Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I traded in my minty, always stock white on white 2017 for.... a minty (always stock?) white 2020 Track edition...

Background

Before I start, let me mention I've been lurking on this forum for years so this is my first post. I've had GTR powered cars since 2003 (first rb26 powered S13 state side), but only stepped into an R35 in 2017. In April of 2017, I had 3 cars I was shopping for: A 2018 GT3 manual. A Viper ACR w/exteem package. A white (preferably white on white) 2017+ GTR.

After work one day, I went to the the Porsche dealer and told them I wanted to order one of the new GT3s. They blew me off, saying I need to "Have a relationship with them first" lol. They said I would first need to "get into" a Cayman, then "step up to" a Carrera, and THEN we "can talk" GT3's. Uhh... I told the sales guy duces, went across street that very moment and bought a white on white 2017 GTR.

Had it for the past 5 years. Never modified a single thing on it. The only thing I replaced on it was the factory battery once it expired after 4yrs. Put 9800 miles on it mostly in the mountains. Didn't use it to drive around town or get groceries or go to work. Pretty much just strictly Blood Mountain and Tail of the Dragon once every other month.

So for the past few years I've been wanting something a bit more raw. Not faster, just more raw. The majority of my previous cars were sub 2000lb stripped out, no ac or radio 500-800hp cars. I made a big change in 2013 and got an E92 M3 to be more civilized. Modified it with basically all the boltons, tune, full akrapovic evolution exhaust, intake, crank pulley. Dynoed right under 400whp. That was one of the best sounding cars I had, but was just way too slow from what I was used to. I stepped it up to the GTR and though it was satisfyingly fast, is lacked the rawness of a GT3RS etc...

One of the main reasons I never modified it, was because I was debating whether to modify it to be more raw, or just sell it and get a GT3RS. So instead of doing either, I just sat on the sidelines doing nothing.

Then I went to the mountains 2months ago with a good friend that had just bought a 991.1 GT3RS. The stock GT3RS and GTR were neck an neck going through the mountain roads. On the highway I would walk him slightly, especially over 100mph when his wing produces a good bit of drag. However in the turns under 100mph were dead even. Maybe with a professional racecar driver the 991.1 G3RS would of been faster, but for mere mortals, they are perfectly matched. Another friend also brought along a supercharged Arial Atom which destroyed us both.

We exchanged cars and drove them up and down the mountain roads. While the GT3RS was no faster than the stock GTR, the experience was vastly different. GT3RS is raw and visceral. I confirmed then and there that it was what I was looking for. Either in the form of a 991 GT3RS, 458 or a modified GTR/Nismo.

If I were to keep the 2017, the mods I had planned on doing were weight reduction (CF Seats, Battery, Pilot Cup2s on GA1Rs), CCB's, Akrapovic Evolution and Nismo turbos. Pushing around 650whp and 3700lbs. Basically +200hp with -200lbs for a fun quick spooling mountain road setup.

One thing I wish is more shops would offer is quick spool turbo setups for under 750whp. Like the absolute fastest spooling turbo setup possible for 650-700whp in the form of BW EFRs or Garret G series. The only setup I see available Gseries but sized for upwards of 1150whp. Not everyone wants turbos capable of 1000+hp, I would much rather pay more for a kit that has G series sized for 700whp than I would for one that spools even the slightest bit slower. Anyways I'm going off on a tangent/rant, but basically since there is not a kit with nismo turbo equivalents, I would just have to source some used ones.

The Trade

So after GT3RS experience, I reached out to a local Atlanta Nissan dealer that had an array of used GTRs. They seemed to collect them. Spoke with the GM about selling them mine. For a 2017 white on white premium leather with 9800miles, they quoted me 105K, which is low/fair in today's market (bought it new 5 years ago for 98K even though it had a 117K sticker)

At that point I started searching for my next car. So 200-240K range, I was looking at 458 and 991.1 and maybe a 991.2 GT3RS. I was price checking specific GTRs that have factory CCBs. So I thought that meant the 2021 Millennial Jade or the 2020+ Nismo. I found one Millennial Jade in Tx that originally wanted 206K. I was on the fence on it, and the GF wanted me to get it over a GT3RS (don't know if I agree). That guy bumped the price to 225K since. I contacted a Cali dealer that did not have the price listed and they wanted 270K for their Millennial Jade. Yeah, No... 180-200K is already pushing it. The main reason I wanted it was the factory CCBs. Wider front fenders and Nismo wheels were also a plus but that wasn't worth 2X the price of my 2017. The Nismo was out of question since the 2020+s were 250-300K. So it seemed that GTRs were off the list. That is until.....

