·
Registered
221 Posts
Domination!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Cool video!!!

A better and fairer test would be versus the 911 Turbo...

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
When the video shows the "Pro" drifting the Gt3 thru the corners, it is like braking instead of accelerating out of a turn. He is killing the lap. It is similar to watching a car do a 3 second burnout at the start of a drag race - you will be far behind the other guy that is hooking up.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
When the video shows the "Pro" drifting the Gt3 thru the corners, it is like braking instead of accelerating out of a turn. He is killing the lap. It is similar to watching a car do a 3 second burnout at the start of a drag race - you will be far behind the other guy that is hooking up.
as much as I love the GT-R, gotta agree with this. The whole video of the GT3, I kept thinking how much time he is losing by drifting out of the towns so much. A little slide is ok, but smoking tire drifts??? got to be costing some serious time.

On the otherhand, I bet it is very fine line between pulling a quick, controlled lap in the GT3 vs being all sideways out of every turn, whereas in the GT-R it is relatively easy to pull quick laps in the GT-R every time.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
the GT3 is rear drive and rear engine. its going to slide and alot! unless modified the GT3 needs to reliy on the driver for a good fast lap.

Its true this is a pro drift driver mainly, but he is not drifting the porsche.

He could do a bit better lap without it slideing so much and the time would be a bit faster but overall the R35 would still win, especially if it were with the other GT-R tires.

·
Registered
85 Posts
the GT3 is rear drive and rear engine. its going to slide and alot! unless modified the GT3 needs to reliy on the driver for a good fast lap.

Its true this is a pro drift driver mainly, but he is not drifting the porsche.

He could do a bit better lap without it slideing so much and the time would be a bit faster but overall the R35 would still win, especially if it were with the other GT-R tires.
Well, consider that Craig Stanton turned a 1:32.2 in a 997tt on street tires with a passenger, then a 1:28.x in a 996Gt3 last month, and that Spec Boxsters (201hp) turn 1:34's at Willow Springs. Heck even a 110 hp 89 Civic can turn 1:37's there. 1:36 in a Gt3 is so far from the car's potential that one would have to wonder how much info can be gleaned from the test. It is true that the 911 platform is more difficult to drive, but that does not mean it is slower in the hands of an experienced driver.

·
Vendor
1,293 Posts
I love the GT3. I think there is something wrong with this test, as the GT3 should keep right up with the GTR. Its been a dog fight at every track I have visited thus far. The 996's for some reason have not been as competitive. I have yet to see a 997TT at the track. They seem to stay parked and the GT3 get all the lap times.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
even best motoring show the gt3 lacking behind the R35.

Like i said before i think this lap could have been faster in the GT3, but also with the other tires on the R35 that lap could be slightly faster aswell.

·
Registered
360 Posts
FWIW that is my GT-R and my buddy's GT3. We tested our cars the same day same driver as the COBB Tunning GT-R vs TechArt 997 Turbo test. My Stock GT-R beat both the 997 GT3 and 997 GT-Street Turbo, but we decided to put the modifieds together and the stock cars together.

Our Pro Driver Sam Hubinette had NEVER driven a GT-R before that day, and got perhaps 4 laps per car. he openly said he could bring the times down on all cars with some work. Despite that, he was only a second and a half off Steve Millen's GT-R Dunlop time and faster in the stock GT-R than the 997 GT2 time that Road and Track had recorded in better weather!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts