Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of sources tell me that the 2012 runs significantly cooler on track than the 2009-11.

One source, from a very fast driver, told me he could overheat his 09 in 5-8 minutes of hard driving, with aftermarket coolers. He now has a stock 2012 and can run a full 25-min session without overheating.

Another source says that after 3-4 hard laps, as his fluid temps approach 260F, his 2012 cuts boost and there is a noticeable power decrease, but temps remain below 260F.

Looking for additional feedback from experienced track guys running 2012's.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
No, they are the same for me. I have 4 2012's customers going to track with me and I have tried their cars, I didn't notice the differences. Tranny temp is still up high after 4,5 laps.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
With my cooler it is tough to go over 240 I'd question someone who overheats with a tranny cooler

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I have a couple of sources tell me that the 2012 runs significantly cooler on track than the 2009-11.

Looking for additional feedback from experienced track guys running 2012's.
Having been on track with at least 2 2012's running hard at track with pi-man and seeing them turn some fast laps, their temps were lower than ours, and Robert had a WillAll cooler. There were no controlled comparisons, but the evidence seemed valid.

·
Vendor
4,614 Posts
Having been on track with at least 2 2012's running hard at track with pi-man and seeing them turn some fast laps, their temps were lower than ours, and Robert had a WillAll cooler. There were no controlled comparisons, but the evidence seemed valid.
Shawn, do you think the larger coolant lines from the engine to trans is the main contributor to the lower temps?
Has anyone figured out the exact parts needed to change an earlier model to the 2012 rubber and metal trans coolant lines?
Since I'm doing a major build soon I'd like to change them out if possible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ran my 12 on the track this last summer on a 105 degree day, four 25 min sessions. Highest temp was 240-250. Had a Gallardo go into limp mode and a 370z overheat. Unfortunately there weren't any other gtrs there to compare...... but the car ran great in such miserably hot weather.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Shawn, do you think the larger coolant lines from the engine to trans is the main contributor to the lower temps?
No.

Multiple contributing factors:

1. Increased airflow to coolant system, which cools transmission fluid.
2. Reingeneered coolant to heat exchanger system. There are more than just the coolant lines involved. Some of the necks on the engine bay appear to be different as well. But, the clamped down section reduced flow through that section theoretically by 60% due to the decrease in size. Not a small number.
3. Mutiple new airflow patterns around the rear of the car. At least two new NACA ducts in the undertray, and two side ducts for the exit of air, and an extended rear undertray has an effect on airflow.
4. Air duct to the oil cooler is DIFFERENT with the new bumper. While this may not make a HUGE difference, it is a change. I don't think Mizuno-san and team retooled a whole line just for jollies, or "marketing panache".

These FOUR changes in total appear to work together to make a difference.

Has anyone figured out the exact parts needed to change an earlier model to the 2012 rubber and metal trans coolant lines?
Since I'm doing a major build soon I'd like to change them out if possible.
No, not yet. I have found that at least the bigger clamps are needed, and the lines up to the engine must be fully replaced. I do not know if the redesigned necks with larger orifices will be required. If so, this will be a MAJOR pain. However, one CAN make a larger coolant hose fit on a smaller neck, so this may not be required, but I may not get the full benefits of the newly redesigned system as a result. I'm getting a lift appointment sometime before track season hits full swing.

Shawn

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I guess the configuration of the tracks making the biggest difference. Very hard to compare temp without being at the same track.
plus one million. AND, I have figured out that different drivers drive THIS particular car very very differently, and the style of driving appears to have a major impact on temps. Where one of us may see 10-12 deg. lower temp, another may not see any difference.

Shawn

·
Happy in Hermosa
1,534 Posts
plus one million. AND, I have figured out that different drivers drive THIS particular car very very differently, and the style of driving appears to have a major impact on temps. Where one of us may see 10-12 deg. lower temp, another may not see any difference.

Shawn
Short shifting, perhaps?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With my cooler it is tough to go over 240 I'd question someone who overheats with a tranny cooler
In my experience it's not tough to go over 240F. I hit 260F in most afternoon sessions, with the HKS DCT cooler.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Short shifting, perhaps?
There are a couple of tracks I have run where it is just a little faster to downshift to 2nd in one or two corners. I have seen my tranny temps stay noticeably cooler if I just stay in 3rd for those corners. So, in my experience, and it certainly seems to make sense, less shifting = cooler temps.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Multiple contributing factors:
1. Increased airflow to coolant system, which cools transmission fluid.
2. Reingeneered coolant to heat exchanger system. There are more than just the coolant lines involved. Some of the necks on the engine bay appear to be different as well. But, the clamped down section reduced flow through that section theoretically by 60% due to the decrease in size. Not a small number.
3. Mutiple new airflow patterns around the rear of the car. At least two new NACA ducts in the undertray, and two side ducts for the exit of air, and an extended rear undertray has an effect on airflow.
4. Air duct to the oil cooler is DIFFERENT with the new bumper. While this may not make a HUGE difference, it is a change. I don't think Mizuno-san and team retooled a whole line just for jollies, or "marketing panache".
Excellent info Shawn, thanks.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
There are a couple of tracks I have run where it is just a little faster to downshift to 2nd in one or two corners. I have seen my tranny temps stay noticeably cooler if I just stay in 3rd for those corners. So, in my experience, and it certainly seems to make sense, less shifting = cooler temps.
I don't track much, but I notice that when I do minimal shifting the temps rose slower and when I just left my car in 6th gear to cool down during the session it would cool dow pretty nicely.

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
If you let the car dictate the balance, it goes SMOOOTH.

You can manhandle the car to make it very quick, though.

If you MAKE the car obey you, it will go FAST, but smooth? Nope. I've had full HPDE instructors say this is NOT what they want any of their students to do.

Shawn
If I was in the passenger seat with an inexperience driver wheeling a 600HP car I would tell him not to try to MAKE the car obey you too

Man that video never gets old.

~Cicio

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
I read somewhere that the 2012 has a bigger thermostat or that that it opener higher to allow more flow.
Opens 1mm more, according to what I remember. Its a number of things all adding up to help cool the trans/diff/rear of the car. I think the NACA ducts, plus venting help a lot with airflow around the box.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Does anyone has overheating issues with DBA cars?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.