This Saturday the GM reached out with a more "GT3RS like" GTR that he just got in a day or two ago. At first I blew it off, as I figured it was just going to be basically a newer version of what I had. But glancing at the thumbnail sent, I noticed the calipers seemed yellow rather than gold. What the heck? I clicked on it and sure enough it has CCB's off the Nismo. Then it said it had the 600hp engine out of the Nismo. WTF?! How is that possible? How did this slip under radar. I've owned a GTR for the past 5yrs, and been price checking them almost daily for the past 6 months. I knew of what I thought were Track editions but had no idea the 2020 was a whole nother cup of tea.

I did a quick search and confirmed that for 2020 only, Nissan did in fact make a Nismo powered track edition with the new GT3 race car turbochargers with optional CCBs and a Carbon roof along with all the other Nismo chassis bonding, wider fenders, Nismo wheels, carbon spoiler, Nismo seats etc. Essentially a subtle looking 2020 Nismo. I could not find any 2020 track editions FS nation wide to see what they go for. Then I saw the MSRP was 147K with two possible options. One option was CCBs which was +15K. The other option was a Carbon fiber roof (9lbs lighter) but I have no idea how much that option cost. So I was looking at a sticker price of at least 162K, (Back when you could get them for anywhere near sticker). It had 17K miles verses my 2017s 10K miles. Though it's so silly rare, you just can't pick and choose. Then he said he'll sell it to me for 145K and bump my 105K quote for my GTR the previously gave me to 108 if I do a trade. On top of that, since I'm trading my 2017, 7.1K of the sales tax of my trade in goes towards the 9K sales tax of the 2020.. Uhh...

Once I saw that on Saturday at 1pm, I literally got up, grabbed the keys and ran out the door. Got there an hour later, and bought it an hour after that. I don't know how much these 2020 Nismo powered w/CCB track editions go for since I have never seen one for sale, but even with 17K miles, I'm certain 145K is a smoking deal. My gut was telling me that if I did not buy it that day, somebody else was going to snag it up in a day or two. If it had 1-2K miles instead of 17K I would not hesitate to spend 200K on it. Its way more of a car than the Millennial Jade and just under the 2020 Nismo.

So.... How does it compare to a 2017 premium?

It is night and day different. It is every bit as raw as the 991 GT3RS that I drove in the mountains, which is exactly what I was searching for. The suspension seems twice as stiff which some reviewers claim its too harsh, but I love it. It pulls a good bit harder too. The standard GTR pulls like a freight train already, but this Nismo powered one with the GT3 turbos is just giggle fast. When turning in my premium to exchange for this one, I purposely kept gunning the premium through out the gears where I could, so that I could directly compare them back to back. Its substantially faster. The 2020+ Nismo also burbles and pops during shifts/downshift so this one is the same which was entertaining. The shifting has been updated to be more aggressive in the 2020 Nismo, so that was evident as well. There is 0 body roll, and it feels 1000lbs lighter which I attribute to the CCB's. Sounds (aside from the burbles and pops) is pretty much the same. The seats hug you better. It's truly lives up to the track edition name.

Mod Plans...

I've always been quality over quantity, so I plan to keep pretty simple: Akrapovic Evolution exhaust, 3" AMS CF intakes, Stock GT3 turbos and downpipes, Fuel if needed and a mild tune of 600-650hp VIA Cobb. Matte gold GA1Rs in 20x10.5 and 20x11 with 285/295 Pilot Cup2s. Sparco QRT-C fixed carbon buckets + rear carbon buckets w/o seatbelts and a 30ah Antigravity battery. I've always been a weight weenie so my goal is 359Xlbs. This one should be low 3800s stock (will check on my scales) so to shed another 220lbs. What I have planned cuts 180ish lbs so I'll have to find another 40lbs. That is assuming it weighs 3820-30. I'll find out what my base line weight is soon. The build is just simple, clean, light, responsive & tossable.

Conclusion...

This 2020 Track edition is exactly what I've been looking for and I had no idea it even existed. I've always known about the track editions, but I had no clue Nissan went to this extent they did with the 2020 and its engine out of the Nismo with optional CCBs. I searched on here (from last year) and there are 9 (nine) 2020 track editions on the registry. This one is not one of the serial numbers so there are at least 10. Anyone have a updated figure on how many 2020 track editions were made? I would imagine it would of impacted 2020+ Nismo sales since it was 45K cheaper (w/ccb) so is that why they canned it in 2021? Also, the carbon roof was only available on the 2020 track edition as an option. Does anyone know how much that option was from Nissan? Is there a way to determine original sticker price based on VIN? Even though it has 17K miles (1 owner, clean carfax), I feel 145K for this optioned-out 2020 track edition was a killer deal. What do you guys think? Has anyone seen a 2020 track edition with CCBs for sale in the past 6months? If so, how much?

