is needed?

At what power level do you max out the MAF sensors with 3" intakes?
We start seeing them max out around 550-575whp on our dyno.

There is nothing needed to convert, just the tune. I would be happy to help you out with it if you like.

~Cicio

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.