Nissan GT-R Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Vendor
5,237 Posts
Toyo Tires used GT-RR to debut the R888 20" tire to the world back at SEMA 2008 on our demo car. After that big debut at Toyo's booth, the world wanted the R888s but the tire was not yet ready. After nearly a year of extensive testing, Toyo has finally released the R888 tire for the GT-R. GT-RR is proud to represent Toyo and we welcome your inquires to provide you with these legendary tires.

At 285/35-20 and 315/30-20 these are the perfect tires to track your GT-R with your stock rims. They also are street legal and you can use them daily if you'd like! We are offering them for sale now. Contact us for pricing as details are being confirmed now.

-Patrick

Update:

We recently raised the pricing on GT-RR.com as a result of risking our relationship with Toyo Tires and their other tire distributors/dealers. As you know, we're very close with Toyo (our demo car is their R888 demo car) so we must be careful with how we represent them as their dealer. The initial pricing we released was dangerously low, far lower than all other dealers selling these tires and in some cases cheaper than most people are selling 19"s! For all NAGTROC members, we'd still like to keep the price at the original $1598 to honor our commitment of offering these tires as cheap as possible to the community. However please understand that we had to adjust our website price slightly (we're still the cheapest online even with the slight price increase on gt-rr.com). When contacting us, simply mention this thread and the price of $1598 and we'll be glad to honor that price for you!

Thanks for everyone's continued support!

-Mike Bratcher

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just some quick clarification if you don't mind (we're going to be in the market for new tires in the next couple months):

Stock wheels: front=20x9.5 rear=20x10.5
Stock tires: front=255/40/20 rear=285/35/20

Toyo R888's in front=285/35/20 rear=315/30/20 will fit on the stock GTR wheels with stock suspension and no rubbing or other fitment/driveablilty issues?

I assume then that they'll fit just fine as well on a set of 20 inch volk G2's which have slightly more aggressive offsets and are 1/2 an inch wider front and rear? Also, these are not runflats correct?

Thanks!

·
Vendor
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for giving us the opportunity to clarify that. These are the same sizes as the tires we had on our SEMA cars and we had no issues with rubbing whatsoever. Obviously there are certain modifications that do have the potential to cause rubbing, but a stock car should have no problem with rubbing. Wheels that are slightly more aggressive than stock offsets should be just fine (and I think the G2's look great, BTW).

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

·
Premium Member
4,308 Posts
+1 on the price..

So i'll have no issues whatsoever with my G2's?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Also would like to know weight and how applicable these would be as a use on a daily driver.

·
Registered
213 Posts
OMG!!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
It's great news that Toyo are now making R888s in 20" sizes, I've used them exclusively on my Z06 for years and they are fantastically grippy.

However, just a couple of questions:

- are these widths definitely ok on the stock rims? 315 sounds very wide for a 10.5" rim
- have Toyo increased the sidewall stiffness over other sized R888s as they are well-known for being quite soft which was not a problem on the lightweight Z06, but I was wondering how they worked on the heavy GT-R, i.e. did you/they do specific testing with GT-Rs?

As a track/summer road tyre, the R888s were amazing on my Vette, but for wet and cold use, they lack traction. Just FYI.

·
Vendor
4,614 Posts
It's great news that Toyo are now making R888s in 20" sizes, I've used them exclusively on my Z06 for years and they are fantastically grippy.

- are these widths definitely ok on the stock rims? 315 sounds very wide for a 10.5" rim
- have Toyo increased the sidewall stiffness over other sized R888s as they are well-known for being quite soft which was not a problem on the lightweight Z06, but I was wondering how they worked on the heavy GT-R, i.e. did you/they do specific testing with GT-Rs?

As a track/summer road tyre, the R888s were amazing on my Vette, but for wet and cold use, they lack traction. Just FYI.
Open the link on post # 8.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Open the link on post # 8.
I did, that's why I want to know if any development work has been done since then.

The Dunlops are a fantastic tyre, so it will be interesting what advantages the R888 can bring to the table (not forgetting they are not runflats).

·
Registered
1,370 Posts

david
How do these tires do in heavy rain? Do they hydroplane more so than a standard high performance street tire like the PS2's?

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Awesome Tires. Currently being used on our 500whp Time Attack STi for the Redline Time Attack & Super Lap Battle Series.

·
Vendor
4,614 Posts
I did, that's why I want to know if any development work has been done since then.

The Dunlops are a fantastic tyre, so it will be interesting what advantages the R888 can bring to the table (not forgetting they are not runflats).
It would be interesting if someone in the know from Toyo or equivelent could let us all know if they improved upon their test outing that Mindless posted.

I'm getting close to needing new rubber and I'd be interested in these but not until I see real world results. Getting sick of us being test rats for some of the products currently out there!

With the weight of the GT-R I hope they increased the sidewall stiffness since the first test.

·
Who Dat !
7,797 Posts
+5... price vs oem runflats? Deciding between this and the stock Dunlop summers

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
1. +6 on price
2. Width seems too wide for stock wheels???

Peter

1 - 20 of 198 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.