Here are some pictures:

GT3RS and 2017 Premium Mountain Drive

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Window

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

2020 Track Edition W/CCBs & Carbon Roof

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Fixture Automotive design

My 2017 Trade-in (Let me note that there are only 17 2017 GTRs that are white on white. They just listed mine today for 125K which I felt was a pretty low asking price. You would be hard pressed to find a cleaner used GTR no matter what year. Its in way better condition than the 2020 track edition I exchanged it for. It is absolutely immaculate. Not even a hairline scratch on the underside of the original front splitter... It comes with all docs and the original window sticker. If you are in the market, this is as clean as clean gets. Never been modified. Just a heads up if someone is looking for a truly great example with no funny stories. Get it before some other lucky guy does. You can probably negotiate it down to 118-120)

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

2020 Track Edition

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow congrats the white track editions looks so clean. really love those wheels
Thank you Sir! I'm super happy with it. I never cared for the carbon spoiler on the track editions, but it's growing on me now after seeing it in person. The carbon roof needs to grow on me some more. I'd rather it match the body color than exposed CF. But overall, I'm starting to like the contrast. I guess I got used to the solid white 2017.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Great story and great looking car. I’m probably a little more jealous of your nice big garage.

I have a black edition with the carbon fiber spoiler and I didn’t really care for the look so I had clear bra put on it to make it glossy and it looks much better to me. I think that would make it look better on yours since the roof is gloss carbon fiber. Looks a little strange having gloss carbon roof and matte carbon spoiler.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Enjoy your New Beast...I got to ask is the dealer going to replace or fix that rim?...It appears to have been curbed
Thanks! I only had yesterday enjoy it so far. It's a blast.

Yep, its being addressed right now as part of the deal. Dropped it off this morning. Its going for a 2nd detail, then the body shop is going to paint correct the bumper rock/chips, then PPF the front end and roof and ceramic coat everything else. Two wheels got curb rash so they had the dealers "wheel restore guy" come pick them up this afternoon to restore and refinish with the correct paint code. It was roughly 2500 cost I negotiated into the price.

Oh and by the way, I am excited I got my first post trophy award! Everyone gets a trophy!
Rectangle Handwriting Font Parallel Logo

·
Registered
2020 Bayside Blue
104 Posts
Congrats! Nice story! Enjoy them in good health.

Reactions: TheSnail

·
Alberta Oil & Gas
6,012 Posts
That’s a beauty!! Congrats and Happy Motoring…

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh. My. God. What are the odds?! I did EXACTLY the same thing you did. Even traded the EXACT same Spec of a car. I had a 2018 Premium Pearl White on Ivory, and traded it in on a 2021 Track Edition. Great minds think alike, and congrats on the new car sir. I can also agree it is night and day difference. I have 150 miles on my TE, and had 1.8K miles on my old one.
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Cloud

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle White

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh. My. God. What are the odds?! I did EXACTLY the same thing you did. Even traded the EXACT same Spec of a car. I had a 2018 Premium Pearl White on Ivory, and traded it in on a 2021 Track Edition. Great minds think alike, and congrats on the new car sir. I can also agree it is night and day difference. I have 150 miles on my TE, and had 1.8K miles on my old one.
Wow! That is bizarre. What are the chances of that! The white on Ivory premium is rare enough, not to mention the track edition. I did not know they even made a 2021 Track edition. I though they stopped at 2020. I wonder how many of each year were made? Probably less than two dozen if I had to guess. Are you going to drive yours or preserve it? I'd imagine once the reality that the GTRs are no longer in production reaches the masses, a car like yours with under 1k miles would be 250K. It might already be at 250K given the price of the Nismo, and Millenial Jade. If not, it will get there in a couple of years. I know I would have a hard time deciding what to do if I were in your shoes. I'd probably preserve it.

With my new one, it has nearly double the milage as my 2017. My old one I did not want to break 10K miles, but this new one at 17K, I'm just going to drive it. I'm sure I could still sell it in a few years with 40K miles on it for at least what I bought it for.

I do know the track edition came in white, black & red. They are so rare, it's not like we could pick and choose colors, so kudos to finding a white one. Its the best color. Judging from your white on ivory trade-in, we have identical taste, so I know obtaining a white Track edition was a pretty big deal for you. Kudos once again and thanks for sharing.

·
Super Moderator
9,186 Posts
Add in some ethanol tuning and watch the spool be absolutely addicting.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Awesome. Love the GTR in white. Slight preference to the premium as far as looks with the all white look but that’s an easy change if desired

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. I agree, I could do a white wrap on the spoiler and roof if the exposed carbon never grows on me. It would be like ppf as well so it would protect it for when/if I go to sell it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just bought these car scales 10min ago as the first item purchased for the new GTR. Once they arrive, I'll start a weight reduction/build thread and do a baseline weight of the GTR bone stock. I was always curious what the exact weight was, so now I will know.

I'm going to do a bone stock weigh-in (including user manual, floormats etc.). Three measurements for three different fuel levels: Empty (as soon as the fuel light turns on), Half filled (As indicated by the fuel gauge as half), Full (Once the fuel nozzle clicks/stops at the fuel pump).

Font Automotive lighting Audio equipment Automotive tire Auto part

1 - 20 of 24 Posts