Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going my fist track even and I was wondering where would be a good place to order an Helmet? What specs do you look for?

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Sparco makes some pretty cool carbon fiber helmets. Lightweight, plus good airflow would be my #1 and #2 things to look out for when choosing a helmet. Obviously safety is of importance too (FIA, Snell certs.)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Most companies are all priced relatively the same in this aspect. Look for an SA2010 rating the 2015 rating should be hitting in Octoberish

I have a white Bell Vador with Blue Chrome visor and I love it.

I use SafeRacer.com they usually have some discounts for NASA and SCCA members.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
I ride bikes too, so I just use one of my Arai Corsair V helmets.

Usually use an Iridium visor as well.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would go to a shop locally and try a few on - you may prefer an open face helmet if you aren't planning on driving in open cockpit cars. Also if you wear glasses it's good to try before you buy to see how easy it is to put your glasses on with the helmet. Also some helmets are easier to put on and remove than others. Then there's the extras - like comms systems and HANS etc.

I just use a very basic open face helmet: Sparco Pro Jet. I can put on my sunglasses if it's bright.

Buy a balaclava to go with the helmet, it's easier to keep clean if you use one, you will get sweaty on the track.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
You can check with the track if they have any requirements for helmets (open vs closed face, which safety ratings are minimum)

Snell has M2010/2015 rating which is for motorcycles and autocross and SA2010 which is fire rated for motorsports on a track.
http://www.smf.org/cert

·
Banned
1,568 Posts
I just use a very basic open face helmet: Sparco Pro Jet. I can put on my sunglasses if it's bright.

Buy a balaclava to go with the helmet, it's easier to keep clean if you use one, you will get sweaty on the track.
I have one just like this one except in black. It's a no name SA2010 helmet I picked up for $129.99 New. I was told it was ok for HPDE events/auto x.
Not sure about anything else as I haven't got there yet. I wear glasses and the open face helmets are the most comfortable for me.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the feed back.

·
Hey girl, you got a soccer ball? Thought maybe we
925 Posts
Snell rating 2015 helmets go on sale in 2 months. I'm waiting to purchase my new one then.

Sent from my SM-G920V using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Bell M4 is popular too.

·
I Haul Ass
1,871 Posts
Whatever you do, don't just order a helmet from the Internet without trying it on in person first. Visit your local speed shop, try on a few different brands and sizes, and see which one fits you best.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just put on my Motorycle helmet! Justifies $600 for a helmet when I get dual usage. Or it just makes me feel like it does. Lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts